PDA

View Full Version : Flub game cancelled

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 03:51 PM
You know what that means, with the Cubs game and our game later being on Fox Sports Net. The Cubs will overlap our game, and we'll score a million runs off of KC during the overlap.

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 03:52 PM
...not that it really matters :(:

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 03:54 PM
This rain delay could work against the Cubs. Prior is a fanatic about preparation. This could throw off his rhythm.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 03:55 PM
I thought the Savior was pitching tomorrow?

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
You know what that means, with the Cubs game and our game later being on Fox Sports Net. The Cubs will overlap our game, and we'll score a million runs off of KC during the overlap.

WooHoo... The Sox are going to score a millions runs... :D:

I wonder how long the flubbies will hold it before calling it. I imagine a long time. This might go on until tonight. I know they don't want to play a DH one of the next two days...

jabrch
09-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
WooHoo... The Sox are going to score a millions runs... :D:

I wonder how long the flubbies will hold it before calling it. I imagine a long time. This might go on until tonight. I know they don't want to play a DH one of the next two days...

They really don't want to mess with their rotation. Right now, Estes would pitch a 1 game playoff if it happened and Zambrano would pitch game 1 of the NLCS. If this game gets washed out today, they will have to either pitch Cruz in the playoffs, or pitch Prior on short rest. Maybe the baseball gods do smile on us every now and then?

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
They really don't want to mess with their rotation. Right now, Estes would pitch a 1 game playoff if it happened and Zambrano would pitch game 1 of the NLCS. If this game gets washed out today, they will have to either pitch Cruz in the playoffs, or pitch Prior on short rest. Maybe the baseball gods do smile on us every now and then?

There is NO chance that Estes will get that start on Monday, or Baker might as well just quit. Zambrano will start it on 3 days rest if necessary, IMO. He has an ERA under 1.00 against the Astros this year and there was talk about him starting a playoff instead of Prior if they were both available.

There would be a revolt of the flubbie faithful if Estes gets that start...

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 04:12 PM
You just know that either way, the Moron has his column ready for tomorrow:

1. Flubs win:

"And the unstoppable, studly Priority Mail delivered yet again, despite a potentially disastrous X-hour rain delay that threatened the Cubbies' magical-Dusty season..."

2. Flubs lose:

"And the Cubs' sorry history of jinxes, black cats, improbable chokes has swallowed up even the most studliest of pitchers, Priority Mail, who seemed more like Parcel Post on a soggy Friday afternoon at the Shrine on Addison..."

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 04:31 PM
At least twice, FSN has shown a "Magical Sox Moment" during the commericals of what Hawk calls "alternative programming." The one that has been shown twice so far is Carlos Lee's walk-off salami off Courtney Duncan in 2001. I am quite sure this is warm and fuzzy thing for all the Cub fans waiting out the rain delay to see.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 04:33 PM
At least twice, FSN has shown a "Magical Sox Moment" during the commericals of what Hawk calls "alternative programming." The one that has been shown twice so far is Carlos Lee's walk-off salami off Courtney Duncan in 2001. I am quite sure this is warm and fuzzy thing for all the Cub fans waiting out the rain delay to see.

I have a question about Grand Slams and flubbie starting pitching. Do they lead the league in GS given up? Man it seems like every time I turn around someone is giving one up. Just curious. Anyone know?

ChiSox21
09-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Im pretty sure there gonna start estes if theres a playoff game. Lets just root for the stros to win out cuz if they do it will be Shawn Estes vs Roy Oswalt and we all know whose favored in that matchup. Baker will problably go w/ Estes cuz he was w/ him in Frisco and he pitched well the last time he was out.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Wow it's really crummy out there. It'd be a shame if they had to play a DH tomorrow.

Just think of all those knots in Flub players' stomachs today, getting tighter and tighter...*****. Meanwhile, the Pirates are probably watching reruns of "Magilla Gorilla."

