PDA

View Full Version : More Media Conspiracy: Other team getting Primetime throughout playoffs

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 12:56 PM
and why is that? "...because the teams tale of Woe makes them a National Story". Thats all ?? the story also points to their previous 8.3 rating when they were on tv. Doesnt the fact ANYONE on in primetime will get a huge rating? I believe had the sox been given PrimeTime in 2000, our tale of "woe" wouldve gotten us huge ratings too. what a load of BullSh**
on top of this....WGN will also be carrying all the games???
Unbelievable. Something tells me the Networks are REALLY PULLING FOR THEM TO GO ALL THE WAY. thats not good for the
"integrity" of the game........I can see already a TON of bad calls going against the Braves .... Watch how small the Atlanta Strike zone will be for thier pitchers....... :angry:

CHISOXFAN13
09-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Before you blast WGN for broadcasting the Cubs playoff games, remember that GN was also going to broadcast our playoff games if we made it.

Hullett_Fan
09-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Hangar,

I think you're a bit paranoid. :smile:

They are primetime because they are (next to Yankees and Braves) "America's Team". And that's because the Cubs stuck with WGN and hired Harry (unlike the Sox who fired Harry and tried to charge people to watch the games).

I'd rather watch Cubs-Braves than SF-Florida in primetime and most of the population would too.

alohafri
09-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
WGN will also be carrying all the games???

Remember how all of our 2000 playoff games were played at night and covered on WGN for all of the locals who don't get ESPN? You don't? That's because they weren't.

Atlanta in three! Please God!

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey, at least the ****ing Yankees won't be the featured team this year...thank god for small favors.

I'm just happy to be able to watch "my" Bravos beat up on the Baby Bears. Day games during the week are annoying for us working folk.

anewman35
09-29-2003, 01:09 PM
The media likes the Cubs better than us because the Cubs have more fans and get better ratings. It's not hard to understand. It's sad, yes, but you have to understand the media doesn't give a **** which team they promote, they just want to make the most money. The Cubs make them more money, so they get more coverage. Simple.

TDog
09-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Hangar, I think you have a point.

I also think that if the outcomes of Chicago's two baseball teams were reversed, we'd be hearing almost as much about the Cubs "magical" season as we would of the playoff Sox.

thepaulbowski
09-29-2003, 01:11 PM
I don't really see why they wouldn't get the primetime coverage. They should give to Florida?!?! C'mon this is getting a little petty isn't it?

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 01:17 PM
The "reasoning" for the SOX not getting primetime last time around Pales to the Reasoning their giving now.
1. #1 Market
2. national story

one of these reasons is Tangible, and has Results.
the other reason is Made-for-TV. Why is the Twins "cinderella"
season being Ignored? Which reason do you think makes more sense? this is BS and I BETTER NOT SEE NBA type Calls Going against ATLANTA, so the MEDIA can have their DREAM SERIES (as theyre secretly calling it)

thepaulbowski
09-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Why is the Twins "cinderella" season being Ignored?

The Twins played this role last year, it' somebody else's turn now.

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 01:25 PM
The "Excuses" the media is going to run out there including the "cubs have more fans" bs is tired. Why do they have more Fans? Media keeps giving them EXTRA COVERAGE.
What Came FIRST PEOPLE,,.......THE CHICKEN or the EGG ???

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 01:29 PM
This is WHY, I said it til I was BLUE in the face, HOW IMPORTANT this season was, that We Made the Playoffs, and not the cubs.
The Media is Going Hog Wild........Just LIke I knew they would.
them being a "national story" is pure Perception and Speculation
and merely a Ploy to get them to go all the way

CHISOXFAN13
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Hangar, which series should be the primetime series then??

As a pure baseball fan, I'd like to see the A's/BoSox, but as a realist, I fully understand why the Cubs/Braves series is being showcased.

Face it, the Cubs have nationwide popularity. When the Sox were playing their games on Channel 44, the Cubs were on GN every day.

That's not the media's fault.

