PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Leaving Fox

Lip Man 1
09-29-2003, 10:36 PM
I've just been told by a media friend that the Sox, Bulls, Cubs and hawks are leaving Fox Sports Chicago starting October 1, 2004.

He said they are probably going to form their own cable network much like the Yankees YES Network.

I'm assuming they are still going to have ties to WGN-TV to fulfill their over the air options.

Fox Sports Chicago is going to have a real challenge filling all the air time!

Lip

oheeoh...magglio
09-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I've just been told by a media friend that the Sox, Bulls, Cubs and hawks are leaving Fox Sports Chicago starting October 1, 2004.

He said they are probably going to form their own cable network much like the Yankees YES Network.

I'm assuming they are still going to have ties to WGN-TV to fulfill their over the air options.

Lip

If this happens, I doubt there will be a Fox Sports Chicago anymore.

MRKARNO
09-29-2003, 10:40 PM
The idea of a Chicago Sports network to me is great and should have been done a while ago

oheeoh...magglio
09-29-2003, 10:42 PM
Yeah, all local focus, with the Chicago teams having their own channels would be nice. Maybe they will put on some games when a local team is ranked number 17 in the nation in college football, too. :angry:

rmusacch
09-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Yeah, all local focus, with the Chicago teams having their own channels would be nice. Maybe they will put on some games when a local team is ranked number 17 in the nation in college football, too. :angry:

Most college football game telecasts are scheduled well before the season.

gosox41
09-29-2003, 10:47 PM

Lip

I'm glad this has finally been announced. My friend told me there was a good chance of it happening, but she didn't know when. I was hoping it would be for next year so the Sox can up their payroll from the extra revenue, but I guess it'll be another year.

Bob

oheeoh...magglio
09-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Most college football game telecasts are scheduled well before the season.

Hmm...good point. I think quite illogically sometimes, but hey it's just odd to me a top 25 team can't get on local T.V., that's all.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-29-2003, 10:53 PM
that's cool, now I guess FSN can be the best damn sports show period network. I wonder if the Sox will have like classic games and such on the all chicago channel, that'd be pretty cool since ESPN only has them on once in a century

bc2k
09-29-2003, 11:25 PM
I haven't seen next year's baseball schedule yet, but I think it's safe to assume that the Sox and Cubs will play games on the same day, oh about 140 times. How will both games be broadcasted on one network?

Lip Man 1
09-29-2003, 11:34 PM
This new channel will not effect the Sox in 2004. The four clubs are leaving Fox October 1, 2004.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
09-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I haven't seen next year's baseball schedule yet, but I think it's safe to assume that the Sox and Cubs will play games on the same day, oh about 140 times. How will both games be broadcasted on one network?

No problem when the Scrubs are at home, a/c it's probably a day game for them and a night game for the Sox. Different story when Sox are home, though, as both are most likely night games. Does WGN pick up one or the other when they both play at the same time? Does CLTV get shut out?

And just how will a Chicago sports channel work - as a pay per view? Will cable subscribers have to pay more to get this new CSN? (Chicago Sports Net)?

SMO
:gulp:

batmanZoSo
09-30-2003, 12:08 AM
Thank god. I hope this is true.

FSN doesn't come in at NIU and it has the dullest picture and sound I've ever seen (heard).

TDog
09-30-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Thank god. I hope this is true.

FSN doesn't come in at NIU and it has the dullest picture and sound I've ever seen (heard).

I heard Jerry Reinsdorf talking about this sport network in January. I was under the impression that it was to be regional thing that would take WCIU out of the mix. I also got the impression that it wouldn't be good news for Sox fans two or three time zones away. I also know that many MLB higherups want to get rid of baseball on the superstations.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Superstations have been protected through the telecommunications act enacted by Congress. They aren'tgoing anywhere and with as much money as TBS has paid to baseball in 25 years they aren't going to allow baseball to be pulled.

Their philosophy that started that station was based on Braves baseball and reruns. Cable affiliates particularly in the South would drop TBS off schedules.

I can assure you baseball will continue to be on Superstations WGN, WPIX, WTBS, KWGN and WSBK.

Lip

TDog
09-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Superstations have been protected through the telecommunications act enacted by Congress. They aren'tgoing anywhere and with as much money as TBS has paid to baseball in 25 years they aren't going to allow baseball to be pulled.

Their philosophy that started that station was based on Braves baseball and reruns. Cable affiliates particularly in the South would drop TBS off schedules.

I can assure you baseball will continue to be on Superstations WGN, WPIX, WTBS, KWGN and WSBK.

Lip

I'm sure you're right.

At the same time, there is much less baseball on WGN and WTBS than there used to be, and as many far off places as I've been, I've never lived where the other stations were available.