:gulp:

thepaulbowski
09-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

A rain out today and DH either tomorrow or Sunday could really mess up their rotation. Not to mention exhaust everyone from being a the ballpark for all that time.

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Chip just said "GAME CALLED, DH TOMORROW."

Meixner007
09-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Double header tommorow at noon. Great news for astro and pirate fans.

LuvSox
09-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Nobody wins double headers. :)

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-26-2003, 05:04 PM
yay, i was hoping and dreaming that the cubs would have to play a double header

Reichardt
09-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
Double header tommorow at noon. Great news for astro and pirate fans.

And White Sox fans :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
I wonder if Sammy will play the second game?

chosk8
I'm hoping for the headline tomorrow...

"Rain and Fogg, too much for Cubs to overcome"

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 05:07 PM
This is the worst possible news for the Cubs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reichardt
09-26-2003, 05:07 PM
I hope that both games go 15 innings and there are 5 rain delays.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Reichardt
I hope that both games go 15 innings and there are 5 rain delays.

Weather tomorrow calls for temps in the 50's with stiff winds out of the west (15-20 MPH). That could mean a lot of homeruns and some very cold stiff players and fans before the whole thing is over...

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Will this be a straight-up doubleheader or a day/night doubleheader?

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Will this be a straight-up doubleheader or a day/night doubleheader?

looks to be stright up. The original game was scheduled for 3:00 in Chicago, so they can't split them. 40K tickets carried over to next year... Ouch...

JRIG
09-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
You just know that either way, the Moron has his column ready for tomorrow:

1. Flubs win:

"And the unstoppable, studly Priority Mail delivered yet again, despite a potentially disastrous X-hour rain delay that threatened the Cubbies' magical-Dusty season..."

2. Flubs lose:

"And the Cubs' sorry history of jinxes, black cats, improbable chokes has swallowed up even the most studliest of pitchers, Priority Mail, who seemed more like Parcel Post on a soggy Friday afternoon at the Shrine on Addison..."

I didn't know Mariotti used a ghost writer, cheeses. You've got the pattern down very well. I guess with the game cancelled he goes with #2.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 05:14 PM
looks to be stright up. The original game was scheduled for 3:00 in Chicago, so they can't split them. 40K tickets carried over to next year... Ouch...

And Fox News this morning said there was a huge line outside of Wrigley for standing-room only tickets today.

Can you imagine taking a day off of work, wasting 10 hours, spending $30 on beer and food, having to sit through the rain & cold, and you STILL can't get to see the game? OUCH.

mulvaskills
09-26-2003, 05:15 PM
:troll

jabrch
09-26-2003, 05:17 PM
I just love it when a plan falls into place!

My prediction....If Milwaukee manages to lose to Houston tonight, a demoralized Cubs team loses both games of Saturday's doubleheader and eliminates themselves infront of a packed house.

Reichardt
09-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by mulvaskills
gets 23 responses (24 with me) yet a discussion on the new Sox manager gets 19 responses. I guess the media aren't the only ones obsessed with the Cubs.

The Sox will get around to hiring a manager and we will have plenty of time to discuss. This Cubs 03 chapter is not complete and as long as there is a chance for a kick in the groin to every Cub player, fan and media member I am VERY interested!

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 05:20 PM
gets 23 responses (24 with me) yet a discussion on the new Sox manager gets 19 responses. I guess the media aren't the only ones obsessed with the Cubs.

Point well taken. But add up all the other Sox threads, and they blow the Cub threads away.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 05:22 PM

Why don't you read the board a bit closer, whiner?

There are probably a dozen threads on managerial ideas in the last 2 weeks alone. Really, what is there to talk about until a decision is announced?

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 05:22 PM
If Game 1 is at Noon, could it be blacked out due to Fox Sports' MLB coverage (Brewers @ Astros, BTW)? The reason the original game is scheduled at 3:00 on FSN is to get around the Fox blackout.

