PDA

View Full Version : Caller to ESPN this morning....

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Said he was a cub fan, but thought the FOX broadcast had a DEFINITE Home Flavor as the camera panned "a little too many" cub fans in the stands, and the Twice an inning Update of some Nicely Dressed woman who was Identified as Kerry Woods Wife.
I did notice this too, wondered if any of the Atlanta Players wives were able to make the Game last nite. He hung up right away,
and the MM guys didnt really respond to the accusation. anyone else think he might have been a Brave fan?

DrCrawdad
10-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Said he was a cub fan, but thought the FOX broadcast had a DEFINITE Home Flavor as the camera panned "a little too many" cub fans in the stands, and the Twice an inning Update of some Nicely Dressed woman who was Identified as Kerry Woods Wife.
I did notice this too, wondered if any of the Atlanta Players wives were able to make the Game last nite. He hung up right away,
and the MM guys didnt really respond to the accusation. anyone else think he might have been a Brave fan?

Are there Braves fans? If there are any Braves fans and if they attended yesterday then the broadcasters didn't know about them because the story that they hammered away at all night was that there were thousands of Cubbie fans in attendance.

I hope the Braves kick it in gear. It sure would be cool if they kicked Prior's head in, figuratively of course.

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Are there Braves fans? If there are any Braves fans and if they attended yesterday then the broadcasters didn't know about them because the story that they hammered away at all night was that there were thousands of Cubbie fans in attendance.

I hope the Braves kick it in gear. It sure would be cool if they kicked Prior's head in, figuratively of course.

Indeed, the Media led by ESPN, sure Hammered that point home to anyone listening. They Panned every flub fan in the stadium, making esp sure to pan them when something pertinent happened. The actual cub attendance was probably 10K, with the other 35K being Brave Fans, but the Media tried hard to paint it Otherwise. Brave fans had nothing to cheer about, hence their "quietness". In LosAngeles earlier this year, I would estimate between 12 and 15,000 SOX fans were in dodger stadium on those evenings. It was very QUIET, because we lost 2-1. However, did the fans come to life, I thought we were in Chicago a few times. Nothing was ever mentioned of it. I did like Bobby Cox's REPLY to the Dumb Question "what did you think about all the cub fans here?" A: Its like that for us too when we go on the road, a lot of other teams fans come to these games. A hint of sarcasticness helped make that an EXCELLENT reply.

THE_HOOTER
10-01-2003, 09:23 AM
The crwod last night sounded like a Cubs/Sox game.

You couldnt tell who had more fans on TV.

I beleive this to be true--- #1. The Cubs have great fans-and a lot of them-you cannot deny it when EVERY flight to Atlanta from Chicago was booked and 10000 fans show up.

#2. The bullpen of the Cubs can be broken down, but when the road crowd is cheering FOR you, it really mkaes a difference.

KingXerxes
10-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Has anybody ever - in their life - seen a playoff game where the visting team had so many fans in attendance? I'm hard pressed to even compare this to the Mets/Yankees World Series because even there, Shea was predominantly Mets fans, and Yankee Stadium was predominantly Yankee fans.

Say what you will abou the media coverage, but it really was odd that there were so many Cubs fans in Atlanta last night - they were even mocking the tomahawk chop.

Strange days are upon us.

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Has anybody ever - in their life - seen a playoff game where the visting team had so many fans in attendance? I'm hard pressed to even compare this to the Mets/Yankees World Series because even there, Shea was predominantly Mets fans, and Yankee Stadium was predominantly Yankee fans.

Say what you will abou the media coverage, but it really was odd that there were so many Cubs fans in Atlanta last night - they were even mocking the tomahawk chop.

Strange days are upon us.

The Flub fans were certainly vocal, I'll give them that.

But, I think Fox did a disservice to the Braves fans in their coverage; all I ever saw was long shots of Braves fans,while every individual blue-pajama'd idiot and their cute banners was given loving, long, close-ups. The decision must have been made in the control booth to focus on the Flub fans there, because visually it looked like a Flubs home game.

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The Flub fans were certainly vocal, I'll give them that.

But, I think Fox did a disservice to the Braves fans in their coverage; all I ever saw was long shots of Braves fans,while every individual blue-pajama'd idiot and their cute banners was given loving, long, close-ups. The decision must have been made in the control booth to focus on the Flub fans there, because visually it looked like a Flubs home game.

