PDA

View Full Version : Valentin question

soxtalker
09-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Did Jose make his target number of plate appearances to qualify for the $5M contract next year? (Plate appearances = at bats + sacrifices of all types + walks + hit by pitch??).

Also, if he did so, does it cost the Sox the full $5M or do they have a buy-out for $500K?

Daver
09-28-2003, 05:14 PM
There is no one on the Sox 40 man roster named Valentine.

soxtalker
09-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Daver
There is no one on the Sox 40 man roster named Valentine.

I guess that's a pretty big error, considering he's been at the core of the Sox for so long.

Now, I know how to edit individual postings, but not the title of a thread.

TornLabrum
09-28-2003, 05:30 PM
He did.

Daver
09-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I guess that's a pretty big error, considering he's been at the core of the Sox for so long.

Now, I know how to edit individual postings, but not the title of a thread.

I fixed it.

Just a pet peeve of mine,please do not take it personally,it was not meant as such.

To answer your question,without looking and off the top of my head I beleive he ended up short of his number of AB's.

voodoochile
09-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
He did.

I don't think he did. The Trib said he needed 573 plate appearances and official AB + BB fall short of that total.

soxtalker
09-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't think he did. The Trib said he needed 573 plate appearances and official AB + BB fall short of that total.

What about sacrifices (bunts and flies) and hit-by-pitches?

Daver
09-28-2003, 05:54 PM

All of those count as plate appearances.

voodoochile
09-28-2003, 05:58 PM

Jose's stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=4948)

According to that link, he has 565 total plate appearances.

soxtalker
09-28-2003, 06:04 PM
From the CBS Sportsline site for games through Friday:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/8141

If I'm interpreting their abreviations correctly,

2 sacrifice flies (SF)
7 sacrifice hits (SH)
3 hit by pitch (HBP)
53 BB
500 AB

So, not counting yesterday and today, that would have put him at 565 or 8 short of what he needed. Yesterday's large run production helped, as it looks like he had 6 appearances and today he had 3 -- one more than necessary.

OK, that answers my first question. What about the contract requirements for the team?

voodoochile
09-28-2003, 06:07 PM
From the CBS Sportsline site for games through Friday:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/8141

If I'm interpreting their abreviations correctly,

2 sacrifice flies (SF)
7 sacrifice hits (SH)
3 hit by pitch (HBP)
53 BB
500 AB

So, not counting yesterday and today, that would have put him at 565 or 8 short of what he needed. Yesterday's large run production helped, as it looks like he had 6 appearances and today he had 3 -- one more than necessary.

OK, that answers my first question. What about the contract requirements for the team?

So the Sox have to pay him $5M+ next season? Man, they shouldn't even let Manuel stay on with the team if that is the case. He should be fired with prejudice and they should have a public announcement detailing every crappy decision he ever made, IMO.

Thanks, Jerry - you jackass...

RichH55
09-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So the Sox have to pay him $5M+ next season? Man, they shouldn't even let Manuel stay on with the team if that is the case. He should be fired with prejudice and they should have a public announcement detailing every crappy decision he ever made, IMO.

Thanks, Jerry - you jackass...

If Jose is due 5 million next year, we are in trouble

Daver
09-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
If Jose is due 5 million next year, we are in trouble

Yeah,the minor league system is stacked with guys ready to play SS at this level.

RichH55
09-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Yeah,the minor league system is stacked with guys ready to play SS at this level.

Has nothing to do with the minor league system Daver.

I have been a strong proponent of Jose for a long time here (I think have most posts are pro-Jose over the Choice), and I like what he brings.

BUT, with our budget constraints(even if we do raise payroll), Jose at 5 million is terrible. He will be overpaid and underproducing and we already have Konerko and Koch to do that.

Do you think we can't find a better option on the FA market than Jose for 5 million? Hell you could take a run at Orlando Cabrera, it would cost talent, but it would help the team more

Daver
09-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Has nothing to do with the minor league system Daver.

I have been a strong proponent of Jose for a long time here (I think have most posts are pro-Jose over the Choice), and I like what he brings.

BUT, with our budget constraints(even if we do raise payroll), Jose at 5 million is terrible. He will be overpaid and underproducing and we already have Konerko and Koch to do that.

Do you think we can't find a better option on the FA market than Jose for 5 million? Hell you could take a run at Orlando Cabrera, it would cost talent, but it would help the team more

He did not reach the incentive for his extension to be guaranteed,therefore he will be a FA,and can be signed before the arbitration deadline for whatever his agent and the Sox agree on,which would be considerably less than 5 mil based on what the projections of the FA market are going to be.

I would have no problem to him signing for two years at 2 mil per,and then having Valido ready to fight for the position in ST.

duke of dorwood
09-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Fortunately, he really improved defensively this year. BUT, he's got to can the batting right handed.

soxtalker
09-28-2003, 07:21 PM
He did not reach the incentive for his extension to be guaranteed,therefore he will be a FA,and can be signed before the arbitration deadline for whatever his agent and the Sox agree on,which would be considerably less than 5 mil based on what the projections of the FA market are going to be.

I would have no problem to him signing for two years at 2 mil per,and then having Valido ready to fight for the position in ST.

Daver,

Why do you say that he did NOT reach the incentive. See my post above where I took Friday's numbers and added in those for the past two days. I think that he made it by one extra. What am I missing??

On the contract, if he did indeed reach the incentive target, I think that there may be a $500K buy-out clause, which would allow a scenario like the one you suggested to unfold.

Daver
09-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Daver,

Why do you say that he did NOT reach the incentive. See my post above where I took Friday's numbers and added in those for the past two days. I think that he made it by one extra. What am I missing??

On the contract, if he did indeed reach the incentive target, I think that there may be a $500K buy-out clause, which would allow a scenario like the one you suggested to unfold.

He needed 14 plate appearances at the start of yesterday's game,he got six yesterday and four today.

Unless my math is off,which is quite possible,it is not my strong suit.

Hell,nothing is my strong suit........