PDA

View Full Version : Will BIG HURT be a White Sox Next Year


Mots09
09-29-2003, 07:55 PM
I couldn't accept him in any other colors than Sox colors. What do you guys think?


Torre coming to chicago next year?? :)

soxwon
09-29-2003, 08:15 PM
i believe Frank is signed thru 2006, i doubt anyone would take his contract even if he hits 50 homers, i think hes ours for awhile.

gosox41
09-29-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Mots09
I couldn't accept him in any other colors than Sox colors. What do you guys think?


Torre coming to chicago next year?? :)

I hope he's back but I have a feeling he'll leave. Today's Trib. hinted that if Frank refuses to exercise his $6 mill option, the Sox probably won't exercise the $8 mill. option.

Isn't it funny how KW is talking about getting hitters with good OBP when it's realistic the team could dump a great OBP guy when htey coulod have him relatively cheap?

Bob

mike squires
09-29-2003, 10:09 PM
I really hope Frank has made up his mind that he will be a in a Sox uni at least until they make it to the series. I mean, really make it a personal thing..."I am going to try and win it all here" Then again I'd hate to see Frank end up like Mr. Banks and not win a damn thing when he cold have success elsewhere.

RichH55
09-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I really hope Frank has made up his mind that he will be a in a Sox uni at least until they make it to the series. I mean, really make it a personal thing..."I am going to try and win it all here" Then again I'd hate to see Frank end up like Mr. Banks and not win a damn thing when he cold have success elsewhere.

I really hope he's back....and at 6 million to boot

doublem23
09-29-2003, 11:09 PM
He better come back or else we're guaranteed more time with... :walnuts

RichH55
09-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
He better come back or else we're guaranteed more time with... :walnuts


Paulie better come ready to earn that money next year, and since he can't do that on a ballfield.....

:walnuts
More Coffee Mr. Larussa? I can pitch left handed if you need me to

bc2k
09-30-2003, 12:27 AM
When is the deadline for Frank to decide to stay for 6 million or leave?

EDIT: If Frank exercises his 6 mil option, does that guarantee he will play for the Sox for the duration of the contract or are there more possible FA options. OR, if Reinsdorf brings Frank back for 8 mil, does that guarantee Frank's contract for the next three years?

SoxxoS
09-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Frank and Konerko can both roll-out, and we can start Carlos Lee at 1B and put Jeremy Reed in LF. That makes our team go from pedestrian slow, to decent speed in one move. It won't happen though.

Kilroy
09-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
When is the deadline for Frank to decide to stay for 6 million or leave?

EDIT: If Frank exercises his 6 mil option, does that guarantee he will play for the Sox for the duration of the contract or are there more possible FA options. OR, if Reinsdorf brings Frank back for 8 mil, does that guarantee Frank's contract for the next three years?

I don't know when the deadline is, but if Frank excercises his option, then he makes 6 mil. If the Sox opt to keep him, he gets 8. Doubtful on the second, because KW sounds like he wants to bring lots of this team back, and needs that 2 mil to get guys like Colon and Gordon in the fold. Frank can buy out and become a free agent if he wants to, I don't know what $$ amount the buy out is at.

But then, the 2 years after that are the same, Frank option/team option, w/escalating dollars each year. Frank can earn up to 2 mil in incentives for being in the top 10 in MVP voting, which should be no problem this year. And going into the 3rd year, the Sox can buy out Frank for 3.5 mil. Also, Frank had to agree not to have a "no-trade" clause, and he had to waive his 5/10 rights.

So no guarantees Frank will be here for the next 3 years.

Given that Frank also got a 1 mil loan in the deal, it seems unlikely that he'd buy his way out of the contract this off season. But hey, I don't know why he needed to borrow cash, and I don't know what the dollar amount is for Frank to buy out.

thepaulbowski
09-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I don't know when the deadline is, but if Frank excercises his option, then he makes 6 mil.

I think it's December 1.

Dadawg_77
09-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I don't know when the deadline is, but if Frank excercises his option, then he makes 6 mil. If the Sox opt to keep him, he gets 8. Doubtful on the second, because KW sounds like he wants to bring lots of this team back, and needs that 2 mil to get guys like Colon and Gordon in the fold. Frank can buy out and become a free agent if he wants to, I don't know what $$ amount the buy out is at.

But then, the 2 years after that are the same, Frank option/team option, w/escalating dollars each year. Frank can earn up to 2 mil in incentives for being in the top 10 in MVP voting, which should be no problem this year. And going into the 3rd year, the Sox can buy out Frank for 3.5 mil. Also, Frank had to agree not to have a "no-trade" clause, and he had to waive his 5/10 rights.

So no guarantees Frank will be here for the next 3 years.

Given that Frank also got a 1 mil loan in the deal, it seems unlikely that he'd buy his way out of the contract this off season. But hey, I don't know why he needed to borrow cash, and I don't know what the dollar amount is for Frank to buy out.

He can't waive his 5/10 rights. No worker may negotiate away any rights or responsibilities agreed to in a CBA. Unless the CBA say that they may do so, which I don't think it does.

ScottyTheSoxFan
09-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Frank and Konerko can both roll-out, and we can start Carlos Lee at 1B and put Jeremy Reed in LF. That makes our team go from pedestrian slow, to decent speed in one move. It won't happen though.

Lee's D in left is greatly improved, plus Reed is too raw to just hand over the LF job to him. what happens if he is horrible when he gets up here, rowand?

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 05:49 PM
According to the SunTimes.....the sox will NOT PU his option for next year, and are simply WAITING for Thomas to decide if hes staying or going. The 5 Days after the WS, are going to determine the direction of this team.

Daver
09-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
He can't waive his 5/10 rights. No worker may negotiate away any rights or responsibilities agreed to in a CBA. Unless the CBA say that they may do so, which I don't think it does.

He can't waive the right to refuse,but he can agree to a trade,in the long run it is the same difference.

hold2dibber
09-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Frank and Konerko can both roll-out, and we can start Carlos Lee at 1B and put Jeremy Reed in LF. That makes our team go from pedestrian slow, to decent speed in one move. It won't happen though.

That would mean replacing Frank with Reed. Reed who has never played above AA and only has about 60 games above A to his credit. Realistically, what is the absolute best the Sox could hope to get out of Reed next year? Maybe 15 HRs, a .330 OBP and 65 RBIs? I don't think his extra speed would make up for the significantly better OBP, 25 HRs and 40 RBIs the Sox would lose in that "trade".

FarmerAndy
09-30-2003, 06:24 PM
I don't ever want to see Frank in another uniform.

It seems to me that Sox management has wanted to get rid of him for the last 2 years. If nothing else, Frank should exercise his player option every year just to stick it to them.

Daver
09-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Realistically, what is the absolute best the Sox could hope to get out of Reed next year? Maybe 15 HRs, a .330 OBP and 65 RBIs?

15 HR's may turn out to be a career high in one season for Reed,he is more a gap hitter,not known as a power hitter.

dickallen15
09-30-2003, 07:58 PM
For all those who think Reed will be ready next year, I think you need to slow down a little bit. This guy has only played a half a season above A Ball. He's done some great things, lets wait for him to struggle, because eventually everyone does, and see how he handles it. Hopefully he won't turn into Jeff Abbott.