FOX wasnt biased at all with their coverage were they? Im still waiting for them to show an Atlanta Players Wife. not sure if they will. Miss Wood was on TV Every SINGLE INNING. I think they Decided to go with the CUB SLANT, because its "such a great storyline, this team hasnt been to the playoffs since 1908"

(yeah, that was actually said believe it or not. I pointed that out to cub fans and remiinded them they were in the playoffs in 1984, 1989, 1998 and now) Yeah, that was a great DISSERVICE to those of us who may be Brave fans, or just Casual fans.

KingXerxes
10-01-2003, 10:18 AM
"Hasn't been to the playoffs since 1908"????? Did somebody really say that?

Also did anybody catch Steve Lyons (I always hated this guy) compliment Kerry Wood for great baserunning when he took off on a bloop single - WITH TWO OUTS? Why do they put this guy behind a microphone?

Paulwny
10-01-2003, 10:27 AM
FOX wasnt biased at all with their coverage were they? Im still waiting for them to show an Atlanta Players Wife. not sure if they will. Miss Wood was on TV Every SINGLE INNING. I think they Decided to go with the CUB SLANT, because its "such a great storyline, this team hasnt been to the playoffs since 1908"

I really hate it when a players' family is continually shown during a spoting event. Let me watch the event and stop trying to turn it into a soap opera.

KingXerxes
10-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Do I ever agree with that.

Seems like the sport is never allowed to stand on its own merits. I contend it all starting with Olympic coverage in the late 1960's/early 1970's. It has spread its cancer throughout all of sports now.

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 10:33 AM

Also did anybody catch Steve Lyons (I always hated this guy) compliment Kerry Wood for great baserunning when he took off on a bloop single - WITH TWO OUTS? Why do they put this guy behind a microphone?

He came back the next inning and said, "Of course, with 2 outs, Kerry Wood *should* have been running, but still, heads-up play," or something like that.

Drillrod!

Jerko
10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
I'd like to know where these Cub fans work for a living since they don't ever seem to be there.

daveeym
10-01-2003, 11:08 AM
:threadsucks

thepaulbowski
10-01-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by daveeym
:threadsucks

I agree....I really don't care how they portray the crowd in Atlanta. Obviosuly Brave fans as too lazy to go to the game, so kudos to the Cub fans that are there. The only team I care about is the White Sox. Not the Cubs, Braves, Astros, or whichever team. I worry about the White Sox.

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I agree....I really don't care how they portray the crowd in Atlanta. Obviosuly Brave fans as too lazy to go to the game, so kudos to the Cub fans that are there. The only team I care about is the White Sox. Not the Cubs, Braves, Astros, or whichever team. I worry about the White Sox.

If you fail to see any linkage between the Cubs' success in the postseason and the future of the White Sox franchise and fan base, then you're either naive or deluded, IMO.

fuzzy_patters
10-01-2003, 11:30 AM
If you fail to see any linkage between the Cubs' success in the postseason and the future of the White Sox franchise and fan base, then you're either naive or deluded, IMO.

Actually, the Cubs winning could be good for the Sox. If the Cubs win the World Series, the Sox will become the team with the longest drought in MLB. The Sox could really cash in on this if they play their cards right next season. The key, as always, is to win. Once in the playoffs, the Sox would then become the big story that the national media would pay attention to. This could actually be a big opportunity for the Sox.

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Actually, the Cubs winning could be good for the Sox. If the Cubs win the World Series, the Sox will become the team with the longest drought in MLB. The Sox could really cash in on this if they play their cards right next season. The key, as always, is to win. Once in the playoffs, the Sox would then become the big story that the national media would pay attention to. This could actually be a big opportunity for the Sox.

Sorry, where was the teal?

fuzzy_patters
10-01-2003, 11:42 AM
Sorry, where was the teal?

I was not being sarcastic. There is no way the Chicago media will ever give the Sox their due. However, if the Sox are put into a position where they are an intriguing story, and they win, ESPN, FOX, and other national entities will have to cover the White Sox. After all, America loves and underdog. The important thing is for the Sox to at least come close to winning a World Series. That would bring a national fanbase from the fair weather fans, which would increase interest and secure the future of the franchise.

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 11:52 AM
I was not being sarcastic. There is no way the Chicago media will ever give the Sox their due. However, if the Sox are put into a position where they are an intriguing story, and they win, ESPN, FOX, and other national entities will have to cover the White Sox. After all, America loves and underdog. The important thing is for the Sox to at least come close to winning a World Series. That would bring a national fanbase from the fair weather fans, which would increase interest and secure the future of the franchise.

The best way the Sox can secure the future of the franchise is to be the first Chicago team in almost 90 years to win the World Series.

Mark my words, if the Cubs win it before the Sox do, you might as well back up the truck and start packing at 35th and Shields, because we will be perennial afterthoughts for 90% of the residents of Chicago.