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Look at who made the playoffs this year:

-Yankees - very popular worldwide, but have been in the playoffs every year since 1995

-Twins - small market team with almost no fan appeal outside their own state

-A's - mildly popular but ignored west coast team, but has been in the playoffs the last 3 years

-Red Sox - hugely popular; long history of "losing", great "storyline"

-Flubs - hugely popular despite decades of suckage thanks to WGN; great "storyline" because they've sucked for so long

-Marlins - a team absolutely no one gives a crap about

Giants - popular team, but was in the playoffs in 97/00/02

Braves - popular team, but they've been to the playoffs 12 years in a row

__

Of these teams, you'd have to conclude that the obvious game to spotlight would be either the Red Sox/A's or Flubs/Braves. The Flubs get the nod because they've been to the playoffs so rarely, and have a huge national fanbase that will mean huge ratings. Period.

This is a no-brainer, Hangar.

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Look at who made the playoffs this year:

-Yankees - very popular worldwide, but have been in the playoffs every year since 1995

-Twins - small market team with almost no fan appeal outside their own state

-A's - mildly popular but ignored west coast team, but has been in the playoffs the last 3 years

-Red Sox - hugely popular; long history of "losing", great "storyline"

-Flubs - hugely popular despite decades of suckage thanks to WGN; great "storyline" because they've sucked for so long

-Marlins - a team absolutely no one gives a crap about

Giants - popular team, but was in the playoffs in 97/00/02

Braves - popular team, but they've been to the playoffs 12 years in a row

__

Of these teams, you'd have to conclude that the obvious game to spotlight would be either the Red Sox/A's or Flubs/Braves. The Flubs get the nod because they've been to the playoffs so rarely, and have a huge national fanbase that will mean huge ratings. Period.

This is a no-brainer, Hangar.

OK....good point. But HOW MANY OF THESE TEAMS ARE IGNORED BY THE MEDIA first?

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2003, 01:54 PM
OK....good point. But HOW MANY OF THESE TEAMS ARE IGNORED BY THE MEDIA first?

The Cubs have had nationwide ballgames for 25 years now, thanks to WGN being on cable systems nationwide. There's simply no comparison to the Twins, Marlins, A's, etc.

EOT.

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 08:32 PM
I think FOX and ESPN were hinting this move for weeks now. Why is it all we've heard was how "what a great story" it would be if the Boston and the f****in Cubs made it to the Series.
Watch folks.......how suddenly it will be "great for Baseball" if those two make it. Im sensing a Made-for-TV movie in the making, complete with bad calls going against Atlanta, with Gary Glover starring in the role of "Moses" Baker, Ben Affleck as "the Messiah" mark prior, and SNL comedian Tracey Morgan as sammy
This will "save" baseball wouldnt it? Think of the human interest stories MLB could Peddle? THink of all the Old Ladies they'll interview in nursing homes, asking them to recall the Price of beer back in 1908 .......

soxwon
09-29-2003, 08:44 PM
please dont say its a conspiracy- i cant live if the cubs make the series. please pray its not fixed.
just let them play and the better team will win SF or ATL.
the cubs are really not THAT GOOD.

jortafan
09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Ben Affleck as "the Messiah" mark prior,

Nah, Affleck is such a Red Sox geek that he'd want to play Nomar. Maybe we'd get stuck seeing Jennifer Lopez as Mia Hamm.

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2003, 08:59 PM
I think FOX and ESPN were hinting this move for weeks now. Why is it all we've heard was how "what a great story" it would be if the Boston and the f****in Cubs made it to the Series.
Watch folks.......how suddenly it will be "great for Baseball" if those two make it. Im sensing a Made-for-TV movie in the making, complete with bad calls going against Atlanta, with Gary Glover starring in the role of "Moses" Baker, Ben Affleck as "the Messiah" mark prior, and SNL comedian Tracey Morgan as sammy
This will "save" baseball wouldnt it? Think of the human interest stories MLB could Peddle? THink of all the Old Ladies they'll interview in nursing homes, asking them to recall the Price of beer back in 1908 .......

Gary Glover is now black?

:)

xil357
09-29-2003, 09:45 PM

I'm in graduate school, I don't have TIVO, my TV reception sucks and my beloved White Sox are not in the postseason, so I will not be watching much of the playoffs this year.