When WTBS was still known as WTGC, it used to show every Braves game live, and then ran the Atlanta Braves Replay in the middle of the night. The Cubs used to run all of their games on WGN and profusely apologize when they ran up against the Wednesday ESPN blackout.

The last time I checked, WTBS preferred NASCAR to baseball and WGN thought "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was more important than the Cubs.

Kilroy
09-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The idea of a Chicago Sports network to me is great and should have been done a while ago

It was done a while ago. It was called SportsChannel. It was all Chicago/local, all the time. It was un-done with the arrival of Fox Sports Chicago, which has blown from day one.

Irishsox1
09-30-2003, 07:39 AM
The difference with On-TV, Sportsvision and Sports Channel was cable and it was only the White Sox and Bulls games that were broadcast. At the time, Cable or Satellite didn't have 98% of the market. Also, if the blackhawks actually go on TV, that would go againt everything that Wirtz beleives in, so I doub't the blackhawks would ever go on television. So, as long as the Sox and the Cubs agree on a network, that would be the necessary partnership to lauch a different Chicago sports network.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Sounds like an Excellent Idea. HOWEVER, heres my question. Will this allow the White Sox to be on every cable channel in AMerica? Will this allow them to have a "following" across the land? or will this be payperview?

LuvSox
09-30-2003, 08:16 AM

12 hours of infomercials, 12 hours of The Worst Damn Sports Show Period.

anewman35
09-30-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Sounds like an Excellent Idea. HOWEVER, heres my question. Will this allow the White Sox to be on every cable channel in AMerica? Will this allow them to have a "following" across the land? or will this be payperview?

Um, as far as I know, it won't be either. I really don't think, at least in the Chicago area, there will be a whole lot of difference from the current Fox Sports setup, and I can't imagine any reason why cable systems in other markets would pick it up, unless it was as part of some digital package with a ton of other sports stations.

Besides, even if it was on "across the land", the Cubs would be too, and you honestly think the Sox would benefit and the Cubs wouldn't?

Dadawg_77
09-30-2003, 09:04 AM
This is a giant revenue maker for the teams. The cable stations will have to pay to have the right to broadcast the network on their system. So not only does the teams get money from Ad revenue they also get it from cable licenses. That cost could be past on to the consumers as premium service, such as DirecTV's sport pack(most useless thing there is). The YES network and Cablevision feud over how much the rights fee should be, which left a good portion of New Yorkers without Yankees games. I am not sure the same thing will happen here. DirecTV and Dish Network would probably pick up the rights, but if cable systems waver watch for it to become a major selling point for satellite tv.

Bobby Thigpen
09-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Besides, even if it was on "across the land", the Cubs would be too, and you honestly think the Sox would benefit and the Cubs wouldn't?

The Cubs already are on "across the land" on WGN. The only people this could help are the Sox. They only have like 30 games (?) on WGN. Nationwide exposure would help.

anewman35
09-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
The Cubs already are on "across the land" on WGN. The only people this could help are the Sox. They only have like 30 games (?) on WGN. Nationwide exposure would help.

Well, first off, I really don't think there would be any additional national exposure, since anybody willing to shell out for random out of market sports channels probably pays for the MLB Extra Innings anyway. Let's say that it is on nationwide, though - If they show 100 Sox games and 100 Cubs games, which do you think the casual fan in Idaho would rather watch?

jabrch
09-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Bottom line, I think this can only be good. Yanks make tons of money from YES. I can't see the Sox not making good money from this deal. Now...will JR take his newly found fortune and reinvest it in the club, or will he reinvest it in his own pockets. That's the question...

anewman35
09-30-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm sure it won't be a big deal at all, but I find it interesting that they're apparently leaving as of 10/1/04, but the season doesn't end til a few days later. Will the last few games all be on WGN, or do you think they'll sign an extension for a few days?

maurice
09-30-2003, 10:01 AM
If each of the clubs are equal partners in this, it should ensure equal air time for Sox coverage and provide a media outlet without any anti-Sox bias, right Hangar?

:)

Procol Harum
09-30-2003, 10:02 AM
Sounds like this has a lot of upside for the Sox. Now, if it does come to pass, let us pray that the game coverage stays up to par with Fox, and that the other non-game programming is better than Fox (on that score you could show the Video Yulelog and come out ahead of that garbage).

scrubly
09-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Do you really believe that the Sox will have the national drawing power that the Yankees do? The Yankees are like the Cowboys were in their prime, America's Team. I don't see many people in Chicago paying to get the Sox games, let alone people outside of the greater Chicago area.

The Sox can't even get people to come to their home games, let alone buy a pricey television package.

