PDA

View Full Version : Wgn reports offer to colon

DirtySouthsider
09-29-2003, 02:12 PM
I just heard on the sports update on WGN that the Sox have offered Colon the richest contract offer for a pitcher in club history!
I praying that there is some truth to this!!!!!

mandmandm
09-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Bruce Levine: Three Years $33-35 million. Key is to get him signed before November 1, when the big boys can play.

Rocklive99
09-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
I praying that there is some truth to this!!!!!

KW said it in the press conference

Kilroy
09-29-2003, 02:21 PM
You gotta like that!

Now he just needs to say Si!

MHOUSE
09-29-2003, 03:11 PM
If he hits the market on November 1 then he's gone. KW has to get him signed NOW.

34 Inch Stick
09-29-2003, 03:59 PM
If the Levine numbers are correct Colon should be more than satisfied. How much more than 11 million a year is he really going to make?

Plus it takes a lot of the power away from Buhrle if he does not want to negotiate for a longer term deal. If he does not want to be here after 2005 then the Sox will be able to deal him without fear.

FanOf14
09-29-2003, 04:02 PM
IF the reported contract is accurate (3 years at 33-35M) and Colon doesn't take it, he is one greedy hombre who can't be taken at his word, not that I often, if ever, believe a ball player when they say they want to stay with their current team.

jeremyb1
09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
IF the reported contract is accurate (3 years at 33-35M) and Colon doesn't take it, he is one greedy hombre who can't be taken at his word, not that I often, if ever, believe a ball player when they say they want to stay with their current team.

Wow. I really hope this works out. If we keep our rotation in tact 1-4 we'll be dangerous. I don't think Colon can get more than 13 on the open market so if he's serious about being really happy here he should jump on this.

hold2dibber
09-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Wow. I really hope this works out. If we keep our rotation in tact 1-4 we'll be dangerous. I don't think Colon can get more than 13 on the open market so if he's serious about being really happy here he should jump on this.

My thought exactly. KW was quoted in the papers over the weekend saying that they had an agreement on the number of years, but it was just a matter of dollars. This offer sounds right about in line with what I would think Colon could command in terms of annual salary on the open market. If he doesn't take it, I can't blame KW or the Sox - they've made an entirely fair offer.

I really hope he takes it.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Never underestimate George Steinbrenner saying "four years, fifteen million a season..." especially if he does NOT win the series for the 3rd straight season.

That may be what Colon's agent is counting on.

Lip

Paulwny
09-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Never underestimate George Steinbrenner saying "four years, fifteen million a season..." especially if he does NOT win the series for the 3rd straight season.

That may be what Colon's agent is counting on.

Lip

I was thinking the same thing but make it $11 mil for 5 years.

MRKARNO
09-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I was thinking the same thing but make it $11 mil for 5 years.

Well isnt what's being reported the same amount per year for a lesser amount of years? (3)

Paulwny
09-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well isnt what's being reported the same amount per year for a lesser amount of years? (3)

Long term contract vs short term, JR doesn'y believe in long term contracts for pitchers ( unless he's changed his mind). King George can just keep adding years, if it's only the sox and yanks bidding for Colon.

doublem23
09-29-2003, 06:31 PM
3 years?!?!?!?!?!

****ing Reinsdorf.

CHISOXFAN13
09-29-2003, 06:43 PM
According to reports, the three years are what Colon and his agent asked for. Its the money that's the sticking point right now.

34 Inch Stick
09-30-2003, 10:50 AM
I would think the Yanks would be more than willing to outbid on money and years. Clemens is gone and I expect Boomer to follow. That is a lot of money freed up for pitching and you know Steinbrenner does not just put that money in the bank.

I am sure he is satisfied with the Sox offer. The problem is that he is reasonably assured that someone will match that offer. Unless he is sold on Chicago, I don't think it would be a gamble for him to wait.

I wonder if Kenny put a time limit for acceptance.

harwar
09-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Colon seemed to be happy here and looked to be buddied with Loaiza.But as we all know money talks..i wouldn't be surprised if king george gave BIG Frank a shot.Maybe Frank would(like so many before him)like to give new york a try.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 11:22 AM
I think that was All COLON needed from us....a firm Committment.
I think hes staying here, and im happy about that.

