PDA

View Full Version : If MLB "Fixes" Playoffs in the name of Marketing....

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 07:35 PM
I swear, I will swear off Baseball Forever. I think somethings
up kids, stay tuned ...............

longshot7
09-29-2003, 07:41 PM
oh come on... the Angels beat the Yanks in the first round last year - doesn't sound like "fixing" to me.

bc2k
09-29-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm with you Hanger. If the Cubs lose the first two games, look for game three with Prior on the mound to be fixed in the Cubs favor in order for the networks to broadcast a second game at historic beautiful Wrigley Field. Can't you just feel the aura of Cubs legends past?

jortafan
09-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I'm with you Hanger. If the Cubs lose the first two games, look for game three with Prior on the mound to be fixed in the Cubs favor in order for the networks to broadcast a second game at historic beautiful Wrigley Field. Can't you just feel the aura of Cubs legends past?

How does the "aura" of Roy Smalley Sr., Adolfo Phillips and Larry Biittner benefit TV?

CLR01
09-29-2003, 07:51 PM
*****! You people are out of control. Time to get new hobbies.

:prozac

bc2k
09-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
How does the "aura" of Roy Smalley Sr., Adolfo Phillips and Larry Biittner benefit TV?

Because they've made a business based on losing loveably.

kittle42
09-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Anyone who thinks networks, league offices, etc. fix any of the four major sports (can hickey still be called one?) is insane.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Anyone who thinks networks, league offices, etc. fix any of the four major sports (can hickey still be called one?) is insane.

You didnt happen to watch the Sacramento/Lakers series a couple yrs ago then I'll bet. I woke up this morning to hear
the ESPN radio dorks talk about what a "magical" matchup it would be, for the BoSox and Cubs to make it. They claimed that america is pulling for both of those teams, and How "happy the networks will be to follow that storyline". Im not pulling for that matchup, so its bs. Theyre using a Kiley-ism by PLANTING information out there, and expecting people to react to it. They interview Pat Zajac, from wheel of fortune, and he says hes a big cub fan, but to his Credit, he DisCredited their "everyones pulling" for a certain Matchup baloney, and said that the RedSox fans arent "long-suffering", because theyve had many winning seasons and a couple of WS appearances. That quieted them down. Point is......anytime a Network is "pulling" for a certain matchup, they usually get it

thepaulbowski
09-30-2003, 07:40 AM

Good thing you didn't mention boxing :D:

Soxboyrob
09-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Can you say.....PARANOIA?

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Can you say.....PARANOIA?

Paranoia ...... Self Destroyer

kittle42
09-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Good thing you didn't mention boxing :D:

Yeah, but I did mention "hickey." Damn spellcheck.

voodoochile
09-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but I did mention "hickey." Damn spellcheck.

I have an ex-girlfried who thought hickeys were a sport... And Marve Albert seems to agree...

harwar
09-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Anyone who thinks that the big sports are never "fixed' are being a bit naive.I lived in nevada for a while and you get to know people and you hear things.I think big gambling has a much greater impact on the sporting world than anyone would like to admit.Anytime you have power and money involved you can have manipulation and corruption.Its the american way.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by harwar
Anyone who thinks that the big sports are never "fixed' are being a bit naive.I lived in nevada for a while and you get to know people and you hear things.I think big gambling has a much greater impact on the sporting world than anyone would like to admit.Anytime you have power and money involved you can have manipulation and corruption.Its the american way.

Yup......and they'll fill the Headlines and tell us "How Good this is for baseball that the cubs are in the world series"

CHISOXFAN13
09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
I love how people on here will base that the series is fixed if the Cubs win game three.

Last time I checked, Mark Prior is pretty decent.

MarkEdward
09-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I love how people on here will base that the series is fixed if the Cubs win game three.

No, Mark Prior's awful. It's just a conspiracy by MLB to make us think that Prior is good. All the teams that lost to the Cubs were paid to lose. It's so obvious...

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

well, The Messiah Prior was Supposed to be a Twin. If they win fair and square, thats fine with me. But if you start seeing Bad calls is what im basing all of this on .........Your going to see them....

kittle42
09-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
well, The Messiah Prior was Supposed to be a Twin.

So *that* was a conspiracy, too? It had nothing to do with the Twins not wanting to give him that kind of money and Mauer being a Minny product who could take the heat off them for not signing Prior?

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 11:47 AM
So *that* was a conspiracy, too? It had nothing to do with the Twins not wanting to give him that kind of money and Mauer being a Minny product who could take the heat off them for not signing Prior?

What if a Certain Commissioner tipped the team with the #1 pick, that it was going to be Folded shortly.....and why would they spend $10,000,000 on a guy when the team wasnt even going to be around. Money down the drain .......

kittle42
09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
What if a Certain Commissioner tipped the team with the #1 pick, that it was going to be Folded shortly.....and why would they spend $10,000,000 on a guy when the team wasnt even going to be around. Money down the drain .......

Whoa...this is even more ridiculous than the cubs playoff theory.

By the way, check out this poll from prior to the season showing the most popular teams in baseball. I am not saying it proves anything, but at least the flubs ain't first.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=369

Paulwny
09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Man Hangar, cool down, if you continue like this you'll need to lock all your doors and windows, the men in white suits will be arriving. :)

voodoochile
09-30-2003, 11:56 AM

Selig and Pohlad are money buddies. You don't need a flubbie loving conspiracy to understand why they wouldn't draft Prior. It's all about the money, not about the flubbies.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Selig and Pohlad are money buddies. You don't need a flubbie loving conspiracy to understand why they wouldn't draft Prior. It's all about the money, not about the flubbies.

