PDA

View Full Version : Astros to trade Billy Wagner?

MHOUSE
09-29-2003, 12:29 PM
This was on the ESPN MLB index, but the page wouldn't load so no link yet. He can throw 100 mph and that would translate well NL/AL I think. I know the Koch experience was bad, but maybe they would swap closers in a chance to get Koch back to form? This should probably be in deeppink, but still worth mentioning.

Bobby Thigpen
09-29-2003, 12:42 PM
I saw this on ESPN too and was intrigued, but I doubt the Astros would get rid of Wagner in a cost cutting move just to take on Koch's dog of a contract. But then again look at some of the moves the Sox have made in the past.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2003, 02:04 PM
The story I heard said that Wagner is claiming the Astros will trade him to save his eight million dollar salary.

Other potential closers available will be Foulke, Hoffman, Urbina and Guardado.

Lip

jabrch
09-29-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The story I heard said that Wagner is claiming the Astros will trade him to save his eight million dollar salary.

Other potential closers available will be Foulke, Hoffman, Urbina and Guardado.

Lip

Both Hawkins and Guardado are gone from Minn next year. JC Romero to close. I would be happy with any of those guys (thrilled with Wagner) if it was a deal that unloaded Billy Koch at the same time. I don't buy it. Houston aint that poor and they aint that dumb. The 3mm they would save wouldn't be enough to go from Wags to Koch.

MHOUSE
09-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1626125)

I would take Hawkins in a heartbeat. I've never liked Guardado and I'd rather have Foulke, Wagner, or Urbina. Hoffman is good but there's the chance of another injury. Urbina has been stellar for Florida and if they stick with the cheaper Looper then maybe we have a chance. The article said that Wagner is owed $9 million and Hidalgo might be gone too.

Foulke You
09-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Latroy Hawkins would look good in a Sox uniform. Although you couldn't use him as a closer. He really struggled in the closer spot but has blossomed in that 8th inning setup role. I would rather see us sign Hawkins over Gordon and then you can use Hawkins in a setup role and Marte to close out games.

MHOUSE
09-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Latroy Hawkins would look good in a Sox uniform. Although you couldn't use him as a closer. He really struggled in the closer spot but has blossomed in that 8th inning setup role. I would rather see us sign Hawkins over Gordon and then you can use Hawkins in a setup role and Marte to close out games.

Marte is too versatile to be limited to the 9th inning. I think Marte and Hawkins setting up Gordon would make a wicked end to the game for opponents. We'd only need to add a couple of decent MR relief arms for relatively cheap with those 3 at the end. Sully sure could eat those innings.....