Hangar, I will rely on you and others to dutifully report on all of the questionable calls that arise if the Cubs somehow advance in the playoffs. If it turns out to be a Cubs-Red Sox media wet dream circle jerk, and questionable calls are part of the mix, I will research the necessary files through freedom of information requests and will write my PhD thesis on media bias and the manufacturing of sports outcomes to maximize profits.

If there is a Cubs-Red Sox series that is clearly manufactured by questionable calls, baseball as we know it will be finished. It will cease to be a competitive sport and Bud Selig will go down as the most shameless phony this side of Vince McMahon for allowing / orchestrating this.

kittle42
09-30-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by xil357

If there is a Cubs-Red Sox series that is clearly manufactured by questionable calls, baseball as we know it will be finished.

I hear that next year's World Series has already been planned, too. Oh, actually, the commish has known the outcome of every game for the last 35 years. You see, he went ahead in time with the help of a flex capacitor and 1.21 jigowatts of electricity.

If the Cubs make it to or even win the World Series, it will be because they played better baseball than the Braves, Ginats, and whoever else they may face. As mucg as it pains me to say that, it is true.

You know, people used to say he same crap all the time about the Bulls and the Lakers. Brian Urlacher is one of the most popular players in football. So is Michael Vick. So why did the Super Bowl feature the Bucs last year? Because everyone loves Keyshawn and Sapp? Obviously, the NFL didn;t get the fix in or do their marketing homework.

Why aren't the Mets in the playoffs? We all know more NY = more cashola.

Shouldn't the NHL, who is really hurting for money, have had the Rangers and, say, the 'Hawks or Wings in the finals last year?

Hangar and the rest of the conspiracy theorists - maybe you should send in your resumes to television networks and league offices right now so they can all right their ships - they obviously have no idea how to rig all their sporting events.

TommyJohn
09-30-2003, 04:56 AM
THe national media and idiots in it have been slobbering over
the idea of a Cubs-Red Sox World Series for years now. If MLB
wanted to rig it so that it would happen, it would've done so
a long time ago. The teams that play the best ball in the play-
offs will meet in the World Series.

:costas

Cubs-Red Sox!! Oh, the magic!! Oh, the mystique!! Oh,
the pure and simple joy of it all!! This is why God created
the game of baseball from a simple piece of wood!!

As for you White Sox fans, it is my smug, arrogant pro-
nouncement that you are being punished for your sins
against against baseball, America, youth, Mickey Mantle
and GOD!! Go, wear sackcloth and ponder what I have
said unto you! The great baseball philosopher hath spo-
ken!!

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Ok Fellas. there are a few of you who think Im coming out of Left Field here (no pun intended) But ponder this. it is Much Easier to "FIX" a 5 game series than a Whole darn season. Lets be realistic here. Im telling you, there is way WAY too much "chatter" among the Media Giants about "the good of the game" "human interest" "boston baked beans vs. Chicago deepdish" "baseballs dream matchup" " ......the two oldest parks possibly hosting americas fall classic" " .....both fans are long suffering...one will win for sure" " a world series for the ages"
"best series ever??" " advertisers hope for boston/cub matchup"
Im not feeling very good about this at all. These damn cubs are going to the series, thanks to market share, and demographics, and Not talent. If this happens, I will swear off baseball forever, and Selig will have Shamed this game forever

anewman35
09-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Ok Fellas. there are a few of you who think Im coming out of Left Field here (no pun intended) But ponder this. it is Much Easier to "FIX" a 5 game series than a Whole darn season. Lets be realistic here. Im telling you, there is way WAY too much "chatter" among the Media Giants about "the good of the game" "human interest" "boston baked beans vs. Chicago deepdish" "baseballs dream matchup" " ......the two oldest parks possibly hosting americas fall classic" " .....both fans are long suffering...one will win for sure" " a world series for the ages"
"best series ever??" " advertisers hope for boston/cub matchup"
Im not feeling very good about this at all. These damn cubs are going to the series, thanks to market share, and demographics, and Not talent. If this happens, I will swear off baseball forever, and Selig will have Shamed this game forever

I'm sorry, but this is getting very old. At least wait until the damn series starts before claiming it's fixed. No matter who's in the series, the media will find storylines to love. If they fixed things, they'd have New York, LA and Chicago in the playoffs every year. There are plenty of things that the networks and MLB do wrong, but until you have some evidence, calm down.

harwar
09-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Up until recently i traveled quite a bit and i always ran into braves & cubs fans because people all over the country have been watching them for years on cable and they became fans.I found that most people around the country hate the yankees but absolutely love the cubs.When i mentioned the White Sox there were times that people didn't even know they played in Chicago..very sad.

scrubly
09-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by harwar
the White Sox there were times that people didn't even know they played in Chicago..very sad.