Dadawg_77
09-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by scrubly
Do you really believe that the Sox will have the national drawing power that the Yankees do? The Yankees are like the Cowboys were in their prime, America's Team. I don't see many people in Chicago paying to get the Sox games, let alone people outside of the greater Chicago area.

The Sox can't even get people to come to their home games, let alone buy a pricey television package.

The Sox will also be packaged with the Cubs, and Bulls.

scrubly
09-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Ok, but if they package them together, what happens when the Cubs have a 7:05 start, and the Sox have a 6:20 start? Any ideas?

Dadawg_77
09-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Ok, but if they package them together, what happens when the Cubs have a 7:05 start, and the Sox have a 6:20 start? Any ideas?

Two things, maybe still use U for games like that. Or have the two broadcast running, one on the alliterate channel, which happen with Fox Sports now.

scrubly
09-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Two things, maybe still use U for games like that. Or have the two broadcast running, one on the alliterate channel, which happen with Fox Sports now.

Have you ever seen the YES channel? Is that Yank-me's only broadcasts? I've never seen it before, and I'm wondering if they use an alternate channel for Mets games, if they carry both teams...

anewman35
09-30-2003, 10:24 AM

I'm sure this new channel wouldn't show ALL the games, just probably about the same number Fox Sports does now. Therefore, I'm sure they'd just show it on WGN, or they'd have some sort of backup channel, like Fox Sports does.

I really don't see this channel being much different than Fox Sports is now (except hopefully with more shows relating to the teams). The only main difference is that by owning it, the teams involved will make more money.

harwar
09-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Have you ever seen the YES channel? Is that Yank-me's only broadcasts? I've never seen it before, and I'm wondering if they use an alternate channel for Mets games, if they carry both teams...

The yankees and mets are on 2 different stations.I watch the "yes" network quite a bit and i've never even heard them mention the mets much lets show their games.The mets play on a station called something like "MSG".If the White Sox and cubs have to share time on a local station,who do you think will get more air time?Lets face it,Chicago is mostly a cubs town and we are vastly outnumbered.

scrubly
09-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by harwar
Chicago is mostly a cubs town and we are vastly outnumbered.

Exactly, and mix that with the fact that the Cubs will draw a lot higher nationally, and it's not hard to figure out who is going to be featured more often on this package.

LuvSox
09-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
I'm sure it won't be a big deal at all, but I find it interesting that they're apparently leaving as of 10/1/04, but the season doesn't end til a few days later. Will the last few games all be on WGN, or do you think they'll sign an extension for a few days?

Is the schedule out for next year? No. This season ended several days before 10/01/03.

Medford Bobby
09-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Actually it would drive the Sat companies crazy if every team had it's own channel. There is only so much room on their systems to be able to get every sports franchise's network. I pay a Fox sports package with Dish Net and they may not be able to get a contract with Soxnet, or other franchise net's too. Dish still has legal problems with the Yes Network, so a Yankmee fan will never see them on the Dish. And the MLB absolutely hates the Superstations cause it originally messed with national contracts and local exclusivities. Now on my "Superstation Package" WPIX is the only signal with a team (Mets) that they are able to show across the country. Originally KWGN and KTLA had Rockies and Dodgers, but those teams have signed up with smaller local channels(thus avoid the legal MLB rules) . Now when the Red Sox came back to WSBK, they are considered a local exclusive contract, even though the signal can be seen on nationwide sattellite. Thus this station is blacked out for 3 hours during the telecast. Why do you think MLB wanted TBS to seem like a network broadcast?? WGN gets to keep it's local feel as they have been grandfathered as well, but MLB would love to have only a handfull of games available on WGN, or you may see a situation of "Chicago only" games, just like the Bulls have with WGN......................A Sox channel would be great, but would I get it on sat????????????????????????????? :gulp:

MarkEdward
09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
This could work out well, if:

-The Blackhawks broadcast their home games on this station.

- Cubs' and Sox minor league games are broadcast.

- Since this would be an all-Chicago sports station, I'd also like to see local minor league (Kane County, Cook County, Joliet, etc.) and local college teams (UIC, NIU, Loyola).

I hope this station isn't three hours of actual sports, and 21 hours of sports talk.

anewman35
09-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Is the schedule out for next year? No. This season ended several days before 10/01/03.

The 2004 Royals schedule is out. The Sox end the season in Kansas City on 10/3/04. See thread on here about it, or check kcroyals.com

Hullett_Fan
09-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Sounds good to me...as long as they leave that blowhard Damon Andrews at FSN!

