PDA

View Full Version : THE most nauseating Flubs playoff column EVER

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Get your barf bags out for this one, folks.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/972058.asp?0cv=CB20

Some choice quotes:

IT’S NOTHING PERSONAL, just a choice between two story lines. One is a nice story about a good team with a great bullpen. The other holds the potential of being the story of the century about one of sports’ greatest losers having a rare shot at killing a century’s worth of ghosts and demons.

So let me get this straight: every single time this lousy Flubs team is in the hunt it's the "story of the century"?

Still, Houston might have had a chance at latching onto a corner of my sympathy if it had been able to hang onto the lead it once had over the Cubs in the NL Central race.

Houston had its chance over the past two weeks to hold a lead. Instead, they let the Cubs overtake them.

I get it: so when Houston "blows" a 1-game lead, you have to root for the Flubs.

What happens when the Flubs blow a 1-game lead like they did last night? Can we now root for the Astros, given your logic?

And you can’t ignore the Boston factor in all this. If the Red Sox are going to be in the playoffs, you absolutely want the Cubs there, too.

Give us a Chicago-Boston World Series and half the baseball writers in the country might just as well retire immediately after — or transfer to the hockey beat, which may be the same thing — because they’ll never have a story that great to write again.

At some point, the Astros might extend their own record of non-performance long enough to make them a compelling story in its own right. Forty-one years is a decent stretch of losing, but it’s 14 years shy of Cleveland’s and not even half as long as the Cubs’.

Translation: the White Sox don't exist.

It has been a great season, Houston, and the last few games should be chock-full of excitement. But do the game and the fans a favor and let the Cubs win.

"Do the game a favor"?

:chunks

Hangar18
09-26-2003, 03:06 PM
What a Load of BULL *****. These guys become Guilty of CREATING STORIES every day I read something like this. This pretty much shatters the MYTH that they simply REPORT THE NEWS, and DONT EVER TRY TO FORCE PEOPLE INTO FAVORING A CERTAIN TEAM.

doublem23
09-26-2003, 03:08 PM
The Bradley Scout ran a column today that made me want to puke... I'd post the link but the site is down.... Either way, it's a steaming pile of ****.

**** the Scrubs! And their ****ing fans!

Jess1210
09-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Yep, I just saw that article on MSNBC's front page...made me want to do what the guy in the above picture is doing! Yet another fair-weather Cubs follower. YUCK!

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Jess1210
Yep, I just saw that article on MSNBC's front page...made me want to do what the guy in the above picture is doing! Yet another fair-weather Cubs follower. YUCK!

See, the thing is, this guy is just some know-nothing "sports columnist" from New York who in all likelihood isn't a fan, normally, of the Flubs. He's just spouting idiotic, ill-conceived cliches about those pathetic losers on the North Side because he knows it'll be received well. Aunt Helise and Grandma Penny in Wichita Falls will lap that **** up.

Isn't losing cool?

Chisox353014
09-26-2003, 05:59 PM
http://a799.g.akamai.net/3/799/388/e74ee626d0fde0/www.msnbc.com/news/2024557.jpg

Feel free to insert the "free bowl of soup" joke about that guy's hat.
This doofus is Exhibit A of why most sportswriters suck. "Do the profession a favor", you pudwhacker, and find something original to write about. The whole Red Sox/Flubbie eternal suffering thing is boring and it sure as hell 'aint cute. And believe me, we Sox fans know all about suffering.
It's crap like this that will make me still hate the Scrubs 100 years after i'm dead.

Bisco Stu
09-26-2003, 11:25 PM
It's just like that on the Phish board I'm on. Everyone wants Dead Sox--Flubs.

We're the little franchise that Santa Claus forgot.

doublem23
09-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
The Bradley Scout ran a column today that made me want to puke... I'd post the link but the site is down.... Either way, it's a steaming pile of ****.

What a waste of server space this piece of **** is (http://www.buscout.com/ver5/sportsarticle.php?ID=51&date=2003-09-26)

Brian26
09-28-2003, 09:26 PM

Anything produced on the 2nd Floor of Sisson Hall is garbage.

Brian26
09-28-2003, 09:28 PM
LOL, and the moron thinks the first night game at the shrine was in '89??

Do your ****ing homework.

cheeses_h_rice
09-28-2003, 10:59 PM
What a waste of server space this piece of **** is (http://www.buscout.com/ver5/sportsarticle.php?ID=51&date=2003-09-26)

Sox fans will never understand what we feel for our Cubbies. We would never abandon hope before the All-Star break, as the Sox fans did this year.

Translation: even when the Flubs are 25-1/2 games out of it, I still like to get drunk in the bleachers with my buds.

As any baseball fan in the Chicago area can remember, in early July Sox fans had declared their team to be out of contention, and the season to be practically over. Lo and behold, when the Sox went on a tear after the mid-season classic, everyone jumped back on the bandwagon. Look at the attendance numbers — Sox fans are the textbook definition of fairweather.

In other words, I won't bother to back up this assertion with any facts. "Everyone," as a matter of fact, was still seeing games in May and June, just as they did in July, August, and September. In other words, I am in a Flub-fan dilemma: either admit that Sox crowds were decent through most of the summer, or bash the Sox for their lack of attendance, and hope that nobody notices they drew decently this year.

You're right, MM. What a piece of **** that column was.

FanOf14
09-29-2003, 10:14 AM
The coverage really made me sick. One, someone let them know it is a divsion title. Also, the place that I am staying at during the construction on my house gets the Trib so I was forced to look at that yesterday morning and the one article I accidentally looked at was nothing but knocks on the Sox. Will someone let them know that they only won 2 more games than the Sox, not 20?! Fine, they won the division, but do they need to pile into the streets over it? I fear for my sanity if the Scrubs make it out of the first round.

kittle42
09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
I will give credit to Fox 32. They led off their Cub story by saying "Most of Chicago is excited..."

At least they didn't say "all" or just "Chicago."

Let's hear it for media restraint!

davenicholson
09-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I will give credit to Fox 32. They led off their Cub story by saying "Most of Chicago is excited..."

At least they didn't say "all" or just "Chicago."

Let's hear it for media restraint!
Hey, that's what Fair and Balanced is all about! Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D: