PDA

View Full Version : The new Manager will be an indicator

cornball
09-26-2003, 09:29 PM
If the Sox new manager is someone from the minors with no MLB experience, it will be sign management may not be looking to make a run next year.

If an established manager like La Russa is hired it would be an indicator of the opposite. I say this as someone who did not like Tony last time he was here as our manager, but he has won.

RichH55
09-27-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by cornball
If the Sox new manager is someone from the minors with no MLB experience, it will be sign management may not be looking to make a run next year.

If an established manager like La Russa is hired it would be an indicator of the opposite. I say this as someone who did not like Tony last time he was here as our manager, but he has won.

Or you could interpret it a couple of different ways.....THe Diamondbacks went with Brenley(No expierence) and won...>The Rangers went with a ton of expierence and lost badly

fquaye149
09-27-2003, 11:22 AM
i think what he's saying is it will indicate the management's committment to winning

BeerHandle
09-27-2003, 11:29 AM
It looks LaRussa is out in St. Louis. I would love to see him back for a second term!

RichH55
09-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i think what he's saying is it will indicate the management's committment to winning

Oh I knew what he was saying....just pointing out that a team like Arizona had a committment to winning and went with inexpierence at Manager....I think the starting rotation will mean alot more than the manager in terms of determining our committment

TDog
09-27-2003, 02:54 PM
When Harry Caray was near the end of his White Sox employment, he was blasting the team, frequently, for hiring Tony LaRussa, saying that the only reason LaRussa got the job was that it didn't cost much to promote him from the minors.

The manager LaRussa replaced was even a cheaper proposition. Don Kessinger was already the Sox shortstop. LaRussa proved either a more inspired choice or a fluke hiring. He didn't have a very good team for a few years, but he proved there are some good managers out there that you never heard of.

Obviously, finding a new manager will be complicated. The Sox will have to find someone who will be good for the team while not alienating fans who may be looking for someone else.

Daver
09-27-2003, 06:18 PM
If they hire Tony Larussa I may become a Twins fan.

voodoochile
09-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Daver
If they hire Tony Larussa I may become a Twins fan.

Just curious, but why?

JRIG
09-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just curious, but why?

If you thought Jerry was a tinkerer, wait til you get a load of LaRussa. He's the guy that kept Craig Pauqette in the league for years for no particular reason. He's given paychecks to Tony Fossas and Jeff Fassero long after their expiration dates. And he's in love with guys who can play multiple positions even if they can't hit or field.

Daver
09-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
If you thought Jerry was a tinkerer, wait til you get a load of LaRussa. He's the guy that kept Craig Pauqette in the league for years for no particular reason. He's given paychecks to Tony Fossas and Jeff Fassero long after their expiration dates. And he's in love with guys who can play multiple positions even if they can't hit or field.

What he said,along with the fact that he is a pitching staff's worst nightmare.