FYI

CHISOXFAN13
09-29-2003, 01:04 PM
ESPN 1000 has live coverage as well.

davenicholson
09-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
FYI
Can there be an "Official Press Conference Day" thread or something like it for us poor saps away from TV Land? Thanks.

scrubly
09-29-2003, 01:11 PM
in the immortal words of the Hawk, "HE GONE".

Medford Bobby
09-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks, even here in Cloudy, cool, Medford I'm watching Fox Chicago.......................Thank God for Sattellitte

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:15 PM
KW being very graticious to Jerry.

kittle42
09-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Mots09
KW being very graticious to Jerry.

I try to be very "graticious" to everyone.

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Losses in April and May come back to BITE YOU IN THE ASS IN SEPTEMBER!

JRIG
09-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Bruce Levine: Does the fact that you hit the same number of home runs as Boston yet scored 150 runs less mean that you have too many power hitters and not enough speed?

KW: "Well, obviously on-base percentage is very important."

Thank you, Kenny. Good answer.

white sox bill
09-29-2003, 01:23 PM
How come I got the flubs/toledo pirates game?

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:24 PM
"the ball is in franks court"

"larussa is still under contract"

Viva Magglio
09-29-2003, 01:25 PM
KW killed the TLR speculation by saying he's under contract with the Cardinals? Uh, Kenny, why don't you call Walt Jocketty and see if he'll let you talk to TLR???

ChiSox14305635
09-29-2003, 01:26 PM
The Score is carrying the press conference as well, but these 2 boobs, Boers & Bernstein keep making wisecracks throughout it, (though Boers is still funny).

Viva Magglio
09-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Did KW say "We're not going to give up and s***"? Maybe I misunderstood.

hold2dibber
09-29-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
KW killed the TLR speculation by saying he's under contract with the Cardinals? Uh, Kenny, why don't you call Walt Jocketty and see if he'll let you talk to TLR???

He might - but it sure as hell wouldn't be smart to say that he was going to do so at a press conference, for pete's sake.

SoxxoS
09-29-2003, 01:28 PM
TLR is still under contract...

We'll see about that.

KingXerxes
09-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Did Kenny Williams say that all coaches - other than Bruce Kimm - remain?

mandmandm
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
yes

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Bruce- are you waiting till after the ws to interview to interview a coach in the playoffs?

JW- YES :)

Torre???

SoxxoS
09-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Offered Colon "The richest package" in White Sox history!

Hokiesox
09-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Who is JW? did the ULTIMATE cataclysm happen during the press conference?!?

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:36 PM
my fault KW :)

i just had torre running through my mind

Hokiesox
09-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Man. Jerry Williams was a very frightening thought. Don't do that again. :)

SoxxoS
09-29-2003, 01:38 PM
On a side note-

I love KW. Talk about a smart guy with agressiveness that wants to win. Say what you want about the bad trades, but mistakes happen. He is still very young, and learning on the job.

Also, Damon Andrews (the guy who is interviewing KW on FSN) is HUGE.

Thank you.

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:39 PM
NO doubt. Did DAndrews play football in college??

valposoxfan
Well by the playoff comment it could be Torre...or Guillen.

mandmandm
On a side note-

I love KW. Talk about a smart guy with agressiveness that wants to win. Say what you want about the bad trades, but mistakes happen. He is still very young, and learning on the job.

Thank you.

Gotta love that he mentioned ass twice in his press conference.

Mots09
I think that with the struggles between Stein and Torre, this could be a good thing for the Sox

dickallen15
09-29-2003, 01:40 PM
On a side note-

Thank you.

I was walking down by the Merchandise Mart about a month ago, and Damon Andrews walked by me. I'm 6'4" about 220 lbs. I felt like a small child next to him.

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:41 PM
DA- Long are short list?

KW- SHORT
*Torre*??

SoxxoS
09-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Damon Andrews-You need to wait until after the world series to talk to certain guys, and you want to wait until after the world series to name the manager. Will that give you enough time to interview coaches that are currently in the playoffs?

KW with a big grin on his face-You need to wait until the world series is over to talk with certain coaches. (Long pause) If you want to talk to someone on one of those teams.

Torre is the only guy I can think of. Interesting.

valposoxfan
09-29-2003, 01:43 PM
I really really like KW. He is the kind of man that doesn't tip toe around questions and is realisitc. He went out of his way to point out that there were many many problems in the clubhouse and that it wasn't just JM's fault. He is not going to kiss anyone's ass and I love that. He mentioned some "certain" personnel changes, singled out Lee and Everett and "80 percent of the Twins team" as people who play every day. This man will find us the right guy and the right players. I am confident about this. We are fortunate to have this man as GM folks. Let's enjoy it while it lasts. I'm looking forward to next year already.

bc2k
09-29-2003, 01:44 PM
I think KW is looking at a playoff manager or coach to manage the Sox. I think he let that out of the bag while talking to Damon Andrews.

KW has already offered Colon the richest offer in Sox history? Oh yeah, it's go time baby.

valposoxfan
Damon Andrews-You need to wait until after the world series to talk to certain guys, and you want to wait until after the world series to name the manager. Will that give you enough time to interview coaches that are currently in the playoffs?

