PDA

View Full Version : Manuel a Class Act

LASOXFAN
09-29-2003, 01:50 AM
I've taken my fair share of shots at Manuel this year and in year's past, particularly following the disastrous 2000 playoffs.

This is a good read about what players are saying about him and how he's handled the adversity.

Class Act (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030928manuel,1,7601347.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

At first I found myself feeling bad for Jerry, especially reading the comments of Konerko and Alomar. If anyone is to blame for this season's lost opportunities it is the players and not the manager, as they point out. And if they feel so bad about it now screw them, they should've played harder earlier in the season.

But in truth there is nothing to feel sorry about. Sox fans were treated to a class act as manager during the Manuel era, that we can agree on, I hope. But he failed as a manager, plain and simple.

I wish him the best, but am glad to see him gone. Let's sign Willie Randolph and get this century started in the right direction so generations of Sox fans in the decades to come will point to 2004 as the year the dynasty began! :gulp:

Kilroy
09-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
But in truth there is nothing to feel sorry about. Sox fans were treated to a class act as manager during the Manuel era, that we can agree on, I hope. But he failed as a manager, plain and simple.

I wish him the best, but am glad to see him gone.

I agree. He is a class act. And, I think it is time for him to be gone. But until the next skipper is named, I'll be worried. While we assume things will get better, they could just as easily get worse. Remember, one time, the next skipper was Terry Bevington.

idseer
09-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I agree. He is a class act. And, I think it is time for him to be gone. But until the next skipper is named, I'll be worried. While we assume things will get better, they could just as easily get worse. Remember, one time, the next skipper was Terry Bevington.

one thing i'll say about the players remarks ...

what makes anyone think they know managing anymore than anyone else? 98% of players don't become managers because they would make the same kind of stupid moves manuel always made!

it doesn't matter one bit whether the players think manuel is not at fault for his predicament.

voodoochile
09-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by idseer
one thing i'll say about the players remarks ...

what makes anyone think they know managing anymore than anyone else? 98% of players don't become managers because they would make the same kind of stupid moves manuel always made!

it doesn't matter one bit whether the players think manuel is not at fault for his predicament.

Beyond that, what are else are they going to say to a reporter?

AP NEWSWIRE, Chicago.

Well cleaning out their lockers today, the Sox players were very vocal about their feelings on the imminent firing of Jerry Manuel. "Get that bum out of here," screamed Mark Buehrle as several players nodded their heads in the background. "He doesn't know crap about baseball and I hope he rots in Hell."

Not to be out done, Jose Valentin chimed in. "If this baseball is an average brain, " he said brandishing an official ball while reaching for his golf bag, "Then this golfball is Jerry's brain."

Later in a less crowded locker room, Frank Thomas added his two-cents. "Jerry is evil and mean. The players all hated him and he had no idea how to run a team. He didn't understand baseball strategy and he used to laugh in the office after every loss. I don't know why he hated us all so much, but believe you me, it was mutual."

woodenleg
09-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Here's to Jerry. I know he was a failure, but I'm sorry, I'm still going to miss him. :gulp:

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 10:01 AM
He is one of the nicer people in baseball. I dont feel that bad,
because good things will come to good people. He'll be ok.
Good Luck Jerry, and Thank You Thank You, for beating the Cubs
this season.

MarqSox
09-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Cheers to a mediocre manager and a terrific human being. Here's hoping he finds success elsewhere, as long as it's not in a blue and red cap. :gulp: :gulp:

DrCrawdad
09-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Cheers to a mediocre manager and a terrific human being. Here's hoping he finds success elsewhere, as long as it's not in a blue and red cap. :gulp: :gulp:

Don't be surprised if Manuel becomes Dusty Baylor's third base coach next year.

idseer
09-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

AP NEWSWIRE, Chicago.

Well cleaning out their lockers today, the Sox players were very vocal about their feelings on the imminent firing of Jerry Manuel. "Get that bum out of here," screamed Mark Buehrle as several players nodded their heads in the background. "He doesn't know crap about baseball and I hope he rots in Hell."

Not to be out done, Jose Valentin chimed in. "If this baseball is an average brain, " he said brandishing an official ball while reaching for his golf bag, "Then this golfball is Jerry's brain."

Later in a less crowded locker room, Frank Thomas added his two-cents. "Jerry is evil and mean. The players all hated him and he had no idea how to run a team. He didn't understand baseball strategy and he used to laugh in the office after every loss. I don't know why he hated us all so much, but believe you me, it was mutual."

cracked me up! :)

MarqSox
09-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I know. That's why I hedged my support ... :(:

fledgedrallycap
09-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
He is one of the nicer people in baseball. I dont feel that bad,
because good things will come to good people. He'll be ok.
Good Luck Jerry, and Thank You Thank You, for beating the Cubs
this season.

My thoughts exactly.

Let's not feel too terrible for him, he will be making more money we'll ever see next year and could do it in the conforts on his lay-z-boy... :smile:

DrCrawdad
09-29-2003, 10:56 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/02/17/iC5mWwjF.jpg
"It was a tough summer for me personally, but I wouldn't trade it. I came here to be a servant, not a celebrity.''

