PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Sticks Foot in Mouth Again

daveeym
09-26-2003, 03:29 PM
The Score just reported that Manuel said he will sit Magglio for any remaining games if he takes over the batting title lead over the next two games.

I think Manuel must get kickbacks from the players if they reach their bonus goals. Speaking of, has Jose locked in his contract or is that still up in the air?

Dadawg_77
09-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
The Score just reported that Manuel said he will sit Magglio for any remaining games if he takes over the batting title lead over the next two games.

I think Manuel must get kickbacks from the players if they reach their bonus goals. Speaking of, has Jose locked in his contract or is that still up in the air?

Honestly, the move could backfire and has done so previous times it was tried. But if Mags wants to sit on the lead, let him, it is not like the team can accomplish anything in the next three games.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 03:31 PM

Brings back a memory from the mid-late 70's when Bill Madlock for the flubbies played on the final day of the season while some other guy who had the BA lead took the bench rather than risk losing points. Madlock went 4-4 IIRC and won the title by percentage points of BA (like .35349 Vs. .35317).

Nothing good can come of this... Does Maggs have a bonus clause in his contract?

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 03:38 PM
C'mon Manuel, have some stones -- put Maggs out there!

JoeyCora28
09-26-2003, 04:17 PM
So let me get this straight...

He's going to sit Magglio so that he can win the batting title at the risk of losing 2nd place to the Royals and losing $7,000/man for the team?

What a tool...

Daver
09-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JoeyCora28

He's going to sit Magglio so that he can win the batting title at the risk of losing 2nd place to the Royals and losing $7,000/man for the team?

What a tool...

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

JoeyCora28
09-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Thanks!!

You folks are great here!!

This final idiot move by Manuel finally drove me over the edge and made me post...

idseer
09-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
C'mon Manuel, have some stones -- put Maggs out there!

i doubt if manuel would make this decision on his own. i would bet magglio has some input here and maybe he's the one who needs some stones.

Dadawg_77
09-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JoeyCora28

What a tool...

7,000 times 25 is about 175,000. Mags may have a clause in his contract for more then that. I really don't think the 7Gs per man is a major issue as the lowest salary is 300K.

JoeyCora28
09-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
7,000 times 25 is about 175,000. Mags may have a clause in his contract for more then that. I really don't think the 7Gs per man is a major issue as the lowest salary is 300K.

I know that the money is not an issue. But I think that a team goal (namely: finishing as high in the standings as possible) should take precedence over an individual goal.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Yeah, but $7K might mean a heck of a lot more to Aaron Rowand than the bounus money will mean to Maggs who is scheduled to make $14M next year...

pudge
09-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Don't you think this team has too much talk about numbers, period? I'd like to hear someone step up and say, "Who gives a rats butt if Loaiza becomes the winningest Mexican pitcher, does it mean a damn thing???"

Paulwny
09-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i doubt if manuel would make this decision on his own. i would bet magglio has some input here and maybe he's the one who needs some stones.

I agree

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Don't you think this team has too much talk about numbers, period? I'd like to hear someone step up and say, "Who gives a rats butt if Loaiza becomes the winningest Mexican pitcher, does it mean a damn thing???"

Probably to the player in question it does. What team goals are there left to play for this season?

Why do you care so vehemently about it?

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by idseer

If so, that's a big personal disappointment for me.

The little signs that Maggs have changed are beginning to appear. Him starting his own website to sell his own gear was a huge one, IMO (I can't think of another baseball player who does this).

There's another right-fielder in town whose big ego and obsession with stats is notorious. I hope Maggs can find that perfect balance and not fall prey to what that other ballplayer has become.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
If so, that's a big personal disappointment for me.

The little signs that Maggs have changed are beginning to appear. Him starting his own website to sell his own gear was a huge one, IMO (I can't think of another baseball player who does this).

There's another right-fielder in town whose big ego and obsession with stats is notorious. I hope Maggs can find that perfect balance and not fall prey to what that other ballplayer has become.

I agree and have felt that way for most of the season. Maggs is clearly showing signs of bigheadedness, IMO...

Lip Man 1
09-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Somewhere Ted Williams is turning over in his gra....cylinder.

Lip

pudge
09-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Probably to the player in question it does. What team goals are there left to play for this season?

Why do you care so vehemently about it?

Because it defines the team's overall mentality. I just think a mature clubhouse would not be making a fuss over Maggs winning a batting title, or Loaiza tying Fernando Valenzuela. I understand the season is over, but remember Ted Williams refusing to sit so he could bat .400?? Those are the classy kinds of moves that champions make.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Because it defines the team's overall mentality. I just think a mature clubhouse would not be making a fuss over Maggs winning a batting title, or Loaiza tying Fernando Valenzuela. I understand the season is over, but remember Ted Williams refusing to sit so he could bat .400?? Those are the classy kinds of moves that champions make.

I agree to an extent, but times have changed so much since then. Free agency and increased salarys have made personal stats more meaningful. In addition, people are more proud of their ethnicity then they were in the 40's and 50's. Heck back then Loaiza wouldn't have even been pitching in the majors. So, I can understand his desire to be a part of his cultures baseball history.

I agree the Maggs thing is weak even if he does have a contract incentive to win the batting title.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Does anyone else find it funny that in an effort to both play Maggs AND give him the best shot at the BA title, Jerry has moved him in front of Frank in the batting order?

:jerry
"I've been yanking the big man's chain for several years now, but when push comes to shove, I know who the most feared hitter on the team is. Too bad he is the worst first-baseman in the history of the sport, or we might really see some fireworks in the 3-hole."

:walnuts
"Time for ice cream now, Uncle Jerry?"

"After the game, Paulie. I think I'm going to have a double scoop tonight. After all, I'm a genius when it comes to lineups and messing with Frank's head."

:hurt
"You are lucky that I am a nice guy, you waste of bench space."

"You can't talk to my favorite uncle like that. He's a genius. Just ask him."

"Thanks, Paulie. Don't worry about that big hulking beast. I'm well taken care of because I allowed JR to invoke the diminished skills clause by messing with Frank's head. You helped and now you are getting the money he would have received. I will get a years paid vacation because I helped Granpa Jerry save money."

:hurt
"And take that overpaid loud-mouthed nephew of yours with you."

"You're just jealous because I can throw the ball to second base and you can't."

"You tell him, nephew. I just love a first-baseman who can throw. Nappy time..."

TornLabrum
09-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Somewhere Ted Williams is turning over in his gra....cylinder.

Lip

From the neck down. His head is turning in that bucket.

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
From the neck down. His head is turning in that bucket.

I was going to say it, but decided to leave it alone. Nothing gets by the posters at WSI...

RichH55
09-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I agree to an extent, but times have changed so much since then. Free agency and increased salarys have made personal stats more meaningful. In addition, people are more proud of their ethnicity then they were in the 40's and 50's. Heck back then Loaiza wouldn't have even been pitching in the majors. So, I can understand his desire to be a part of his cultures baseball history.

I agree the Maggs thing is weak even if he does have a contract incentive to win the batting title.

It's all pretty weak, but at least JM is taking the hit on the Mags stuff....with the Loaiza he left it up to them, under the theory that it isnt management's job to make decesions

Dan H
09-27-2003, 06:26 PM

This is akin to Jimmy Carter conceding the 1980 election before the polls closed on the West Coast. Can't Manuel go out with any class?

I don't care what is in any contract. A player shouldn't coast to a title in anything. If he has any pride, Magglio will get his contract laden butt out there.