PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie? Just say NO

LASOXFAN
10-01-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm dismayed to see that Guillen seems to be a legitimate candidate for manager. He's inexperienced and left the team in a rather class-less way, blasting players, etc. I would rather see the Sox replace Kimm with Ozzie, that would be great. But to manage? That will be a disaster.

Bring on Gaston, Randolph or Backman.

JJAustin69
10-01-2003, 12:15 PM
I don't really think Guillen is the best choice either. Maybe popular to some but I am tired of watching new managers get broken in at our expense.

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 12:27 PM
No Ozzie. Unless they create a new position for him,
Secretary of Fun or something similar. To bring him back with other intentions would be very CubLike, something to get the
fans talking about and the media writing about

CHISOXFAN13
10-01-2003, 12:31 PM
How would bringing back Guillen be Cubslike? They hired a guy who managed in the World Series last year.

I wish the Sox organization had the balls to hire someone with those type of credentials.

RichH55
10-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
How would bringing back Guillen be Cubslike? They hired a guy who managed in the World Series last year.

I wish the Sox organization had the balls to hire someone with those type of credentials.

Todd Hundley ring a bell? Josh Paul ring a bell? They bring back people for "name reconigtion(sic)" and factors like that...........I could do without Ozzie as a Manager...bench coach? Something like that....That could work

I also don't want Gaston either....I guess I'm leaning towards Hargrove right now, but it wouldn't take much to move me from that position

fuzzy_patters
10-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Todd Hundley ring a bell? Josh Paul ring a bell? They bring back people for "name reconigtion(sic)" and factors like that...........I could do without Ozzie as a Manager...bench coach? Something like that....That could work

I also don't want Gaston either....I guess I'm leaning towards Hargrove right now, but it wouldn't take much to move me from that position

Let me see if I can move you.

Cito Gaston = World Series champions in 1992 & 1993

Isn't the idea to win the Series? What's wrong with hiring a guy who knows how to do it?

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 12:55 PM
IM not totally ripping on OZZY, i just think he could help the team in other areas. Heres an Idea for the SOX. GET YOUR SPANISH LANGUAGE Broadcasts up to Par, and Have OZZY as the Lead Commentator. The sox havent Noticed, but some of our Big Stars are Latin, and Chicago has a huge LATIN and ASIAN community. Built In. Just waiting to be marketed/catered to

mrwag
10-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
They hired a guy who managed in the World Series last year.

Joe Torre, anyone? That's who I want to see in the Sox dugout next spring.

kittle42
10-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Josh Paul ring a bell? They bring back people for "name reconigtion(sic)" and factors like that.

OK. Thinking that the Cubs brought back Josh Paul for name recognition is worse than any conspiracy thread.

KingXerxes
10-01-2003, 02:16 PM
They better not be serious about hiring Ozzie Guillen. It would be an unmitigated disaster. Can you see him trying to manage the media? The team would be a circus.............a big under .500 circus.

Kilroy
10-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I like the idea of Ozzie managing, but the Sox as they are today, and probably next year wouldn't be the right fit. If the team were younger overall, I think he'd be a perfect hire, in the same vein as Tony Perez. His energy is what you want to see, and I think he will make a damn fine manager. But not for this Sox team.

duke of dorwood
10-01-2003, 02:43 PM
I'm telling ya' its gonna be Don Baylor

mandmandm
10-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
IM not totally ripping on OZZY, i just think he could help the team in other areas. Heres an Idea for the SOX. GET YOUR SPANISH LANGUAGE Broadcasts up to Par, and Have OZZY as the Lead Commentator. The sox havent Noticed, but some of our Big Stars are Latin, and Chicago has a huge LATIN and ASIAN community. Built In. Just waiting to be marketed/catered to

http://www.cityrating.com/citystats.asp?city=Chicago&state=IL

Not sure how current these numbers are but that is 20% of the Chicago population that you would be going after if you target the Hispanic and Asian population. I am sure Gallas figured out that the $1 hot dog connoisseur and Elvis fan population is much bigger.

RichH55
10-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Let me see if I can move you.

Cito Gaston = World Series champions in 1992 & 1993

Isn't the idea to win the Series? What's wrong with hiring a guy who knows how to do it?

Is there some reason he isn't managing right now? I also recall reading he was Jerry like in demeanour, which isn't what I'm wanting right now

And BTW if you think Gaston is the reason for those wins....please See: Pat Gillick

RichH55
10-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
OK. Thinking that the Cubs brought back Josh Paul for name recognition is worse than any conspiracy thread.

I mentioned it with other players off the top of my head.....I do think stuff like that plays into some moves.....Granted catching is a need everywhere...but the biggest thing Josh Paul brings to the table is being from Buffalo Grove

ode to veeck
10-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Baltimore got permission from the Indians to talk to Eddie Murray today for their position