PDA

View Full Version : My stupid paper


MarqSox
09-30-2003, 11:29 AM
So the paper I work for in rural Wisconsin is running a story about local Cubs fans and how happy they are that the losers are finally winning. I'm infuriated and annoyed beyond belief at this, and even one of the other big Cubs fans on staff thinks it's dumb. But the story was thought up by one of the top editors, so what myself and the other guy think is pretty moot.

You just know that if it were the Sox in the playoffs and not the Cubs, she wouldn't even have thought to do an article. When it runs I'll post it here, and then you can flood her inbox with e-mails. :angry: :angry:

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Marq, Please do. I'll definitely send an email telling them the more Cubpoganda they run, the more "fans" they create. The silliness is a never ending circle

Nick@Nite
09-30-2003, 09:11 PM
My hometown newspaper published "Other than the Chicago Cubs, which team would you most like to see win this year’s World Series?"

I e-mailed the following response;

Dear QC-Times Sports Editor,

Some loser hacked into your website and posted an opinion poll asking the following moronic question; "Other than the Chicago Cubs, which team would you most like to see win this year’s World Series?". http://qctimes.com/sports

This two-active-brain-cell-cub-rooter implies that all QC-natives are fans of the Chicago baseball team that plays in that ancient, urinal-smelling dump called Wrigley Field.

I cannot standby and watch the reputation of this fine newspaper get smeared by recessive-trait, baseball-pantie-wastes who represent the lowest common denominator of human intelligence on planet Earth. Any sports fan who affectionately call's their favorite team "lovable losers" should immediately hurl themselves into the great void, thereby removing their DNA from the gene pool enabling further advancement of the human race.

As a proud QC member and fellow sports fan, I am honored to point out this trampling of our civic honor, in the hope that the scumbag-cub fan will be caught and brought to a swift and severe justice.

Sincerely,
A True Baseball Fan who was born and raised in Davenport

P.S. All fans of our National Pastime answer the following question in the manner spelled out below;

QUESTION: Are the Cubs lousy?
ANSWER: Is the Pope Catholic?

Here's the response I got from the above e-mail I sent;

Chill out, man. What do you suppose would have happened if we had included the Cubs in that poll? The Cub fans and the bandwagon jumpers would have come out of the woodwork and stuffed the ballot box and we wouldn't have accomplished anything. The Cubs would have gotten 95 percent of the vote. The whole idea of the poll is to gain some insight into what fans and readers are thinking. We know a lot of people locally are into the Cubs. We've done surveys through the years that have told us that. I was just curious to know who else people liked.

You sound like one of the handful of White Sox fans I know who are frustrated and upset by what happened to their team this season and are somehow blaming the Cubs for their plight.

In any case, thanks for the feedback. Feel free to write any time.

I think the scum-bag cub reference got me busted... I guess I harshed his mellow!

MarqSox
09-30-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
My hometown newspaper published "Other than the Chicago Cubs, which team would you most like to see win this year’s World Series?"

I e-mailed the following response;

Here's the response I got from the above e-mail I sent;

Chill out, man. What do you suppose would have happened if we had included the Cubs in that poll? The Cub fans and the bandwagon jumpers would have come out of the woodwork and stuffed the ballot box and we wouldn't have accomplished anything. The Cubs would have gotten 95 percent of the vote. The whole idea of the poll is to gain some insight into what fans and readers are thinking. We know a lot of people locally are into the Cubs. We've done surveys through the years that have told us that. I was just curious to know who else people liked.

You sound like one of the handful of White Sox fans I know who are frustrated and upset by what happened to their team this season and are somehow blaming the Cubs for their plight.

In any case, thanks for the feedback. Feel free to write any time.

I think the scum-bag cub reference got me busted... I guess I harshed his mellow!
At least he was cool with his response. His argument, however obnoxious, at least is logical and thought-out.

34 Inch Stick
10-01-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
So the paper I work for in rural Wisconsin is running a story about local Cubs fans and how happy they are that the losers are finally winning. I'm infuriated and annoyed beyond belief at this, and even one of the other big Cubs fans on staff thinks it's dumb. But the story was thought up by one of the top editors, so what myself and the other guy think is pretty moot.

You just know that if it were the Sox in the playoffs and not the Cubs, she wouldn't even have thought to do an article. When it runs I'll post it here, and then you can flood her inbox with e-mails. :angry: :angry:

I can see the headline now. Local man marries deer to save her from impending hunting season. Cubs fans on page 2.

KingXerxes
10-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Let's say the Cubs go all the way this year and beat Boston in the World Series, and shed their image of lovable losers. Next year, the Cubs go to the series again, but are beaten by Boston - thereby shedding Boston's image of heartbroken losers.

Would the national media then obsess over the White Sox for not having won a World Series in almost 90 years? Would you want them to?

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

Would the national media then obsess over the White Sox for not having won a World Series in almost 90 years? Would you want them to?

Sure. At least, it would STOP them from calling us bad fans,
calling us names like "truckers", "tattoed Freaks" and "trailer trash" something I took great Offense to. I sent an email to a local writer here, taking offense to the name calling, and he laughed and said "it was a joke, take it easy". I said that was fine, but by doing that....was only FUELING THE MYTH that were Not Good Fans. I told him the more he wrote how Great that "other" teams fans are, for Bllindly supporting the team, and ripping on Sox Fans, was Purely speculation. He never responded. Another thing, it would give the SOX an Even Bigger Fan Base (widely unknown, there are sox fans everywhere, without the benefit of Superstations or the Media) all over the USA. Sure, these would be casual, fake fans, but the Media responds to this kind of thing. yeah, bring it on.
We Need It

KingXerxes
10-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Okay - So if the media starting portraying White Sox fans as those who don't care if there teams win or not - they just love their White Sox (which is pretty much how Cub/Red Sox fans are portrayed - fair or not), that would sit well with you? If so, that's kind of surprising, because Cub/Red Sox fans are almost universally declared to be idiots due the that exact same tendancy (whether it be true or not).

1951Campbell
10-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Okay - So if the media starting portraying White Sox fans as those who don't care if there teams win or not - they just love their White Sox (which is pretty much how Cub/Red Sox fans are portrayed - fair or not), that would sit well with you? If so, that's kind of surprising, because Cub/Red Sox fans are almost universally declared to be idiots due the that exact same tendancy (whether it be true or not).

Cubs fans don't care about winning.

Red Sox secretly want the Red Sox to lose so they can be star-crossed and melodramatic and eat up all that John Updike/Doris Kearns Goodwin/Dan Shaunessy BS.

White Sox fans want a winner.

That's just the way it is.

MarqSox
10-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Chicago team has loyal fans (and it's not the Bears) (http://www.wdtimes.com/articles/2003/10/01/news/news2.txt)

I'm not gonna say anything more because I value my job ... I'll let you guys go off on this one. Send mail to news@wdtimes.com

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Chicago team has loyal fans (and it's not the Bears) (http://www.wdtimes.com/articles/2003/10/01/news/news2.txt)

I'm not gonna say anything more because I value my job ... I'll let you guys go off on this one. Send mail to news@wdtimes.com

Maybe you could tell the author that "immerse" is not spelled "emerse," for starters.

:rolleyes

MarqSox
10-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Maybe you could tell the author that "immerse" is not spelled "emerse," for starters.

:rolleyes
Don't even get me started ...