PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gwynn: Kenny Williams Next To Go

Unregistered
09-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Consumate White Sox fan and baseball insider Tony Gwynn seems to think that KW could be the next to be fired by management. Apparently Tony wasn't watching the Press Conference that KW led, firing Manuel. (Although it would be SUCH a Reinsdorf move to have KW fire Manuel and re-sign Colon just to can his ass in a week. But I strongly doubt it.)

The White Sox's management might not be done making moves. Some ownership groups will blame a losing season on the manager. And some will blame it on the GM and the manager.
This group may be getting ready to get rid of GM Kenny Williams, also. Bye Jerry (Gwynn on Sidebar) (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1626251)

RKMeibalane
09-29-2003, 07:02 PM
I think Williams' job is safe through at least next season. He did enough this season to prove that he should be given more opportunties to make the ballclub better. If the Sox don't make any significant progres next season, then firing him might be approriate. But until then, I don't think anymore changes should be made in the front-office. The Sox have the talent to win. Now, we need to see if a new manager will make the difference.

MRKARNO
09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
I really doubt the management would fire KW unless they think he'd spend more money that he's supposed to

soxwon
09-29-2003, 07:15 PM
i heard if we get Tony Larussa he will also become the GM, moving KW to president of something?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2003, 07:23 PM
As previously posted...

Earlier this month Hawk Harrelson said...

:hawk
"Kenny Williams is the MVP of this organization."

As anyone who has followed this ballclub closely the last ten years will tell you:

Hawk Harrelson = official mouthpiece for Jerry Reinsdorf.

Williams' job couldn't be safer right now.

oheeoh...magglio
09-29-2003, 07:26 PM
If Kenny Williams is fired this offseason, I might have to consider finding a new team. This guy is a very good G.M. who's hungry to win, and to fire him now would be blasphemous (I hope i spelled that right.) But anyways, KEEP KW!!!!

doublem23
09-29-2003, 07:29 PM
What a White Sox move it would be to hang on to Williams after he bombed out with deals for Wells and Ritchie, but then to let him go after starting to look like a decent GM.

Go Sox!

LuvSox
09-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
If Kenny Williams is fired this offseason, I might have to consider finding a new team.

You must be a fairly new Sox fan. Dumping KW would be minimal compared to other moves Sox management has made over the years. To be a Sox fan means donning a few battle scars, physical and emotional. Hang in there, more stupid things are sure to come in your time.

RedPinStripes
09-29-2003, 07:47 PM
I've actually become a KW fan . :?:

TDog
09-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
You must be a fairly new Sox fan. Dumping KW would be minimal compared to other moves Sox management has made over the years. To be a Sox fan means donning a few battle scars, physical and emotional. Hang in there, more stupid things are sure to come in your time.

You are so right.

This is White Sox baseball. Somebody's going to get hurt.

LASOXFAN
09-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by TDog
You are so right.

And again.
And again.
And again.
:D:

thepaulbowski
09-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by TDog
You are so right.

A man can only take so much, though :(:

ode to veeck
09-30-2003, 06:14 PM
A man can only take so much, though

like the strike of '94 for example ...

RichH55
09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
A man can only take so much, though :(:

Here's the cycle:

"Man this Sox team could do some damage!"
Loss
"Sure we lost last year, but we added Player X!"
Loss
"This is our year"
Playoff Loss
"Playoffs were just a start!"
Done by midseason
"I was expecting more last year, but they should rebound this year!"
.500 Season 81-81 Designed to Tease
"I think we showed some potential"
.504 Season

Repeat Loss Cycle for say 20 years (Vary level of losing)
Mix
Result ---> See Lip's posts:)

White Sox Baseball is like Marriage....It looks good on paper, and there are reasons to do it, but man it will suck the life out of you