PDA

View Full Version : Kimm gone too

Viva Magglio
09-29-2003, 02:05 PM
All the other coaches' fates will be at the discretion of the new manager.

thepaulbowski
09-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

That's a shame, and one day after they retired his number!

Or was that somebody else?!?! :D:

LuvSox
09-29-2003, 02:52 PM
"Wave" goodbye Bruce. :D:

DrCrawdad
09-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Is that what KW said? I thought I heard KW say that the other coaches will be retained.

If these coaches will be on the new staff, this forces these guys down the throat of the new manager. Limiting the candidates who'd take the job. Get ready for manager with no previous MLB managing experience or one who sucks.

CHISOXFAN13
09-29-2003, 03:07 PM
It definitely eliminates LaRussa since Duncan would always come in a package deal.

KingXerxes
09-29-2003, 03:28 PM
What kind of manager would take a job when he can't name his own coaching staff? I'm hoping that's not what they're planning on doing.

Jjav829
09-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
What kind of manager would take a job when he can't name his own coaching staff? I'm hoping that's not what they're planning on doing.

I don't know, but theres always someone who will.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/nfl/2001/0611/photo/a_angelo_m.jpg
"I am the square peg."

KingXerxes
09-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Yeah, but anybody worth having, or someone who will accept any situation just to become manager?

Jjav829
09-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Yeah, but anybody worth having, or someone who will accept any situation just to become manager?

Yeah I think someone will. I don't think Kenny will completely tie the new managers hands like the McCaskey's did to Jerry Angelo with Dick Jauron. It's probably going to be a situation where he will ask the new manager to give the coaches a chance, and if things aren't getting done, then he can fire them. But it is an interesting situation. I think he would have to be reasonable though if he brings in a veteran manager. If TLR were to be the manager, you have to allow him to bring in Duncan.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2003, 03:49 PM
As I understand it, all the coaches are being retained within the Sox organization. However, what their new assignments will be is still up in the air. KW and the new manager can be expected to make these decisions jointly.

Expect most of Manuel's staff to end up somewhere in the minor leagues. That's where most of them came from to begin with.

MHOUSE
09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Maybe Man Soo Lee is the new manager...?

fuzzy_patters
09-29-2003, 04:33 PM
I haven't read any articles about the coaching staff, but Viva posted that their positions "will be at the discretion of the manager." I'm not sure why some of you think that means they will be forced down the new manager's throat. At his discretion means it is up to him to decide whether to retain or fire them. That seems like a prudent decision to me.

jeremyb1
09-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I haven't read any articles about the coaching staff, but Viva posted that their positions "will be at the discretion of the manager." I'm not sure why some of you think that means they will be forced down the new manager's throat. At his discretion means it is up to him to decide whether to retain or fire them. That seems like a prudent decision to me.

It'd be somewhat shocking to see Coop and Walker canned after such a short time and relatively good results but if that's what it takes to lure a big name its probably not out of the realm of possibilities.

Win1ForMe
09-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Didn't the Cubs retain Larry Rothchild despite hiring Dusty? I think Dusty hired Dick Pole but only as bullpen coach. Still, I can't imagine someone with the ego of LaRussa or Torre not being able to hire their own staff.

Hope it's not Ozzie Guillen...

Nick@Nite
09-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Why was Bruce Kimm the only coach dismissed? Was he simply a Manuel-Loyalist who didn't deserve a look from the eventual new manager? It seems odd that the rest of the coaching staff are being retained (for now).

Rocklive99
09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Yeah, why Kimm? I can only remember one real bad call to send someone, and Bruce looked like he had a good relationship with the players and at least he was more enthusiastic than Jerry. Of course I don't know what goes on in the clubhouse or if Bruce ever messed up signs or anything, so I'm going with what I've seen. It's better than having another Kim coaching third.

Daver
09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
Why was Bruce Kimm the only coach dismissed?

For being a lousy third base coach leaps to mind.......

MisterB
09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Daver

A semi-rhetorical question: Can anyone name a really good third base coach? Seems to me getting just a couple of runners gunned down at the plate is enough for a 3B coach to be labeled 'horrible'...

Nick@Nite
09-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Originally posted by MisterB

A semi-rhetorical question: Can anyone name a really good third base coach? Seems to me getting just a couple of runners gunned down at the plate is enough for a 3B coach to be labeled 'horrible'...

Something seems as if Kimm is being singled out.

I was at Sox/Royals games in KC back in July, along with this past series to end the season. I sat right behind the Sox dugout, and Kimm looked and sounded like he was on top of things. With the makeup of the team, what could he possibly screw-up, the swing from your heels sign? Until Robbie Alomar arrived, nobody could perform the sacrifice bunt to save their life.

DrCrawdad
09-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
...I think Dusty hired Dick Pole but only as bullpen coach...

I believe Dick Pole is a...well other then a double phallic name...bench coach for the festive Cubbies.

One other phallically named Cubbie.
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/mm-wm1-241.gif
Pete LaCock, former Cubbie. (http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/L/LaCock_Pete.stm)

StillMissOzzie
09-30-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Hope it's not Ozzie Guillen...

Hey! I resemble that remark!

SMO
:gulp: