PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest 2004?

HITMEN OF 77
09-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Thinking about coming back to Chicago for Soxfest this next year. I have never been, so could anyone tell me what goes on, do you need tickets, what you get etc etc....

TornLabrum
09-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Lots of autograph sessions: only a certain number of fans allowed last year prevented a lot of disappointed fans. Seminars with players and broadcasters. Usually several former players, including the usual suspects (those employed now by the Sox). Lots of merchandise.

And the best part: The Windy City Sox Fans' World Famous Pencil Pull.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Sox Fest is also the annual ritual where one of the players says something incredibly stupid about the Twins and seven months later finds that the Twins have shoved a bat up the Sox' collective rear ends.

Lip

voodoochile
09-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sox Fest is also the annual ritual where one of the players says something incredibly stupid about the Twins and seven months later finds that the Twins have shoved a bat up the Sox' collective rear ends.

Lip

:whiner:

More astute predictions from Lip...

Brian26
09-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Soxfest is a good time. The best part is that it comes in the dead of winter so you get a nice dose of baseball to hold you over until spring training starts. The seminars are fun because you get to hear people like Hawk and Hemond tell old war stories. Tickets are usually 10 bucks a day or a 3-day weekend pass for 15. Autographs are fairly easy to come by, although bigger names like Mags and Frank might require a 2 or 3 hr wait. Younger guys or bums like Josh Paul can be had in a few minutes. There are tons of tables with cards and bats and memorabilia. Even if you don't buy anything, it's fun to look at. The Sox usually have some old bats and jerseys for sale, too. There are tons of concessions, but your best bet is to hit one of the restaurants around the hotel.

ewokpelts
09-29-2003, 12:36 AM
but where else can we get churros?

ewokpelts
09-29-2003, 12:42 AM
Soxfest tickets are $15 per day, $30 for a weekend pass(3day). Sox season ticket holders can get a discount on Soxfest tix, and if you reserve a room at the hotel (usually 225 for two nights), you get soxfest tickets free(4 passes i think). The hotel package also includes four tickets to a 2004 game.

I recommend going to Soxfest. Plenty of fun stuff to do, but I'd recommend against waiting in line for autographs. You'll miss out on the seminars, and some players have signed stuff at the garage sale.

Merchandise is usually discounted. Expect plenty of ASG stuff for dirt cheap, including the authentic line jerseys(which were already discounted at the park).
Gene

Brian26
09-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
I recommend going to Soxfest. Plenty of fun stuff to do, but I'd recommend against waiting in line for autographs. You'll miss out on the seminars, and some players have signed stuff at the garage sale. Gene

Eh. Standing in line is a pain in the ass, but it's more like a badge of honor if you can tough it out and actually get a autograph in person. That autograph automatically becomes more sentimental and meaningful to you. Plus, you remove any doubt in your own mind on whether it's authentic or not.

The seminars are fantastic. But, you can easily get autographs and see all of the seminars if you go 2 of the 3 days or get the weekend pass. Just check the schedule and strategically plan your day. Most of the seminars are repeated 2 or 3 times. There's no reason to see multiple versions of the same seminar. You can only hear so many Hawk- Yaz love stories before you get tired.

HITMEN OF 77
09-29-2003, 05:08 PM
What hotel is this at again? I think I will book reservations and a flight tomorrow, sounds like too much fun to miss!!

hose
09-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
What hotel is this at again? I think I will book reservations and a flight tomorrow, sounds like too much fun to miss!!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/community/index.jsp?program=upcoming

steff
09-29-2003, 06:31 PM
And don't forget there is a gathering in the bar after..

Hal gets reeeeaaallyyy drunk :D:

JohnJeter
09-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by steff

Beat me to it! I was going to add "at Soxfest, you get a lot of drinking". At least for the World Crossing board folks.

hose
09-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by steff

I am going to make it to the bar this year, looking forward to seeing Hangar, Steff, and Hal for starters.

Dan1972
09-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Standing in line is a pain in the ass, but it's more like a badge of honor if you can tough it out and actually get a autograph in person. That autograph automatically becomes more sentimental and meaningful to you.

Yeah. Like during this season while Konerko was batting.....I waited three hours for *his* autograph ?!

TornLabrum
09-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77

Here are a couple of things of note: they usually don't start taking reservations at the convention rate until November, so hold off on making that booking!

Second, book through the Hyatt Regency Chicago. Do not book through Hyatt's national reservations. They have no clue as to special rates.