PDA

View Full Version : John Madden ignores Sox, too...


Bisco Stu
09-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Anyone catch that last night on MNF when they were talking about when each Chicago team won their last championship, and of course they showed the Sox in 1917 and Cubs 1908, and Madden says, "Yeah, everyone talks about the Red Sox and how long they've been waiting, but how about the Cubs, they've been waiting longer, since 1908."

No mention of the Sox.

Hmm. Never knew 1918 came before 1917.

Mammoo
10-01-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
No mention of the Sox.

Let's face it, the Sox are forgettable!!! :?:

39thandWallace
10-01-2003, 02:07 AM
We are a second class team that is nationally known as throwing the 1919 world series. We need to win at least 2 world series to change are image. The Angels won the thing last year and they have already fell off the map.

DonkeyKongerko
10-01-2003, 02:35 AM
Billy Beane was on TV today calling them the California Angels. I think that tells you no one really cares about them already.

mike squires
10-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
We are a second class team that is nationally known as throwing the 1919 world series. We need to win at least 2 world series to change are image. The Angels won the thing last year and they have already fell off the map.

Let's focus on one first. :smile:

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 07:43 AM
We were a 1st Class organization, that let another team "Become" Get Anointed as the new 1st Class team, and did Nothing for the last 20 yrs to Dispute that

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 07:59 AM
This Morning on the Mike & Mike show (I have 2 alarm clocks, so that I can wake up in the AM, only on am1000 because sox gms are on there) but As I woke up this morning, the nationally syndicated show, was interviewing "B" actor, and John Belushi Coattail Rider, Jim. They spent a good part of the 6oclock hour, talking Cub baseball, how great it could be for the city, playing up the huge number of "fans" at the game last nite, M&M then kissed his butt and complimented him on his ability to always have the Bears and Cubs intertwined in his storylines on the show, and how the shows a good representation of Chicago. Espn guys then tried to paint the Hollywood scene by pulling a KILEY and commenting on almost everyone in Hollywood is a Cub fan, and they all get together and talk cub baseball. Giving Credit to JBelushi....he hesitated......then said It probably wasnt the case. The never talked about the "Other" MLB games that were played Yesterday.

woodenleg
10-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
We are a second class team that is nationally known as throwing the 1919 world series. We need to win at least 2 world series to change are image. The Angels won the thing last year and they have already fell off the map.

And just think - there is evidence that the 1918 series was thrown, but you never hear a damned thing about it.

A pox on both of their undeserving houses

We are made to answer for everyone else's sins.

fquaye149
10-01-2003, 09:35 AM
john madden forgets to wipe...why would he remember the sox?

kittle42
10-01-2003, 09:41 AM
I was really, really unaware that diehard Sox fans could sound so whiny. I could see if the Sox and Cubs were both in the playoffs and the Cubs got significantly more attention. I could see if the Sox made it, the Cubs didn't, and there were still back page stories about the Cubs. But come on - why would anyone except the few of us there are actually care about the White Sox right now?

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
I was really, really unaware that diehard Sox fans could sound so whiny. I could see if the Sox and Cubs were both in the playoffs and the Cubs got significantly more attention. I could see if the Sox made it, the Cubs didn't, and there were still back page stories about the Cubs.

Because we have PROOF that the other team gets more "attention" despite our winning records, etc etc ad nauseum
Otherwise, I wouldnt give a Hoot. if it were the other way around, believe me, they'd complain big time too. In the offseason, they got 3X more "coverage" than we did. I complained, and most said it was Probably because they got a new MGR. OK, this offseason, WE will have a new MGR, do you think the tables will turn, and WE'LL get 3X coverage? ummm No. They'll get 5X the coverage this offseason, and the "Reasoning" (maybe rightly so) will be because they went to the WS.

Dan H
10-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Because we have PROOF that the other team gets more "attention" despite our winning records, etc etc ad nauseum
Otherwise, I wouldnt give a Hoot. if it were the other way around, believe me, they'd complain big time too. In the offseason, they got 3X more "coverage" than we did. I complained, and most said it was Probably because they got a new MGR. OK, this offseason, WE will have a new MGR, do you think the tables will turn, and WE'LL get 3X coverage? ummm No. They'll get 5X the coverage this offseason, and the "Reasoning" (maybe rightly so) will be because they went to the WS.

First of all, Hanger, you know the Cubs will get more play just because of the media conflict of interests. Secondly, the Sox have done little since the strike other than give up on a season. Finally, the Sox care more about controlling the media than using it to their advantage.

39thandWallace
10-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
I was really, really unaware that diehard Sox fans could sound so whiny. I could see if the Sox and Cubs were both in the playoffs and the Cubs got significantly more attention. I could see if the Sox made it, the Cubs didn't, and there were still back page stories about the Cubs. But come on - why would anyone except the few of us there are actually care about the White Sox right now?

I wouldn't call us whinny, just realistic of our situation. Major winning would have to happen on the south side for anyone north of Madison let along the rest of the country to put us on the map.

ode to veeck
10-02-2003, 12:26 AM
We were a 1st Class organization, that let another team "Become" Get Anointed as the new 1st Class team, and did Nothing for the last 20 yrs to Dispute that

exactly , winning two world series or not has absolutely nothing to do with it, we have an ownership and front office that enabled this, & allowed this to happen through stubborn ineptitude in PR for the last two decades, and built on the bad moves to WFLD etc from the early 70s

the flubs were the 2nd class citizens when many of us were growing up

wgn and the cubune are only part of the story and all told only a partial fraction of the media empires of chicago---the real problem lies with the lack of PR effectiveness of the Sox organization, not elsewhere

Hangar18
10-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
exactly , winning two world series or not has absolutely nothing to do with it, we have an ownership and front office that enabled this, & allowed this to happen through stubborn ineptitude in PR for the last two decades, and built on the bad moves to WFLD etc from the early 70s

the flubs were the 2nd class citizens when many of us were growing up

wgn and the cubune are only part of the story and all told only a partial fraction of the media empires of chicago---the real problem lies with the lack of PR effectiveness of the Sox organization, not elsewhere

Wow, I wasnt even quoted :o: