PDA

View Full Version : White Sox would never pull that stunt


BackInBlack
09-26-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm sitting here in New York, and my best buddy back in Chicago called me up from Wrigley Field all up in arms. Apparently, the tickets to today's game have no value for the scheduled make-up game tomorrow. He said people paid $150 to sit in the upper deck, and now their tickets are worthless for the remainder of the season. People will be forced to purchase new tickets for tomorrow's make-up game.

Great example of the games the organization plays up there on the North Side. Another one of my friends planned his bachelor's party around the game at Wrigley today. That was ruined, so this should go down as one of the biggest flubs in Flub history. If I had season tickets, I would cancel immediately, and I fully expect to see this printed as the lead story in tomorrow's paper.

Thank god we have a class organization down on the South Side.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm not all that sure why they're not doing a day/night double-header, and just moving the 3pm game back to 6 or 7.

It's either because of the threat of rain in the evening tomorrow or because of MLB or TV-network decisions.

It's a hard spot to be in, for sure. But man, if I paid scalpers' price for today's game, I'd be pretty freaking steamed.

ode to veeck
09-26-2003, 07:34 PM
BS, the only reason Uncle Jerry never pulled that stunt was he didn't think of it first---don't you remember how we got screwed in the 50th all-star game years back --or what about the BS premium and ticket package only pricing for sox flubs games

BackInBlack
09-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Hey Ode, what would your boy Bill Veeck do?

Interestingly enough, here at the workplace, we hold a morning meeting every Monday. On two occasions, my boss (who was born, raised & schooled in NY not Chicago) used the genius of Bill Veeck to inspire us troops in attempts of triggering greater production.

Mr. Veeck contributed mightily to the intriguing history of our beloved, and that's a big reason why I've permanently converted from BEING A CUBS FAN TO SOUTH SIDE SUPERSTAR! :D:

BackInBlack
09-26-2003, 08:02 PM
And good gracious, Ode. How, after 800+ posts, are you not the proud owner of a quality signature file. Billy would be disappointed in ya. ;-)

ewokpelts
09-26-2003, 08:16 PM
what happened in 83?

BackInBlack
09-26-2003, 08:37 PM
"what happened in 83?"

I dunno, Breakfast Club was released? Quit teasing and spill the beans. Unless you feel it'd be unappropriate on this forum. If it'll give the enemy dirt to throw back in our face, you might as well keep it to yourself.

ode to veeck
09-27-2003, 12:06 AM
Hey Ode, what would your boy Bill Veeck do?

He probably would've let Sox fans attend the remaining home games for free after the implosion in twinkie land, and then let the fans vote from the stands as to whether Manos should bat right handed or graf should play ... or whether JM should run a lap for every different lineup he used this year

I don have tiem to run spee chk, how the heck do iget time to do a cool sig ;-)

back to photoshoip ... to work on my bill veeck yago sangria memorial seat cushion night sig

RichH55
09-27-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
I'm sitting here in New York, and my best buddy back in Chicago called me up from Wrigley Field all up in arms. Apparently, the tickets to today's game have no value for the scheduled make-up game tomorrow. He said people paid $150 to sit in the upper deck, and now their tickets are worthless for the remainder of the season. People will be forced to purchase new tickets for tomorrow's make-up game.

Great example of the games the organization plays up there on the North Side. Another one of my friends planned his bachelor's party around the game at Wrigley today. That was ruined, so this should go down as one of the biggest flubs in Flub history. If I had season tickets, I would cancel immediately, and I fully expect to see this printed as the lead story in tomorrow's paper.

Thank god we have a class organization down on the South Side.

Not even the worst ticket scam by the Cubs this year

Dan H
09-27-2003, 05:47 AM
I have one question: Why is someone paying $150 for upper deck seats for a regular season game? And don't any Cubs fans read the papers or even hear about it? The Tribune Company has been scamming them all year in many ways.

I cannot stand the Cub myth but if a fan pays through the nose from a scalper, that fan is taking is taking a chance whether he buys it in the street or from the Cubs. There are reasons the Cubs are in a bind here.

