PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza for Cy Young

maurice
09-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Loaiza is 1st in strikeouts (three more than Halladay), 2nd in wins (only one fewer than Halladay), and 3rd in ERA (0.35 lower than Halladay).

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2003, 04:18 PM
...and he failed to produce in the 2 biggest starts he had this season.

Halliday gets it.

Unregistered
09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
...and he failed to produce in the 2 biggest starts he had this season. What do you mean? He WON yesterday!

fuzzy_patters
09-29-2003, 04:20 PM
...and he failed to produce in the 2 biggest starts he had this season.

Halliday gets it.

You're saying that Halliday should get it, even though his team wasn't in it for him to make be starts. Is this correct? At least Loaiza kept his team in the race until mid-September. Why reward Halliday for pitching on a loser?

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
You're saying that Halliday should get it, even though his team wasn't in it for him to make be starts. Is this correct? At least Loaiza kept his team in the race until mid-September. Why reward Halliday for pitching on a loser?

I just think that's the way the voters will vote. Halliday kept winning down the stretch, even though the games weren't important, while Loaiza failed when the spotlight was hottest.

I'm not saying it's fair.

maurice
09-29-2003, 04:39 PM
...and he failed to produce in the 2 biggest starts he had this season. Halliday gets it.

Halladay didn't have any big starts to lose, despite support from the second best offense in the league. Loaiza posted better numbers with a mediocre offense behind him (particularly against Detroit).

I'm not predicting that Loaiza will win; I'm advocating for him. The other candidates are less deserving, and Loaiza deserves our support.

dllrbll7
09-29-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Halladay didn't have any big starts to lose, despite support from the second best offense in the league. Loaiza posted better numbers with a mediocre offense behind him (particularly against Detroit).

I'm not predicting that Loaiza will win; I'm advocating for him. The other candidates are less deserving, and Loaiza deserves our support.

I agree!

MarkV
09-29-2003, 07:28 PM
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Loaiza was also 1st or 2nd in quality starts with Tim Hudson, and Halladay had much higher run support than Esteban. I don't think Halladay lost two 1-0 games to Detroit, did he? But the media hates the Sox, so any time a Sox player doesn't totally outdistance another guy in one of these races, he won't get the award.

bc2k
09-29-2003, 07:42 PM
When will the Cy Young be awarded?

JohnJeter
09-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Halladay pitched 266 innings this year, Loaiza 219. Something to factor in.

Thunderstruck30
09-29-2003, 08:04 PM
I think the Cy Young will go to either Loaiza, Halladay, or Pedro. Loaiza deserves it more than Halladay. He has more Ks and a lower ERA. He should have a better record if not for those 1-0 losses. Pedro on the other hand had a better ERA by something like .6 but he only had 14 wins. It should be a close race.

MRKARNO
09-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Halladay pitched 266 innings this year, Loaiza 219. Something to factor in.

I believe this is partly attributable to the Blue Jays' switch to a 4-man rotation mid-season for about a month or so. Not necessarily Loaiza's fault and what does it say the Loaiza won the strikeout title with 40 less ip

jortafan
09-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
When will the Cy Young be awarded?

The winner won't be named until after the World Series, but I think sportswriters have to submit their ballots some time this week.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters

I think this reason may make Loiaza the Cy winner. he did lose 2 games down the stretch which will hurt him/make the decision closer than it shouldve been