PDA

View Full Version : That's supposed to be our celebration:


ChiSox14305635
09-27-2003, 07:44 PM
It's been 4 years since I was able to see the Sox go that crazy, 11 years since they did it at home. Say what you will about them, they got it done when they had to. I need a drink. :(:

Hangar18
09-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Sure, they beat a AA team down the stretch, then played a AAA team to clinch. Hardly what I call winning baseball. If Pittsburgh doesnt Give Away their players to the cubs for absolutely nothing, they dont win this division. Book that. :angry: Nice Job laying down Pirates....dumbasses

ChiSox14305635
09-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Doesn't matter. They're in the playoffs, we're not. :whiner:

Bucktown
09-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Sure, they beat a AA team down the stretch, then played a AAA team to clinch. Hardly what I call winning baseball. If Pittsburgh doesnt Give Away their players to the cubs for absolutely nothing, they dont win this division. Book that. :angry: Nice Job laying down Pirates....dumbasses
It would be had for me to be critical. My team was swept by the Tigers, TWICE.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
It would be had for me to be critical. My team was swept by the Tigers, TWICE.

I'll say one nice thing about Manuel as manager: after getting swept 3 straight his rookie year (1998), he ALWAYS made sure his Sox were up for the Cubs games. Taking that lousy season series is all I can salvage from the wreckage of this season. Whoever replaces Manuel must be taught immediately that the Cubs games are to be played like the World Series.

But getting swept by Detroit... man that's just inexcusable.

Viva Magglio
09-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Whoever replaces Manuel must be taught immediately that the Cubs games are to be played like the World Series.

If we hire TLR, that won't be a problem. He hates Baker's guts, and the feeling is mutual.

Corkinator
09-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
If we hire TRL, that won't be a problem. He hates Baker's guts, and the feeling is mutual.

Another reason to hire Tony L

Mammoo
09-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Say what you will about them, they got it done when they had to. I need a drink. :(:

That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched the celebration. In fact, the longer the celebration went on, the more pissed I got at the White Sox!! :angry:

I was thinking that Lloyd McClendon should have made his young Pirates sit on the bench and watch the celebration to show them what they are playing for.

Then I thought, I hope Ken Williams forces his band of underachievers to watch a tape of the whole thing to show them what they pissed away!!!

Lip Man 1
09-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Ummm...Hanger just remember that other clubs with worse records then the Cubs at the time could have claimed those same players.

They didn't...the Cubs did and spent the money needed to win. What a radical idea!!!

Lip

woodenleg
09-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Corkinator
Another reason to hire Tony L

Ha ha. I like Dusty, but right now I'm feeling like, screw em. Screw all other teams and all of their fans. Screw Kenny Lofton who grew up ten miles away from me. I don't care anymore. I'm ready to sell my heart and soul for payback.

:angry:

This is WAR! Everyone will pay for 84 years of scorn and all the other crap the south side has endured! I hope some day that we're the most hated team in baseball. Better to be hated than to be ignored.

QueerGirrl
09-27-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched the celebration. In fact, the longer the celebration went on, the more pissed I got at the White Sox!! :angry:

I was thinking that Lloyd McClendon should have made his young Pirates sit on the bench and watch the celebration to show them what they are playing for.

Then I thought, I hope Ken Williams forces his band of underachievers to watch a tape of the whole thing to show them what they pissed away!!!

Mammoo,

I feel the exact same way. I'm very angry at the sox right now because just like the Flubs, our destiny was in our own hands and unlike those stupid Flubs, we tanked!!!!! :angry:

Bucktown
09-27-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ummm...Hanger just remember that other clubs with worse records then the Cubs at the time could have claimed those same players.

They didn't...the Cubs did and spent the money needed to win. What a radical idea!!!

Lip
Where did the Cubs spend the money? I don't see any Cubs acqusitions that were any more agressive than the Sox. Did Kenny Lofton make the difference? Should we have kept him?

It seems like the best players on that team came up through the Farm.