I think some of it is connected to the fact that the Sox went from historic Comisky Park (call it a dump, call it a shrine, it was still historic) to the shopping mall they play in now. Given the choice, most fans would much rather get packed into Wrigley than visit the south side.

Obviously, television has a tremendous effect too.

daveeym
09-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Patient: Doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this.
Doctor: Then don't move it like that.

Hangar please quit reading the papers and watching the news.

I'm starting to be embarrassed to be a Sox fan.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
Patient: Doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this.
Doctor: Then don't move it like that.

Hangar please quit reading the papers and watching the news.

I'm starting to be embarrassed to be a Sox fan.

heheh, very funny. Anyone see that light at the end of the Tunnel? Its a Train :smile:

voodoochile
09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
heheh, very funny. Anyone see that light at the end of the Tunnel? Its a Train :smile:

ATrain? Just go for the ankles. He can't lift his fat feet off the ground and will do down easily if you go low.

kittle42
09-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
ATrain? Just go for the ankles. He can't lift his fat feet off the ground and will do down easily if you go low.

Never voluntarily reveal wrestling fandom.

Yours truly, former wwe(f) employee,

kittle42

voodoochile
09-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Never voluntarily reveal wrestling fandom.

Yours truly, former wwe(f) employee,

kittle42

Am I missing something here? Is there a WWE wrestler named ATrain? I don't watch WWE and have never followed it for more than a laugh years ago.

I was referring to Anthony Thomas - the Bears RB.

kittle42
09-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Am I missing something here? Is there a WWE wrestler named ATrain? I don't watch WWE and have never followed it for more than a laugh years ago.

I was referring to Anthony Thomas - the Bears RB.

Well, color me embarrassed.

This is what happens when someone brings up A Train the wrestler during the Bears game last night.

Dan1972
09-30-2003, 01:34 PM
So bottom line is...we are going to miss the season premier of Smallville for this crap?

anewman35
09-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Dan1972
So bottom line is...we are going to miss the season premier of Smallville for this crap?

According to wgntv.com, it's on after the game (and after that is Angel).

xil357
09-30-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
I'm sorry, but this is getting very old. At least wait until the damn series starts before claiming it's fixed. No matter who's in the series, the media will find storylines to love. If they fixed things, they'd have New York, LA and Chicago in the playoffs every year. There are plenty of things that the networks and MLB do wrong, but until you have some evidence, calm down.

I never have said, and I don't believe that Hangar has said, that a CONSPIRACY CURRENTLY EXISTS.

To say so with absolute certainty would be ludicrous.

But what I am saying, and what I think Hangar is saying, is that there exists a perfect opportunity, and a profit motive, for such a conspiracy to be hatched.

Its like predicting the future:

I can't guarantee that Bush will be re-elected (appointed?) in 2004 or that an asteroid will wipe out the human race tomorrow.

But I would not be surprised if either happened. Same thing with a conspriacy involving baseball.

We are not saying that a conspriracy exists.

We are saying that we would not be surprised if a conspiracy is underway.

Two mottos come to mind: TO BE FOREWARNED IS TO BE FOREARMED and KEEP AN OPEN MIND.

Or as the Boy Scouts say: BE PREPARED.

mulvaskills
09-30-2003, 04:38 PM
I believe there is something about a media conspiracy in the title of this thread.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 04:43 PM
YES, and how easy would it be for me, Come November, to start telling Everyone I had a feeling there was a media conspiracy. Im telling anyone in earshot that something funny is going on, and I dont like it. one bit.

anewman35
09-30-2003, 04:53 PM
YES, and how easy would it be for me, Come November, to start telling Everyone I had a feeling there was a media conspiracy. Im telling anyone in earshot that something funny is going on, and I dont like it. one bit.