Dadawg_77
09-26-2003, 05:24 PM

Can they move the start up? The Weather Channel is calling fro rain at 3pm with heavy showers starting at 9pm. But that would require the first game not to be on TV since Fox has the exclusive rights to that time slot.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 05:24 PM

Actually, I merged the threads, so it isn't quite that bad.

In addition, given time the other thread will probably be bigger, but this is like a gameday thread that generates lots of replys in a short period and then dies.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Can they move the start up? The Weather Channel is calling fro rain at 3pm with heavy showers starting at 9pm. But that would require the first game not to be on TV since Fox has the exclusive rights to that time slot.

I doubt it. You generally can't move a start time that close to the actual date without pissing off a LOT of people. Can you imagine the 20K+ who would show up at 3:00 only to be told their tickets were worthless and then let a different 40K into the stadium to watch the second game?

Hooo... even the flubbies wouldn't be able to explain that one...

There best bet would be to play a day-night DH on Sunday, but I doubt they want to do that with a possible playoff game on Monday.

If the second game gets rained out tomorrow, then they may be really screwed by having to play a DH on Monday against two different teams.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Gosh, why are you guys paying attention to a crucial game in the sole remaining divisional race in all of baseball, featuring your (arch) intra-city rivals, during an afternoon where the Sox aren't playing and after they've been eliminated?

I don't understand.

I mean, isn't there important hypothetical speculation concerning any one of the dozen candidates to be the Sox's future manager to talk about for hours on end, even though you've been doing this for the past week?

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 05:33 PM
It will be a straight-up doubleheader tomorrow, beginning at 12:05 p.m. Only people with tickets to the originally scheduled 3:05 p.m. game will be admitted. People with tickets for today's rained out game have to, well, "wait 'till next year."

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 05:39 PM

You know what I find fascinating? That every single one of your 5 total posts is in response to a flubbie thread or starting a flubbie thread. You have two posts talking about how the flubbies will win the WS (either this year (over the Sox) or a fantasy matchup from past years).

Now, you were saying, flubbie fan?

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 05:47 PM
You know what I find fascinating? That every single one of your 5 total posts is in response to a flubbie thread or starting a flubbie thread. You have two posts talking about how the flubbies will win the WS (either this year (over the Sox) or a fantasy matchup from past years).

Now, you were saying, flubbie fan?

Nice catch, Jim.

:troll

:whoflungpoo

:thankgod

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Cubs are getting ripped by McNeil, Jurko, and Harry over this. That brings me to this thought: Imagine the media firestorm that would rein down upon the White Sox if they told ticket-holders to a critical game to wait 'till next year.

Also, the Cubs are trying to get MLB to lift the TV blackout for the first game.

DrCrawdad
09-26-2003, 06:11 PM

Cubbies trying to get to the playoffs, Cubbie fans still obsessed with the White Sox and what Sox fans have to say about the Cubbies.

I've seen an increase in Cubbie fan posts here lately. If the Cubbies manage to win the NL Central, bar the doors, White Sox Interactive Admins be on guard because White Sox Interactive will be barraged by Cubbie fans.

BTW I remember in 2000, when the Sox did something the Cubbies haven't done since George H. Bush was President - finish in first place. Anyway when the Sox were playing the Mariners I kept hearing about how if the Cubbies finished in first place Cubbie fans wouldn't be giving the Sox a second of their attention.

Well the increase in Cubbie fans posting on White Sox Interactive lately disproves that argument.

TDog
09-27-2003, 12:53 AM
... Also, the Cubs are trying to get MLB to lift the TV blackout for the first game.

Why don't the Cubs just petition MLB to forfeit the doubleheader to the home team so they can concentrate on Sunday and line up their starters for the postseason.

I'm pulling for heavy, unceasing rain in Chicago for the rest of the weekend. That would be a fitting answer to all this team-of-destiny crap.