As much as this board complained about the press anointing Prior prior to acheiving anything (pun intended) it turns out that it may have been deserved.

Brian26
09-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
It's been 4 years since I was able to see the Sox go that crazy, 11 years since they did it at home. Say what you will about them, they got it done when they had to. I need a drink. :(:

I think you meant 3 years and 10 years, respectively. That's ok, though. Have another drink for us all.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2003, 12:30 AM
The Cubs spent the money by picking up eight or nine veterans from the past off season either paying their salary totally or at least patrially. Their payroll is now near 90 million dollars . It was about 75 million last season when they lost 95 games.

They made moves when the Astros and Cards wouldn't, they had the brains to go after it when they had the chance.

Funny everybody stopped saying guys like Ramirez, Womack and Lofton were over the hill when they started winning games for the Cubs.

Yes the Sox did great work in acquiring their four players...maybe they need six, or eight to get the job done.

The fact is they didn't raise their payroll enough to get the job done in the weakest division in baseball and I'm ashamed to say that.

Lip

Brian26
09-28-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The fact is they didn't raise their payroll enough to get the job done in the weakest division in baseball and I'm ashamed to say that.

Lip

Hmm. Hard to complain about KW in any way...even saying he didn't do enough. The pieces were in place, and the payroll was fine. Certain guys just didn't show up to play in Detroit, Tampa, & Cleveland in July and Minnesota in September.

DonkeyKongerko
09-28-2003, 04:03 AM
Sometimes a GM is good and sometimes you get lucky. I think we got lucky with Esteban Loaiza. The Cubs got lucky with Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek while simultaneously getting rid of Hundlel.

jabrch
09-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Sure, they beat a AA team down the stretch, then played a AAA team to clinch. Hardly what I call winning baseball. If Pittsburgh doesnt Give Away their players to the cubs for absolutely nothing, they dont win this division. Book that. :angry: Nice Job laying down Pirates....dumbasses

We played our AA and AAA teams earlier in the season...and lost to them.

woodenleg
09-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Update - Cub fans were chanting "south side sucks" outside Wrigley. Probably a bunch of Michigan grads who wouldn't dare set foot down here.

And in 2000, they claimed they were above this. Hell, in a letter to the editor yesterday, some guy was saying we had a bad attitude.

They do all of the same crap Sox fans do, but we get the stigma.

I think we have to just try to be better than them. I know it sucks, and I know the bandwagoners and faux Cub fans suck, but we just can't keep whining.

We have a better team and that's that. And that's why it hurts.

It's only a division - we've been there before.

harwar
09-28-2003, 12:26 PM
What worries me is the cubs going to the World Series.I think it could happen if their bullpen is good and they keep hitting.The braves pitching & defense has become a joke and i still can't figure out how the giants keep winning.All i can say right now is GO MARLINS!!!
What if the cubs go all the way this year?How many borderline Sox fans will go over to the the other side because its trendy & fun to follow "the cubbies".I just feel much trepidation about our future.I will just be glad when this is all over and spring training is just around the corner.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Brian:

I'm not attacking you...please understand that but obviously the pieces were not all in place.

The pitching staff blew ten games where they had the lead after the 7th inning (primarilly caused by the bullpen), the 5th starter was a black hole, so was catcher.

Yes they could have won with what they had but perhaps to overcome the field manager they needed even more pieces, obviously they had holes.

Lip

doublem23
09-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hmm. Hard to complain about KW in any way...even saying he didn't do enough. The pieces were in place, and the payroll was fine. Certain guys just didn't show up to play in Detroit, Tampa, & Cleveland in July and Minnesota in September.

Don't mind Lip... He loves it when the Sox lose because it proves him right.

