PDA

View Full Version : Demise not Manuel's fault

Rocky Soprano
09-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Did anyone read Slezak's article this morning.

I wonder how many games she watched since she is trying so hard to sound like a Sox expert.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol30.html

soxtalker
09-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

I wonder how many games she watched since she is trying so hard to sound like a Sox expert.

I certainly didn't have the same impression as Slezak when listening to bits of KW's talk. Sure, he put some on the players and on himself for the choice of players, but JM definitely shared the blame. KW just wasn't going to go into details, as he should not have in a public forum.

My thought on reading this was how much it sounded like many of the columnists and writers during the season who follow the team. Very few would say negative things about Manuel. On this board, there would be plenty of screaming at the mistakes JM would make during the season, but that didn't seem to be what the reporters thought. Manuel was a good guy, and those who interacted with him daily liked him and wanted him to succeed.

idseer
09-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

this is hardly worth rehashing. she doesn't know what she's talking about

Dan1972
09-30-2003, 01:30 PM
Nice try sweetie...maybe next time you should stick to what you know.

Kilroy
09-30-2003, 01:58 PM
"I have read between the lines and come to this conclusion: It wasn't Manuel's fault. But I've known that all along. The thoughts Williams shared Monday confirmed for me that he realizes it, too. No one, not even the great Dusty Baker, could have won with the collection of players Manuel had."

*****, please! If Dusty Baker had come in and managed the same 25 Cubs players that stunk like a dog's ass last year to a division title, I may be inclined to agree with the assertion that he is so great. But I'd bet that if someone took the time to figure it out, the great Dusty probably made very few moves that made the Cubs the tallest midget in what's arguably the worst division in baseball.

duke of dorwood
09-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Right on Kilroy-in my opinion Baker gets NO credit-the mgt loaded up his bench with vets that they hadnt done in previous years-and they stunk against good teams.

duke of dorwood
09-30-2003, 02:11 PM
And last time I looked, the Giants had a great season without him AND Jeff Kent AND Russ Ortiz

pudge
09-30-2003, 02:20 PM
UGH, Slezak is a friggin' joke. Does she know a damn thing about baseball? Why in God's name does she even have a column?

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
*****, please! If Dusty Baker had come in and managed the same 25 Cubs players that stunk like a dog's ass last year to a division title, I may be inclined to agree with the assertion that he is so great. But I'd bet that if someone took the time to figure it out, the great Dusty probably made very few moves that made the Cubs the tallest midget in what's arguably the worst division in baseball.

MY GOSH..........I had this Same EXACT Conversation last nite with a bunch of DumbAss, Media Believing cub fans. Know what they all said? verbatim "dustys done an incredible job getting these guys to 'believe' they can win. I told them this team Isnt the same team from 2002. They didnt seem to realize that Moses Bakers Payroll has SkyRocketed to 90million, and there are 20 new players on this team since then. I told them Why Do you Think DUSTY wanted NEW PLAYERS SO BADLY? SO he wouldnt have to work for once, and Actually Have to MANAGE a ballclub.
Him being responsible for their success is just another Load of Media Driven BS. They looked blank for a moment...... then Said that Dusty was still good, no matter

scrubly
09-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Uhm, last time I checked, it was Charlie's job to manage the players he was given. To that extent, he didn't do a good job. The rest of this "grinders" stuff is ridiculous. He didn't have grinders, so why even discuss it? He was fired because he did not motivate or manage the 2003 Sox well enough. This article is ridiculous.

Tragg
09-30-2003, 05:15 PM
I don't necessarily think things were his fault either. Meaning, he didn't cause the problems. It's just that he didn't do anything to correct the problems or to help the team signficantly.