PDA

View Full Version : Offseason order of biz. Sign Colon. SIGN KAZ

Hangar18
09-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Kaz Matsui. A slick fielding, excellent SS with a Connect-the-dots Marketing Campaign Built In. Marketing.....If it can make Fools Love a Loser, why Not Make it Love a Winner? GO SOX.
To see my thoughts on Kaz, see CLarkdogs "76,000,000"
Thread

MRKARNO
09-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Kenny Williams manages to make things happen one way or the other, but if we got both of these players, nothing you could tell me would convince me that the Sox wont make the playoffs (along with TLR)

Lip Man 1
09-28-2003, 06:10 PM
I can absolutely, positively, guarantee you the Sox don't have a snowball's chance in hell of signing him.

If he comes to the U.S. (remember he has two small children) he'll play for a West Coast team.

I'm betting he winds up in Seattle.

Lip

DrCrawdad
09-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Kaz Matsui. A slick fielding, excellent SS with a Connect-the-dots Marketing Campaign Built In. Marketing.....If it can make Fools Love a Loser, why Not Make it Love a Winner? GO SOX.
Thread

I love this idea. I've been thinking about how the Sox should sign a good Japanese ballplayer since seeing the number of Japanese who've attended games when Ichiro and Hideki Matsui have come to town.

From what I've observed the Sox are quite popular with Mexicans. Loaiza's success can't hurt that market. The Sox though could help themselves in Chicago's large Japanese community by bringing in a good, big name Japanese ballplayer.

This idea probably makes too much sense and the Sox are too shortsighted to do something like this. They'll leave it up to the Cubbies to bring in a good Japanese ballplayer. Then the Cubbies will have a stranglehold on that market too.

http://www.theodora.com/flags/new9/japan-s.gif

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-28-2003, 06:30 PM
i thought of this idea too when i heard he was going to be an fa, but didn't the mariners have to spend like $10,000,000 a few years ago just to TALK to ichiro and kaz matsui? i'd imagine it'd be the same this time and i doubt jerry is willing to cough up that kind of $$

voodoochile
09-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
i thought of this idea too when i heard he was going to be an fa, but didn't the mariners have to spend like $10,000,000 a few years ago just to TALK to ichiro and kaz matsui? i'd imagine it'd be the same this time and i doubt jerry is willing to cough up that kind of $$

That money was eventually put toward his contract. It was about showing you were serious about signing him, not about reaping a windfall for the privledge to negotiate.

MRKARNO
09-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That money was eventually put toward his contract. It was about showing you were serious about signing him, not about reaping a windfall for the privledge to negotiate.

thank you for clarifying this

RichH55
09-28-2003, 07:33 PM
There is also a 2B supposed to be coming over from Japan.....Not as high profile, and not as costly.....not a bad player either....that could make sense as well

MRKARNO
09-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
There is also a 2B supposed to be coming over from Japan.....Not as high profile, and not as costly.....not a bad player either....that could make sense as well

Well that doesnt help fill the glaring need for an SS now does it?

doublem23
09-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well that doesnt help fill the glaring need for an SS now does it?

Um, there's a glaring need for a second baseman, too.

xil357
09-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Thread

Hangar, this post displays true ingenuity on two, nay, three levels.

1. Solves the SS hole.

2. Fixes the "Japanese Tourist" problem the Sox have suffered at the hands of the cash-chasing Cub-friendly media.

3. THE SOX HAVE FOUND THEIR MARKETING SLOGAN!!!

Marketing.....If it can make Fools Love a Loser, why Not Make it Love a Winner?

It pokes fun at the lemming mentality of the media and most fans.

It pokes fun at the Cubs, who almost certainly will exit the postseason prior to achieving glory.

It pokes fun at themselves for having crappy marketing in the past.

If that is too esoteric, on the day the Cubs are eliminated, declare intra-city war and simplify it to:

"Fools love the lovable losers, real fans deserve a winner"

and back it up with a proven MLB manager, some strong free agent signings and a monster start out of the gate in 04.

MRKARNO
09-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Well it seems we are STILL weak up the middle. CF, 2b, SS, and C all need to somehow be resolved. I think Olivo will be mediocre hitting wise next season, which is all we need. Robbie will be back next year most likely and I think we owe Aaron Miles a shot at second. CF I think we can get a cheap FA or revert to the evil Harris/Rowand/Borchard platoon again, which I'd love to avoid. SS I think Jose will be back for cheap. Still this means we're weak up the middle unless KW surprises us but this offseason I'd be shocked in Kenny didnt concentrate most of his money and trades on Pitching and Defense.

doublem23
09-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Well it seems we are STILL weak up the middle. CF, 2b, SS, and C all need to somehow be resolved. I think Olivo will be mediocre hitting wise next season, which is all we need. Robbie will be back next year most likely and I think we owe Aaron Miles a shot at second. CF I think we can get a cheap FA or revert to the evil Harris/Rowand/Borchard platoon again, which I'd love to avoid. SS I think Jose will be back for cheap. Still this means we're weak up the middle unless KW surprises us but this offseason I'd be shocked in Kenny didnt concentrate most of his money and trades on Pitching and Defense.

Ah, I'd still be pleased with Olivo if he hit around .240-.250 but kept his arm in shape. As long as you hit around .200 with an arm like his, I'll be OK as the primary catcher. We do need a backup/platoon catcher with Miggy, I'll agree to that.

Why do we owe Aaron Miles anything? I think the fact that we still employ him is enough thanks.

We'll see... As long as we can avoid starting Aaron Miles and Willie Harris, I won't bitch too much. :smile:

RichH55
09-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

Thank you for the defense:)

jabrch
09-29-2003, 09:46 AM
I think we owe Aaron Miles a shot at second.

I could think of several places to shoot Aaron Miles - none of them involve 2B.

Hokiesox
09-29-2003, 09:54 AM
nothing you could tell me would convince me that the Sox wont make the playoffs (along with TLR)

The Twins won't be contracted? Neither will the Royals?

I hate to say it, but they've been a thorn in our sides for 3 years running. No indication they're going away anytime soon. The royals will just get better, if they can improve the rotation. Young teams with GOOD managing will make the AL central interesting for years to come.

Hangar18
09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I love this idea. I've been thinking about how the Sox should sign a good Japanese ballplayer since seeing the number of Japanese who've attended games when Ichiro and Hideki Matsui have come to town.
This idea probably makes too much sense and the Sox are too shortsighted to do something like this. They'll leave it up to the Cubbies to bring in a good Japanese ballplayer. Then the Cubbies will have a stranglehold on that market too.

http://www.theodora.com/flags/new9/japan-s.gif

YEah, makes TOO MUCH SENSE, but I think things are changing as far as the Mindset on the southside. think about it.....we went out and filled some holes when we normally wouldve IGNORED them. I think they will make a RUN for this.