Grobber33
09-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Sure, they beat a AA team down the stretch, then played a AAA team to clinch. Hardly what I call winning baseball. If Pittsburgh doesnt Give Away their players to the cubs for absolutely nothing, they dont win this division. Book that. :angry: Nice Job laying down Pirates....dumbasses

What are you complaining about? The Sox got Robbie Alomar and Carl Evertt--both who played well here,and the Mets and Rangers paid just about all of their salaries. Had the Sox won their Division,those 2 would have been the major reasons,and I'll bet you would'nt complain about that. Also,Pittsburgh has had the highest NL batting average since they traded those guys so unless you think Josh Fogg and Kip Wells are AAA players,your complaint is pointless.
Are you just upset the Sox last celebration came in Minnesota on a day they lost?

Grobber33
09-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
Update - Cub fans were chanting "south side sucks" outside Wrigley. Probably a bunch of Michigan grads who wouldn't dare set foot down here.

And in 2000, they claimed they were above this. Hell, in a letter to the editor yesterday, some guy was saying we had a bad attitude.

They do all of the same crap Sox fans do, but we get the stigma.

I think we have to just try to be better than them. I know it sucks, and I know the bandwagoners and faux Cub fans suck, but we just can't keep whining.

We have a better team and that's that. And that's why it hurts.

It's only a division - we've been there before.

After the way you guys booed the Cubs(Wood,Prior and Dusty)at the Allstar Game, can you blame the Cub Fans for returning fire?
You think you have the better team. Actually,all year I THOUGHT you had the better team,but come Tusday Night,the Cubs will still be playing-not the Sox. And dont even go there to the 'we beat the Cubs 4 of 6 stuff',because in 2000,the Cubs and Sox split their 6 games.Did that make the Cubs just as good as the Sox that year??? Of course not. Got to give you this,,,,you guys ARE the CITY CHAMPS, but the Cubs are in the Playoffs. It's the Sox own fault. They had it right there and wet the bed in Minn.

Viva Magglio
09-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
After the way you guys booed the Cubs(Wood,Prior and Dusty)at the Allstar Game, can you blame the Cub Fans for returning fire?
You think you have the better team. Actually,all year I THOUGHT you had the better team,but come Tusday Night,the Cubs will still be playing-not the Sox. And dont even go there to the 'we beat the Cubs 4 of 6 stuff',because in 2000,the Cubs and Sox split their 6 games.Did that make the Cubs just as good as the Sox that year??? Of course not. Got to give you this,,,,you guys ARE the CITY CHAMPS, but the Cubs are in the Playoffs. It's the Sox own fault. They had it right there and wet the bed in Minn.

With apologies to Doc, I cannot dispute everything Les said here. We indeed screwed the pooch up in Minny. And I said last night that I would choose the playoffs over winning the city series. As for the fan militancy, I don't think Sox fans booing Prior, Wood, and Baker at the ASG prompted Cub fans to return fire last night. They would have done that regardless. Many Cub fans have hated our guts forever. But I will point out that Les does not hate us, contrary to popular opinion. He may be a Cub fan, but he's not a Sox hater.

It seems that we always get criticized for our anti-Cubs militancy, but Cub fans for the most part get a free pass for their anti-Sox militancy. We get ripped for the "CORK" and "CUBS SUCK" shirts, but they hardly ever catch any grief for "3 CHICAGO DISASTERS: THE FIRE, THE FLOOD, AND THE SOX" and "SOX SUCK" shirts. For the record, I never wear shirts like that. Instead of "CUBS SUCK," I choose to wear apparel with MY team's name on it. Sure, it could be argued that we're more anti-Cubs than they are anti-Sox, but it is clear that we are held to a higher scrutiny of conduct than they are.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Double says: "Don't mind Lip... He loves it when the Sox lose because it proves him right."

In that case Double looks like I was "right" again this year too! I said 85 wins, 2nd place. They ended with 86.

Reality friends...not fantasy.

Double now you can go back to doing your "serious" things like counting the number of strikeouts Sammy Sosa has. Hey you can even cheat and count the ones he gets starting Tuesday night!

Have fun...

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Mea Culpa...

According to the official preseason prediction thread, I had the Sox down for 88 wins. I thought I had said 85.

Still close but no cigar.

Lip