I have bought tickets in the street on two occasions and both times were for playoff games. One time I paid $20 for a $15 ticket (1983) and $60 for a a $30 seat (1993). There is no way I would shell out the kind of money that Cubs fans have. I don't want to see the game that bad.

In reality, fans can dictate scalper prices. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. I had little sympathy for Cub fans yesterday.(Not that I ever do.)

voodoochile
09-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
He probably would've let Sox fans attend the remaining home games for free after the implosion in twinkie land, and then let the fans vote from the stands as to whether Manos should bat right handed or graf should play ... or whether JM should run a lap for every different lineup he used this year

I don have tiem to run spee chk, how the heck do iget time to do a cool sig ;-)

back to photoshoip ... to work on my bill veeck yago sangria memorial seat cushion night sig

Installing a signature (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17383)

Questions about board features (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17384)

Hangar18
09-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
I'm sitting here in New York, and my best buddy back in Chicago called me up from Wrigley Field all up in arms. Apparently, the tickets to today's game have no value for the scheduled make-up game tomorrow. He said people paid $150 to sit in the upper deck, and now their tickets are worthless for the remainder of the season. People will be forced to purchase new tickets for tomorrow's make-up game.

Great example of the games the organization plays up there on the North Side. Another one of my friends planned his bachelor's party around the game at Wrigley today. That was ruined, so this should go down as one of the biggest flubs in Flub history. If I had season tickets, I would cancel immediately, and I fully expect to see this printed as the lead story in tomorrow's paper.

Thank god we have a class organization down on the South Side.

Say, im not one to DEFEND the cubs, but it wasnt their Fault GOD MADE IT RAIN. THEY DID THE RIGHT THING. Theres no way they could play a day/nite doubleheader, just to appease fans and have a DrinkFest. Instead of blaming the cubs, LAUGH LOUDLY at your buddy for being so STUPID to pay $150 for ud tickets. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, stupid cub fans.

Dadawg_77
09-27-2003, 03:45 PM
You are mistake that Cubs resold the tickets for today's game. The people who bought tickets for todays game get to see both games for the price of one. So one group of fans get screwed but one group benefit.

JohnJeter
09-27-2003, 03:52 PM
The Cubs have used up their quota of night games, by city ordinance. Threat of rain also a factor, day/nighter logistics were not something they could handle on short notice. They almost had a problem with the Cards twinbill and that was scheduled well in advance. They didn't have a lot of options. This move also cost them an attendance record and something like a million bucks (not counting scalping revenue).

kittle42
09-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
GOD MADE IT RAIN.
There is no such thing.

voodoochile
09-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You are mistake that Cubs resold the tickets for today's game. The people who bought tickets for todays game get to see both games for the price of one. So one group of fans get screwed but one group benefit.

What benefit? Haven't these games been sold out for a long time?

Maybe a few hundred extra SRO tickets, but that's teh way the cookie crumbles.

Dadawg_77
09-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What benefit? Haven't these games been sold out for a long time?

Maybe a few hundred extra SRO tickets, but that's teh way the cookie crumbles.

The fans who bought todays game, get to see yesterday's game and today's game for teh price of one. That to me is a benefit to one group of fans.

MRKARNO
09-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Just As long as some cubs fans were being screwed

voodoochile
09-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The fans who bought todays game, get to see yesterday's game and today's game for teh price of one. That to me is a benefit to one group of fans.

Yeah, but it wasn't planned that way and they can't do anything about it.

Lucky fans get to watch the flubbies clinch the division.

woodenleg
09-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
He probably would've let Sox fans attend the remaining home games for free after the implosion in twinkie land, and then let the fans vote from the stands as to whether Manos should bat right handed or graf should play ... or whether JM should run a lap for every different lineup he used this year

I don have tiem to run spee chk, how the heck do iget time to do a cool sig ;-)

back to photoshoip ... to work on my bill veeck yago sangria memorial seat cushion night sig

They'd get to sit on the roof, of course! Oh wait ....

And they'd even let the stupid goat in.