I know that. I didnt say they conspired to help the cubs, but conspired to help each other. The Cubs were the proverbial Bum-digging-thru-the-dumpster-finds-Rolex beneficiaries by default.

ewokpelts
09-30-2003, 12:45 PM
polhad offered the twins up for contraction...selig asked for volunteers...as for the messiah...polhad's too cheap for prior's asking price, they cubs knew what they were dealing with when they had that number two pick...aint no conpiracy...just a cheap owner not wanting to spend cash to win , especially when he wanted to cash out of baseball
Gene

doublem23
09-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Hangar, dude... It's baseball... Not wrestling... I'll buy into your theory when Goldberg runs out onto Turner Field and spear Andruw Jones while he's standing there in center.

scrubly
09-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Hangar, dude... It's baseball... Not wrestling... I'll buy into your theory when Goldberg runs out onto Turner Field and spear Andruw Jones while he's standing there in center.

oh man, that's hilarious.

1951Campbell
09-30-2003, 07:10 PM

If the fix was in, would we have been subjected to a all NY series that no one watched? Would Selig really set up Indians/Marlins? Would the Padres had made it? All California last year? C'mon. I said the conspiracy theorists would come out, and voila!

This just in...David Stern was seen meeting with MLB umpires....

ohalloran
09-30-2003, 07:11 PM
Insanity is good for the soul!

Scotty347
10-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Looks like Hangar was mistaken, it appears that Atlanta is the team that MLB is pulling for. Did you see that missed double-play call where the Atlanta runner was called safe in the 8th? It is clear to me where the real conspiracy is in this series.

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Scotty347
Looks like Hangar was mistaken, it appears that Atlanta is the team that MLB is pulling for. Did you see that missed double-play call where the Atlanta runner was called safe in the 8th? It is clear to me where the real conspiracy is in this series.

I saw that

fuzzy_patters
10-06-2003, 10:52 PM

I am starting to believe, Hangar18. The homeplate umpire in the Oakland/Boston game tonight was atrocious. Coupled with some of the other controversial calls in that series, it makes me wonder if MLB really is trying to get a Boston/Millwaukee-South world series. The truth is out there.

voodoochile
10-06-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I am starting to believe, Hangar18. The homeplate umpire in the Oakland/Boston game tonight was atrocious. Coupled with some of the other controversial calls in that series, it makes me wonder if MLB really is trying to get a Boston/Millwaukee-South world series. The truth is out there.

Give me a break. Did the ump force Byrnes to not touch home plate when he had 10 full seconds to do so?

Not a conspiracy, just bad baseball by the A's.

Procol Harum
10-07-2003, 08:52 AM
I have an ex-girlfried who thought hickeys were a sport... And Marve Albert seems to agree...

So that's why you were always wearing your White Sox turtleneck, you little devil, you :cool:

As for conspiracies, Hangar: I wouldn't read anything into those black helicopters spotted up in Andersonville and Rogers Park....

Hangar18
10-07-2003, 08:58 AM
i know this is a bit after the fact, but the homeplate umpire
was very generous with some of Woods first pitch curveballs
that scraped the dirt on the way over the plate.

kittle42
10-07-2003, 11:19 AM
i know this is a bit after the fact, but the homeplate umpire
was very generous with some of Woods first pitch curveballs
that scraped the dirt on the way over the plate.

If that's all you got out of a 5-game series, I think you should hang up the conspiracy theory.

fuzzy_patters
10-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Give me a break. Did the ump force Byrnes to not touch home plate when he had 10 full seconds to do so?

Did you even watch game 5? Every time the Red Sox pitchers would get in a jam the ump gave them a bogus strike 1 call to get ahead in the count. The worst was the first pitch to Singleton in the ninth, but it went on all night.

voodoochile
10-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Did you even watch game 5? Every time the Red Sox pitchers would get in a jam the ump gave them a bogus strike 1 call to get ahead in the count. The worst was the first pitch to Singleton in the ninth, but it went on all night.

Too funny. The ump's were fine last night. You don't honestly believe MLB gave this series to the BoSox, do you?

Come on. The A's gave away this series on Saturday. I think they became convinced there was a conspiracy too and in the end they lost because they would rather act like they were owed something instead of playing hard until the final out and the final strike.

If Byrnes and Tejada don't make a big joke out of that potentially huge inning on Saturday this series never goes 5. They not only cost their team 2-runs in a game that was tied at one after nine, but also cost the team 2-outs in an inning where they were otherwise knocking Lowe around. If they put there heads down, stay focused and score, this series never even makes it to 4. I guess they got paid off too...

Hangar18
10-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Hey FUzzy, i'll be Watching the Marlin Series with a very close
eye. I just hope this Series wasnt already determined in some
Corporate Boardroom on Wall Street or Madison Ave

kittle42
10-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey FUzzy, i'll be Watching the Marlin Series with a very close
eye. I just hope this Series wasnt already determined in some
Corporate Boardroom on Wall Street or Madison Ave

I actually think the series will be determined by who is the better team, and that likely (ugh) will be the Flubs.

Hangar18
10-07-2003, 02:25 PM
I actually think the series will be determined by who is the better team, and that likely (ugh) will be the Flubs.

Lets hope so. But the Fact The Media is already spreading stories about how America will Cry and Weep should the Cubs not make it, is making me ANGRY. I say the same thing.....
What about the Best Team??

thepaulbowski
10-07-2003, 02:48 PM

Maybe this is one of those X-files :)