Foulke You
09-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Agreed. At this point, I have a good feeling Colon is coming back. It seems that he knows the Sox don't have Yankee money to spend on him but we still made him a huge offer that wasn't an insult to him which shows we want him here. I think he'll end up taking it. I expect to hear something in the coming week and then expect Robbie to follow shortly after.

soxtalker
09-30-2003, 11:27 AM

Maybe. I know that others have expressed the belief that money is the biggest issue with most of the ball players, and, thus, they are pretty certain that Colon will wind up with the Yankees. But what about the desire to win a championship. I don't think that Colon has done that, though he came very close with the Indians. That might also drive him to the Yankees, though it could also mean that he'll wait to see what other moves KW makes.

mandmandm
09-30-2003, 11:30 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=37894123

While the Sox' offer to Colon is the highest they've ever made to a pitcher, don't be surprised if he signs with another team.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cardinals and Phillies are all going to be shopping for a proven starter this winter and Colon is the best of a weak market.

The only other attractive starting pitchers headed for free agency are Andy Pettitte, Kevin Millwood and Sidney Ponson. Word is, Colon is preparing to sign with the highest bidder.

kittle42
09-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I think he'll end up taking it. I expect to hear something in the coming week and then expect Robbie to follow shortly after.

Can't we find some way to keep Everett? Maybe their next manager will find reasons other than an emergency to play Frank at first and we can trade Konerko for someone who will hit into a mere 26 DPs.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Can't we find some way to keep Everett? Maybe their next manager will find reasons other than an emergency to play Frank at first and we can trade Konerko for someone who will hit into a mere 26 DPs.

Funny you should Mention that.....but Kenny after yesterdays press conference, did say he was Happy with the Job Everett did, and said he would offer him a contract and "come up with a way to bring him back". I hope so...the guys a PRO, and was a good presence for Willie Harris, according to sources

jeremyb1
09-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Funny you should Mention that.....but Kenny after yesterdays press conference, did say he was Happy with the Job Everett did, and said he would offer him a contract and "come up with a way to bring him back". I hope so...the guys a PRO, and was a good presence for Willie Harris, according to sources

I'd rather not see him on CF again but I'd love to have him back. Trade Carlos or Paully and then let Reed or Rowand play in CF with Everett in left.

hold2dibber
09-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I'd rather not see him on CF again but I'd love to have him back. Trade Carlos or Paully and then let Reed or Rowand play in CF with Everett in left.

I was thinking the same thing. Everett is KW's kind of guy and from all accounts, was a very positive influence in the clubhouse. I'd be happy to see him in left or DH'ing, but that would require moving Konerko, Lee or Big Hurt. If Frank walks, I can see Everett possibly coming back. If not, it would take a trade of Konerko or Lee. Any opinions on what it would take, in terms of money/years, to re-sign Everett? I'm thinking 2 years at $3.5 million per?

kittle42
09-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
in terms of money/years, to re-sign Everett? I'm thinking 2 years at $3.5 million per?

3.5? He was just an all-star last year and put up excellent numbers.

He can get a good deal more than that.

Bobby Thigpen
09-30-2003, 02:15 PM
They should let go of Everett. He may be able to hit, but that is just about it. Carlos is a better fielder, faster, and in the younger years of his career. Carl is old and getting older. Sure he had great numbers on the year, but how much of those numbers did he put up in Texas? Virtually all of them if I remember correctly.

Let him go and sign a CF with speed and some D.

mandmandm
09-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'd be happy to see him in left or DH'ing, but that would require moving Konerko, Lee or Big Hurt.

don't forget that Maggs is an option. I would rather keep Lee if the Sox can sign him 3-4 years at less than Maggs is getting. Trade Maggs before the sox lose him after 2004. And trade him for a pitcher (4-5 starter,a "grinder", and a prospect or two:).

doublem23
09-30-2003, 02:26 PM
I think a lot of whether or not Colon stays or goes depends on how the Yankees do in the postseason... If they win it all, I don't think George will be too crazy about shelling out dough for a pitcher, but if there's another ALDS exit; oy... I don't know.