Again, show me one bit of evidence that "something funny is going on". Just because people want the Cubs and Red Sox to make the series, you already are positive they are going to? You could make a lot of money in Vegas if you're so sure...

Scotty347
09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
These posts by Hangar all over this message board are getting pretty ridiculous.

I don't post here very often, but I read the board daily.

We lost. The Cubs won. They deserve all the attention they are getting, we have no right to complain about it. These conspiracy theories every third post are silly make me embarassed to be a part of this board. Please move on to something else.

Talk about giving the media a reason to be biased towards the White Sox. If I was a Cubs fan or media member reading these posts I would not be able to believe how stupid they make Sox fans look on our board.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Scotty, with all due respect, I made my comment, and others have comments on them. thats all

daveeym
09-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
These posts by Hangar all over this message board are getting pretty ridiculous.

We lost. The Cubs won. They deserve all the attention they are getting, we have no right to complain about it. These conspiracy theories every third post are silly make me embarassed to be a part of this board. Please move on to something else.

Talk about giving the media a reason to be biased towards the White Sox. If I was a Cubs fan or media member reading these posts I would not be able to believe how stupid they make Sox fans look on our board.

Amen, Scotty. However cubs fans make much stupider comments. For example this morning a Cub fan told me that they hope Ryne Sandberg hits a homerun in tonights game.

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
Amen, Scotty. However cubs fans make much stupider comments. For example this morning a Cub fan told me that they hope Ryne Sandberg hits a homerun in tonights game.

are you kidding me? Thats almost as good as the Scrub
fans last nite, at the bar, telling me Baker took a 90 loss team and made them winners (sure they read this in the paper)
I politely informed them that there are probably 20 new players
on this team now ........

Hangar18
09-30-2003, 05:41 PM

Scott, thanks for the response. My feeling that a Scrub/Bosox
world series being "fixed" come because of the overwhelming
amount of media time being focused on it. Sure....sound like a good story right? but who is putting the story out there? Why did FOX/ESPN decide suddenly to put the Scrubs on Primetime, while we, from the same city and owners of the best record in the AL in 2000, were relegated to 3pm starts? Why is the media running wild the last few days, telling anyone and everyone how GREAT a boston/chicago series would be? There was an article just TODAY that I researched, and talked about how ATTENDANCE WAS DOWN throughout the ML, and so were the TV Ratings. TV pays MLB big big $$$$$ to televise games. Thats All. Everything up for discussion. Nobody wants to believe....Great. Some want to Disagree.....Even Better. Im just telling people, that if the League determines it wants to "save itself", why wouldnt it Create a storyline ? MLB certainly has the MOTIVE to do this. These are the same guys Who were guilty of COLLUSION, so were dealing with some pretty Shady People.

anewman35
09-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Why did FOX/ESPN decide suddenly to put the Scrubs on Primetime, while we, from the same city and owners of the best record in the AL in 2000, were relegated to 3pm starts?

The vast majority of the country loves the Cubs. The vast majority of the country is completly indifferent towards the Sox. That's why.

CHISOXFAN13
09-30-2003, 07:59 PM
So from every thread on the board, it appears as if the Cubs can't earn the WS title, but it can only be given to them.

I love the Sox, but give them some freeking credit. Seriously.

If you don't think the Cubs talent is good enough to win in the playoffs, you need to stay out of the bar.

1951Campbell
09-30-2003, 08:18 PM
If the WS turns out to be Marlins/Twins, Hangar18 has to eat a Flubs hat or a BoSox hat. His choice.

39thandWallace
10-01-2003, 03:22 AM
I went to 2 of those ALDS games in 2000. I was in Carpenter school and couldn't leave early, needless to say by the time I left Elk Grove Village at 4pm I saw only 2-3 innings of each game.

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
If the WS turns out to be Marlins/Twins, Hangar18 has to eat a Flubs hat or a BoSox hat. His choice.

I'll eat the RedSox hat ....... no way i eat a sCrub hat

Reichardt
10-01-2003, 11:13 AM

I love Hangar's passion. His posts are always fun to read and as a rabid Sox fan/ Cub hater he speaks my language.
Keep it comin' Hangar!!!