KW with a big grin on his face-You need to wait until the world series is over to talk with certain coaches. (Long pause) If you want to talk to someone on one of those teams.

Torre is the only guy I can think of. Interesting.

Guillen is in the playoffs too.... :smile:

idseer
let me take this moment to congratulate all white sox fans upon jerry's dismissal.

:gulp:

SoxxoS
Jerry Manuel's firing then the Flubbies....Can it get any better?

SoxxoS
09-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Guillen is in the playoffs too.... :smile:

I don't want a manager with no experience. Please.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2003, 01:51 PM
Very VERY impressive press conference by Williams.

Any extra money goes to pitching! Beautiful!

He's got a short list of managerial candidates! Even better!

Sox have offered Colon the richest contract in Sox history (which granted may not be saying much...) tremendous!

It's his decision on who the manager is (if true...) Great!

I like this guy!

Lip

Mots09
09-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Loved the pitching staff comments.
Sounds as we are going to get more speed.
Sounds like we are going after Torre:)

Overally a great day to be a sox fan!

Chisox353014
09-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Wow, Jerry Manuel's gone...
It seems like only yesterday I was voting for him for Move of The Week for pinch-hitting Aaron Miles against the Twins...
I hope losing a baseball mind of this caliber doesn't come back to haunt us.

bc2k
09-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
I really really like KW. He is the kind of man that doesn't tip toe around questions and is realisitc. He went out of his way to point out that there were many many problems in the clubhouse and that it wasn't just JM's fault. He is not going to kiss anyone's ass and I love that. He mentioned some "certain" personnel changes, singled out Lee and Everett and "80 percent of the Twins team" as people who play every day. This man will find us the right guy and the right players. I am confident about this. We are fortunate to have this man as GM folks. Let's enjoy it while it lasts. I'm looking forward to next year already.

Ditto. I thought the same thing: KW will find the right man for this team. And KW is the right man for White Sox General Manager.

HawkDJ
09-29-2003, 05:29 PM
It's hard to believe many people wanted KW's head just a year ago. I have always tried to be a supporter of KW since I knew going for it and failing is better than doing asbolutely nothing and failing. KW made some mistakes early on but he's always had the attitude of wanting to win and win now. He's grown into a very good GM and I have full confidence in him for 2004.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2003, 05:54 PM
I just rewatched a tape of the press conference and what stuck me during it was how "angry" Williams seemed.

Maybe it's because I haven't seen him on camera that much but he seemed to be controlling himself with great difficulty.

I got the sense especially when the female reporter asked him if not making the playoffs was Manuel's or the player's fault, that he'd really like to say some things but couldn't.

I was struck by the look on his face and the emotion in his voice when he was saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'I'm getting ready to go to lunch when I should have been getting on a plane to go to our playoff opponent's city.'

Then you had the part was he was talking about being aggressive and that's the way he is.

He seemed to be measuring his words before speaking although some times he almost 'spit' the words out as if he was very frustrated by all this.

i also wonder what some of the players are thinking after he mentioned Lee and Everett by name as guys who came to play every day. (Was that a veiled slap at Thomas, Ordonez and Konerko?)

It's going to be an interesting off season I assure you.

Lip

Nick@Nite
09-29-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
It's hard to believe many people wanted KW's head just a year ago. I have always tried to be a supporter of KW since I knew going for it and failing is better than doing absolutely nothing and failing. KW made some mistakes early on but he's always had the attitude of wanting to win and win now. He's grown into a very good GM and I have full confidence in him for 2004.

Per Tony Gwynn, KW could be next... "The White Sox's management might not be done making moves. Some ownership groups will blame a losing season on the manager. And some will blame it on the GM and the manager. This group may be getting ready to get rid of GM Kenny Williams, also. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1626251

My gut feeling is KW will not suffer the same fate as JM... but who knows?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
Per Tony Gwynn, KW could be next...

Earlier this month Hawk Harrelson said...

:hawk
"Kenny Williams is the MVP of this organization."

As anyone who has followed this ballclub closely the last ten years will tell you:

Hawk Harrelson = official mouthpiece for Jerry Reinsdorf.

Williams' job couldn't be safer right now. :smile:

bc2k
09-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I just rewatched a tape of the press conference and what stuck me during it was how "angry" Williams seemed.

Maybe it's because I haven't seen him on camera that much but he seemed to be controlling himself with great difficulty.

I got the sense especially when the female reporter asked him if not making the playoffs was Manuel's or the player's fault, that he'd really like to say some things but couldn't.

I was struck by the look on his face and the emotion in his voice when he was saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'I'm getting ready to go to lunch when I should have been getting on a plane to go to our playoff opponent's city.'

Then you had the part was he was talking about being aggressive and that's the way he is.

He seemed to be measuring his words before speaking although some times he almost 'spit' the words out as if he was very frustrated by all this.

i also wonder what some of the players are thinking after he mentioned Lee and Everett by name as guys who came to play every day. (Was that a veiled slap at Thomas, Ordonez and Konerko?)

It's going to be an interesting off season I assure you.

Lip

I saw the press conference and KW spoke in typical KW manner. From what I've seen, he always talks in that controlled, clear, authoritative voice. That is just the type of guy he is and how he speaks. With a public audience, he must speak only after he thinks about his response. His speech and body language is always professional.