Dadawg_77
09-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by harwar
The yankees and mets are on 2 different stations.I watch the "yes" network quite a bit and i've never even heard them mention the mets much lets show their games.The mets play on a station called something like "MSG".If the White Sox and cubs have to share time on a local station,who do you think will get more air time?Lets face it,Chicago is mostly a cubs town and we are vastly outnumbered.

The Yankees own the YES network, thus the YES network covers Yankees. MSG is Madson Square Garden TV and is New York's version of Sports Channel. This new station will be owned by Sox, Bulls and Cubs from what Lip said, thus they would probably cover each other equally. Of course if one team was making a run for it, they would most likely receive more coverage.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Folks:

There are some misconceptions going on here. Please allow me to answer your questions.

1. Fox Sports Chicago did not take over SportsChannel and ruin things for the Sox. When SportsVision failed in the early 80's, it was sold to SportsChannel America a national outfit that had 11 different regional sports networks across the country. SportsChannel America then sold out to Rupert Murdoch and Fox which simply renamed the regional sports outlets, i.e. from SportsChannel Chicago to Fox Sports Chicago.

2.Fox Sports Chicago wanted to maximize their revenue so when Tribune Company announced that were dropping the number of Cub games on WGN they quickly put together an offer to take up the slack. Tribune Company said fine because they are getting a piece of the action. Better some revenue then no revenue. I agree it made things difficult for the Sox because suddenly Fox Sports Chicago was no longer just the Sox cable outlet. That's why the deal was then struck to include WCIU and Fox Sports Plus.

3. This new channel will NOT be a superstation. If you don't have Direct TV or don't live in the Chicago baseball territory as defined by MLB, all Sox and Cub games will be BLACKED out! Assuming this network is carried as part of the regional sports outlets on Dish Network you'd be able to get Chicago baseball games when the blackout time has expired. (It's usually three hours which is why sometimes I'm able to catch the last inning or so of Sox games that run past that alloted time.)

4. A certain number of Sox and Cub games will continue to be carried on WGN which IS a superstation so those games will be seen everywhere in the country with no blackout restrictions. From what I'm being told WCIU will no longer be part of this process.

5. The YES Network in New York state ONLY shows the Yankees, Nets and soon to be Deveils ALL owned by George Steinbrenner. The Knicks / Rangers are shown on Madison Square Garden Network, the Mets and Islanders are on Fox Sports New York, with a certain number of Mets games also being shown on "free TV" superstation WPIX.

As I understand it basically nothing is changing except the name of the channel and it's location on the Chicago TV dial. What could change is the fact that Dish Network may NOT pick this channel up (YES Network for example also is NOT shown on Dish Network) which would mean that those of us who have it would no longer be able to catch the tail ends of any Sox games because it simply won't be there.

Hope this helps!

Lip

MetalliSox
09-30-2003, 01:20 PM

Lip

It seems Comcast is starting up a Chicago sports channel much like they have in, I believe, Boston and some other cities.
Let's just say this could be very good for my job. =)

doublem23
09-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

I don't think WGN and WCIU will be letting their games go.

ma_deuce
09-30-2003, 03:07 PM
> ...WGN thought "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was more important than the Cubs.

It is. Heck, I'd rather watch a mushroom grow than endure a Cubs game.

joecrede
09-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I know we don't see eye-to-eye on many things, but I have to give Lip his props for being the first with this huge potenial Sox story.

I did a little research and found that before the Yankees formed the YES Network MSG charged cable companies $3.90 per subscriber per month to carry their channel. MSG carried the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders and Devils.

Using that as a baseline, what could a Chicago sports channel charge cable companies? Perhaps $2.90 per subscriber, per month? how many subscribers are there currently in the Chicagoland area and how would that be split between the four teams Cubs 45%, Sox 25%, Bulls 20%, Hawks 10%?

TornLabrum
09-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Folks:

There are some misconceptions going on here. Please allow me to answer your questions.

2.Fox Sports Chicago wanted to maximize their revenue so when Tribune Company announced that were dropping the number of Cub games on WGN they quickly put together an offer to take up the slack. Tribune Company said fine because they are getting a piece of the action. Better some revenue then no revenue. I agree it made things difficult for the Sox because suddenly Fox Sports Chicago was no longer just the Sox cable outlet. That's why the deal was then struck to include WCIU and Fox Sports Plus.

Only one minor inaccuracy here: The WCIU telecasts were a result of WGN dropping many of its telecasts of night games due to it's commitment to showing WB Network programming (not surprising since the Tribune Co. is a part owner of the network). The WCIU package, aka "Sox Net" and "Cubs Net" is produced by WGN.

shbart
10-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Comcast is pushing HD and has blanketed the Chicago market...Trib could have WGN beaming HD ...except for the egos, this is a marriage made in corporate hell...lol*