Jerry, you're a good man and a gentleman as typified by the quote. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

delben91
09-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Indeed. My hat's off to Jerry Manuel. A finer man may never coach the White Sox again. Unfortunate he couldn't get the job done, but all the best to him where ever he ends up. :gulp:

Though it's over....

GO SOX!

faneidde
09-29-2003, 11:18 AM
Jerry Manual is truly a class individual and a decent human being. I remember a game in Minnesota were Jerry was thrown out in the first inning arguing a pretty meaningless call at first base the day after a columnist had accused him of not having enough fire. Here's to you Jerry. :gulp:

Jerko
09-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Manuel may be a class act, but this is why I will be glad to see him go:

June 24, 2001: The Sox win 22 of 29 games to reach the .500 mark, but they never threaten Cleveland for AL Central supremacy. Season-ending injuries to Thomas, Mike Sirotka, Cal Eldred, Antonio Osuna and Kelly Wunsch take a toll.

It seems EVERY year the Sox had to go on a tear like that to REACH .500! If you have to go 22-7 to REACH .500 that means that the April May tinkering does not work, and that was 2001! Did it stop in 2002 or 2003? No. Same exact script almost every year since 2000. So, Manuel may be a class act, but class alone does not make up for the abysmal job he has done since the 2000 playoffs.

MarqSox
09-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Manuel may be a class act, but this is why I will be glad to see him go:

It seems EVERY year the Sox had to go on a tear like that to REACH .500! If you have to go 22-7 to REACH .500 that means that the April May tinkering does not work, and that was 2001! Did it stop in 2002 or 2003? No. Same exact script almost every year since 2000. So, Manuel may be a class act, but class alone does not make up for the abysmal job he has done since the 2000 playoffs.
Hey Jerk, we all know Manuel's a bad manager. That's not what we're talking about in this thread ... there's more to life than baseball, and Jerry understands that. Let's let him leave with a bit of dignity instead of beating him over the head.

Jerko
09-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Hey Jerk, we all know Manuel's a bad manager. That's not what we're talking about in this thread ... there's more to life than baseball, and Jerry understands that. Let's let him leave with a bit of dignity instead of beating him over the head.

Once he leaves I will wish him well in any endeavors he faces in life.

TDog
09-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I would be surprised if he doesn't.

alohafri
09-29-2003, 01:15 PM
No one is denying that Manuel is a class act, however, he is (was) a lousy manager.

1. Burying Keith Foulke last season, despite his comeback in the second half.

2. Burying Frank Thomas at DH despite Frank's willingness to play first base, and Frank's overwhelmingly better numbers at first base.

3. Playing the "Golden Boy" Konerko at first base despite his hitting a buck 50, while a previously consistent lefty, Brian Daubach rotted away on the bench.

4. 87 different lineups in the first 89 games in 2003.

Feel free to add to this list.

I am relieved that I can finally turn my Sox flag right side up after the 1:00 press conference.

DrCrawdad
09-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Just wondering if the Sox press conference will be televised?

The SCORE is broadcasting it, but will AM 1000?

MHOUSE
09-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Manuel is a GREAT GUY. He's nice, good to the media and the fans. He seems like he'd be fun to hang around with and whatever. But he's an awful baseball manager. I know that sometimes these two things get mixed up, but I'd rather have a guy win games even if he was an a-hole. I'm welcoming a new manager, but i truly don't have any hard feelings towards Jerry Manuel the person.

wassagstdu
09-29-2003, 01:45 PM
I second everything in this thread -- except the bogus quotes from the sox locker room. Manuel's got to be replaced, but I am sorry he has to go and wish him well. He was a class act from day 1 to the end. Maybe he'll change a few ideas and get a second shot at it one of these days... Can good guys finish first??

jeremyb1
09-29-2003, 05:26 PM
I think it was most likely the right decision to fire Jerry. Even if it was the wrong decision, it was still probably the only option. All reports are that KW and JR were pretty upset to have to take the steps they did. I for one will miss Jerry a lot.

Jjav829
09-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

AP NEWSWIRE, Chicago.

Is it possible to get a career writing fake AP reports? You're pretty damn good at it. :smile: Actually, well yeah, I guess it is. Just ask Jason Blair.

Jjav829
09-29-2003, 08:52 PM
No doubt Jerry is a great guy. But hes the kind of guy I would want babysitting my kids, not managing my baseball club.

TornLabrum
09-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
No doubt Jerry is a great guy. But hes the kind of guy I would want babysitting my kids, not managing my baseball club.

I don't know. I think he'd be great managing a little league club.

:jerry

"All right gang, who want's ice cream?"

:walnuts :hitless :bkoch:

"We do!"

doublem23
09-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

Post of the Week!

Daver
09-29-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Post of the Week!

I agree. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

Jjav829
09-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I agree. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

Wow, I've never had a POTW. Thanks. :smile: