PDA

View Full Version : Seems we're not the only ones

chosk8
09-30-2003, 04:55 PM
tired of hearing about the cubs.

Cubs or Red Sox World Series victory would mean fewer self-pitying fans (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/phil_taylor/09/29/hot_button/index.html)

A World Series win by one of them would mean we'd have one fewer group of self-pitying fans to listen to. No more fatalistic Chicago fans wondering out loud about what cruel way the Cubs will find to dash their hopes this time. No more psychically wounded Red Sox lovers blathering on about the Curse of the Bambino, Bucky F---in' Dent and the ball Buckner butchered.

I'm all for the Red Sox winning it all, but I can deal with the crying the cubs fans dish out. That's part of being a Sox fan, right? Watching the cubs loose. Not as good as a Sox victory, but darned close.

doublem23
09-30-2003, 04:55 PM
I'm all for the Red Sox getting stomped. They're fans are nothing but Cub Fans East.

**** them.

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2003, 05:00 PM
I'd like to buy this man a box of chocolates for his sage words:

It all gets a little tiresome for the rest of us. Maybe that's because there's always a subtext to the agonizing of Cubs and Sox fans that suggests they're somehow special, that because they've gone so long without experiencing a championship win, they have a deeper, more passionate connection to their teams. This isn't true, of course. It's just as tough to be a fan of, say, the Atlanta Hawks, who have never won a championship, but Hawks fans haven't turned their wait into theater. Famed writers such as John Updike wax philosophical on the nature of the Red Sox fan's struggle, but no one pens brilliant essays about rooting for the Seattle Mariners.

The Red Sox and Cubs have a legion of fans, some of them famous, who have chronicled their experience in great literary detail. What would political columnist George Will, who once wrote that "Cubs fans are 90 percent scar tissue" use for material if his beloved Cubs actually win it all? Will historian Doris Kearns Goodwin ever be called on again by documentarians to expound on the thick skin of the Sox fan if there's no longer anything to be thick-skinned about?

This isn't to say that the citizens of the Cubs and Red Sox nations are bad people. Some of my best friends, as they say, are passionate fans of one team or the other. But I've always suspected that Boston and Chicago rooters enjoy their long losing streaks on some level. The moment one of their teams wins the Series, they become just another group of fans going through the same mundane ups and downs the rest of us do . No more myth, no more drama.

pudge
09-30-2003, 05:05 PM
My question is - are Sox fans similar in their woe-is-me approach? I would say not as much as Cubs or Red Sox fans, but to an extent, do Sox fans enjoy being the second dog in the city?

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by pudge
My question is - are Sox fans similar in their woe-is-me approach? I would say not as much as Cubs or Red Sox fans, but to an extent, do Sox fans enjoy being the second dog in the city?

HELL. NO.

I personally just want our team to win.

vegyrex
09-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'm all for the Red Sox getting stomped. They're fans are nothing but Cub Fans East.

**** them.

When I lived in Boston I got that impression to. I knew a guy there who didn't like all the self pitying Red Sox fans loved to lavish on themselves. So he became a Mets fan and wore his Mets cap everywhere. :D:

Deadguy
09-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
tired of hearing about the cubs.

Cubs or Red Sox World Series victory would mean fewer self-pitying fans (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/phil_taylor/09/29/hot_button/index.html)

I'm all for the Red Sox winning it all, but I can deal with the crying the cubs fans dish out. That's part of being a Sox fan, right? Watching the cubs loose. Not as good as a Sox victory, but darned close.

I also grow tired of Red Sox fans' whining about the curse of the Bambino.

The bottom line is that even with perfect parity, it would take 30 years for every team to win a World Series. And when you have a team like the Yankees, that essentially won the Series 25% of the time over the last 100 years, it's not too surprising that a few teams can go very long periods of time without winning a Series.

These expanded playoffs also don't really help the cause of the White Sox, Cubs, or Red Sox, since a team has to win 3 playoff series in a row to become champions.

woodenleg
09-30-2003, 06:01 PM
The bad thing about this article is that it makes no mention of the White Sox for comparison.

Also, as far as "The curse of the Bambino" is concerned - I did find the Red Sox fans to be too self-involved.

However some of the footage of people marching around with "Yankees suck" signs and some of the Red Sox fans' sentiments were all too familiar.

I have the thing on tape, and when I'm too depressed I watch it. I don't know - it makes me feel better to know that there's other fans out there consumed with hatred.

Of course, Cubs are returning the fire lately, so pretty soon we'll have a civil war. Unless they make it to the world series and bury us.

LuvSox
09-30-2003, 06:12 PM

**** them.

I've been saying that for years.

FarmerAndy
09-30-2003, 06:19 PM

**** them.

I disagree. Red Sox fans are way more knowlegable than Cub fans. Everybody that goes to Fenway goes to watch the game..

They do have that annoying self pity thing going on, but I believe their pain is sincere. Red Sox fans truly live and die with their team. Cub fans really don't care at the end of the day, as long as they had a good time at the party.

kittle42
09-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I disagree. Red Sox fans are way more knowlegable than Cub fans. Everybody that goes to Fenway goes to watch the game..

They do have that annoying self pity thing going on, but I believe their pain is sincere. Red Sox fans truly live and die with their team. Cub fans really don't care at the end of the day, as long as they had a good time at the party.

Extraordinarily well-put.

I hate the fact that all Cub fans are dubbed "long-suffering." Really, it's only the 20% of them (and even that may be a generous figure) that are like us that give a crap.

MRKARNO
09-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

You hit it on the mark. Most Red Sox fans could tell you their starting catcher (Varitek), but most Cubs fans couldnt name Damian Miller. Plus I think Red sox fans recognize their park's history, but dont call it one of the best parks in baseball like ignorant cub fans do. Just a few years ago they were clammoring for a new park in Boston and they still are a bit

greenpeach
09-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Bosox fans are much more knowledgeable then Cubs fans. Don't insult the New Englanders that way.

People who go to Fenway, actually go for the baseball game. Wrigley is just one big frat party for yuppies who want to prolong their college days.

JohnJeter
09-30-2003, 07:24 PM
And don't forget the feeling the Red Sox fans have toward the Yankees and their fans. Fairly similar to the White Sox fans' view of the Cubs and their fans, altho there are obvious differences. Fenway can be an extremely hostile place for Yank fans (and vice versa) just as Sox Park can be for Cubbie fans. Probably moreso.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Red Sox fans might be more knowledgable about baseball than are Flubbie fans, but they are every bit as insufferable as their Lovable Loser counterparts. They LOVE talking about how much heartache they've been through. In fact, they might be even WORSE than Flubs fans in that department.

:boston
"Look at me! Look at me! I'm suffering over here!"

greenpeach
09-30-2003, 08:36 PM
I've known many fans of both teams & both have their faults. However, I do have somewhat more respect for the Bosox fans because of their knowledge & appreciation of the game.

As far as "The Curse of The Bambino" crap, it's more a media concoction than anything else. The real Bosox fans don't buy into that stuff. The real curse is that year-in & year-out the Yankees have the better & deeper pitching staff.

I ran into some Flubs fans down here on the MARTA line (train)yesterday. I can't believe that these guys were trash talking about how the Flubs were going to "take care of business.". I stared one guy straight in the eye, yawned, & went back to reading my newspaper. Idiots.