To put it another way, I don't see the whole world suddenly being behind the Angels. No one cares about them this year.

Iwritecode
10-01-2003, 11:52 AM

I doubt this would ever happen. Sox fans don't embrace losing the same way the Cubs always have. They don't whine about curses and missed opportunities the way the Red Sox do.

I bet if you go out and ask an average fan the two teams that have been waiting the longest for a WS they would say the Cubs and Red Sox. Everyone (especially the media) seems to forget that the White Sox have been waiting one year longer than the Red Sox for a WS ring.

What makes you think that they'll remember if the Cubs manage it first?

fuzzy_patters
10-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I doubt this would ever happen. Sox fans don't embrace losing the same way the Cubs always have. They don't whine about curses and missed opportunities the way the Red Sox do.

I bet if you go out and ask an average fan the two teams that have been waiting the longest for a WS they would say the Cubs and Red Sox. Everyone (especially the media) seems to forget that the White Sox have been waiting one year longer than the Red Sox for a WS ring.

What makes you think that they'll remember if the Cubs manage it first?

It is their job to remember it. The media tries to make a story out of the postseason. That is their job. Imagine the Sox playing the Yankees in the postseason next year. How could they not play up the obvious angle of the team with the longest World Series drought against the winner everyone loves to hate? All we have to do is win and everything will be alright, and Cubs World Series this year does not preclude the possibility of the Sox doing it next year. In fact, it may actually give the Sox the confidence that they can do it.

thepaulbowski
10-01-2003, 12:21 PM

Just put a winning product on the field.

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 12:27 PM
........ That is their job. Imagine the Sox playing the Yankees in the postseason next year. How could they not play up the obvious angle of the team with the longest World Series drought against the winner everyone loves to hate?

because the Media will instead bring up How "terrible it is for baseball that Dusty and Sammy couldnt be facing the Yanks in the 04 postseason"

Hullett_Fan
10-01-2003, 12:35 PM
The best way the Sox can secure the future of the franchise is to be the first Chicago team in almost 90 years to win the World Series.

Mark my words, if the Cubs win it before the Sox do, you might as well back up the truck and start packing at 35th and Shields, because we will be perennial afterthoughts for 90% of the residents of Chicago.

Well said!

JRIG
10-01-2003, 01:14 PM

Bingo! If the Cubs win the World Series before the Sox this team is dead. On the other hand, what happens if the Sox win first? Will the Cubs finally be painted as the happy losers they really are?

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
On the other hand, what happens if the Sox win first? Will the Cubs finally be painted as the happy losers they really are?

Who cares?

:)

JRIG
10-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Who cares?

:)

Point well-taken.

duke of dorwood
10-01-2003, 01:39 PM
I had QVC on rather than watch that propoganda fest

daveeym
10-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Man what jaded salty people.

A. The white sox fan base will not change regardless of what the cubs do or don't do.

B. Did anyone pay any attention to who held the city season attendance record up till this year? The Sox. Man funny but I think most of the problems with fan attendance relates back to a Reinsdorf led lockout that crapped on a Sox playoff bound season. Not the damn media or the cubs.

C. The Sox fan base grew enormously due to the new uniforms, hip hop and WINNING BASEBALL in the 90's. See B. above and Manuel/underachieving teams for all Sox attendance issues.

D. If the sox didn't crumble this year you'd be hearing about them with the most years since being to the series, winning the series or whatever ridiculous pity party you want to attend. It was in the news for the first half of September.

E. If the Sox were in the playoffs this year there would have been parties hosted by radio stations for them. GUARANTEED

F. and a to hell with any other pity party thread subjects i missed from the past 3 weeks.

Soxfan7070
10-01-2003, 04:36 PM

I noticed that too! He said something else that was really stupid but I forget what it was. If I remember, I'll post it...

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
Man what jaded salty people.

A. The white sox fan base will not change regardless of what the cubs do or don't do.

F. and a to hell with any other pity party thread subjects i missed from the past 3 weeks.

Hey Davey, you must be on the Sox board of directors
heh heh. And Im Saltier right now than the DanRyan Expy
in January :smile:

steff
10-02-2003, 07:46 AM
FOX wasnt biased at all with their coverage were they? Im still waiting for them to show an Atlanta Players Wife. not sure if they will. Miss Wood was on TV Every SINGLE INNING.

Personally.. I was rooting for her to have the damn seizure she appeared to be on the brink of when Wood hit the double. I watched all of 45 seconds of the game - while closet Cubby was in awe. He will be on the couch until the playoffs are over :D: .