PDA

View Full Version : New Manager Big Board

Irishsox1
09-26-2003, 10:20 AM
A lot of names are being tossed around for the new Sox manager, and here is the running board.

1. Wally Bachman
2. Tony LaRussa
3. Bucky Dent
4. Greg Walker
5. Bobby Valentine
6. Cito Gaston
7. Joe Torre (If fired)
8. Larry Dierker
9. John McLaren (Tampa Bay Bench Coach)

As for the last two names, If I was Kenny, I would interview them and see what they have to say.

kingpin_rcs
09-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Can you imagine what a huge, HUGE story it would be if the Sox hired Joe Torre? Talk about a proven manager. Season ticket sales would probably skyrocket on that news alone. Plus, I don't think he would sign unless the Sox we commited to fielding a competitive team.

I think the reaction would be positive for LaRussa too. However, am I the only one here that remembers how we was BOOED out of Comiskey park? Fans were relentless - much more so than they are towards Manuel today. Funny how opinions change when a guy wins a few pennants.

Will Sox fans feel the same way about Manuel someday? My guess - yes.

TDog
09-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
As for the last two names, If I was Kenny, I would interview them and see what they have to say.

I have read that Jerry Manuel was hired on the basis of his strong interview and references.

Risk
09-26-2003, 11:16 AM
I read on the Sun-Times online today that the Sox may be looking at Cito Gaston since KW used to play under him. I know that he was the manager when the Blue Jays won the World Series in the early 90's, but what happened to him after that? And why has he been out of baseball for so long?

Info if you got it--Thanks

Risk

soxfan26
09-26-2003, 11:18 AM
I think Cito Gaston belongs at the top of our list. Torre and Larussa are hopefuls at this point but they will also comand big $$$.

Cito Gaston has managed championship teams, and showed an ability to handle veteran players (Molitor, Carter, Stewart, Morris).
I'm just not clear on how interested he is. Apparently he already has a raport with KW, and I think he would command respect through reputation alone.

I think Gaston is better suited to managing the collection of egos we have assembled at the Cell.

Paulwny
09-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Part of an article from Blue Jay Way:

4a and 4b. Myths: Cito Gaston was a great manager and Cito Gaston was a lousy manager. Cito had very well-defined characteristics as a manager. He liked a set lineup and was better at working with veterans than with young players. He didn't use a lot of strategic options - he didn't pinch hit or pinch run a lot; didn't use the sac bunt or the intentional walk or the stolen base. With a team full of talented veterans, this worked great - there was no constant tinkering to get in the way of the players' great abilities. With a team full of young players and retreads, it didn't work very well at all - a bit of tinkering might have gotten a little more out of the players, but Cito wasn't the guy to do it. He was the right guy in the right place at the right time, and then he was the right guy in the right place at the wrong time.

There were a couple of things about Cito that would have served him well managing any team. First, almost all of his players had a great respect for him, and that's very important for a manager. Second, he seemed to have a knack for defusing clubhouse controversy. A lot of things happened on and off the field while Cito was the manager that could have become big media circuses, but somehow none of these sparks ever caught. (Cito's eventual replacement, Tim Johnson, could have used this quality.)

TDog
09-26-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Part of an article from Blue Jay Way:

4a and 4b. Myths: Cito Gaston was a great manager and Cito Gaston was a lousy manager. Cito had very well-defined characteristics as a manager. He liked a set lineup and was better at working with veterans than with young players. He didn't use a lot of strategic options - he didn't pinch hit or pinch run a lot; didn't use the sac bunt or the intentional walk or the stolen base...

Sounds like the anti-Manuel. I bet he could kick Dusty Baker's butt, too.

Of course, not telling players to bunt could work on a team where your players can't bunt.

Hokiesox
09-26-2003, 11:42 AM
I'd like to see Torre, but I'd also like to see a Yankees-Red Sox ALDS. If that happened, we wouldn't have Torre to even consider. Having said that, I wouldn't mind LaRussa.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Frankly, the most important characteristic our new manager must possess is the respect of our esteemed chairman, Mr. Jerry Reinsdorf. That's why LaRussa is head and shoulders the best alternative Sox Fans can hope for.

LaRussa can be counted on to get the absolute most cooperation possible from the chairman when the inevitable time comes to make some moves and take a few risks--monetary and otherwise. No other managerial candidate can deliver as much of that kind of respect and cooperation from JR. The only manager Reinsdorf has EVER expressed regret over losing is LaRussa, and that is worth a whole lot to Sox Fans looking for a championship.

:reinsy
"We goofed giving up on Tony."

:hawk
"That's right, Jerry. It was a stupid move. Hmm mmm... yes."

KingXerxes
09-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Palehose - LOL.

"You know Hawk I think I'm going to re-hire LaRussa. What do youthink of that?"

"Dad-gummed good move Mister Chairman.......dad-gummed good."

"And I think the guy who originally fired him - as a punitive measure - should have to serve a season as bat boy dressed in a pink tu-tu."

"I'm a size 18 Mister Chairman."

hold2dibber
09-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Frankly, the most important characteristic our new manager must possess is the respect of our esteemed chairman, Mr. Jerry Reinsdorf. That's why LaRussa is head and shoulders the best alternative Sox Fans can hope for.

LaRussa can be counted on to get the absolute most cooperation possible from the chairman when the inevitable time comes to make some moves and take a few risks--monetary and otherwise. No other managerial candidate can deliver as much of that kind of respect and cooperation from JR. The only manager Reinsdorf has EVER expressed regret over losing is LaRussa, and that is worth a whole lot to Sox Fans looking for a championship.

Great point, PHG, I hadn't thought of that. LaRussa wouldn't come here without some commitment from JR that the organization is hell bent on winning a championship. And JR would, at least for LaRussa, make that commitment. Me like.

steff
09-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Wasn't Tony already confirmed on board with St. Louis for next year..? Torre.. here..? LMAO @ that one. I'm hearing Gaston all over the place.. and in the same breath not a snowballs chance in hell that Wally is taking Jerry's place. This weekend should be interesting.

WinningUgly!
09-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Even IF Joe Torre were to get fired by the Yankees, there's no way he'd be managing ANY team in 2004. Torre's been through a lot over the last several extended seasons. Dealing with Steinbrenner & the NY media for as many years as he has, would create a bit of a need for a break. I see him taking a nice pressure-free ESPN studio job for at least a year, before he jumps into his next managing gig.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Like him or not one of the Chicago papers today also said that Ozzie Guillen's name was being mentioned strongly on Thursday. The same paper also said that Uncle Jerry would NOT be spending money on an experienced manager according to a source in the Sox organization.

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Like him or not one of the Chicago papers today also said that Ozzie Guillen's name was being mentioned strongly on Thursday. The same paper also said that Uncle Jerry would NOT be spending money on an experienced manager according to a source in the Sox organization.

Lip

I've said it once, I'll say it again.

Ozzie Guillen as manager?

:chunks

Irishsox1
09-26-2003, 12:57 PM
That picture is totally nasty! As for Ozzie G., no way, only looking for people with managerial experience at some level. Who is spreading that rumor, the Tribune Corp?

joecrede
09-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

As I posted here a couple of weeks ago someone with close ties to this outfit told me a month ago that Guillen would be the odds on favorite to replace Manuel because the Chairman loves him.

I wonder if the Cubs tank it here or get bounced in the first round if Reinsdorf wouldn't hire a LaRussa and keep the team largely intact in order to win one before the Tribune.

34 Inch Stick
09-26-2003, 03:04 PM
I think it is always good to include at least one alum's name on the list of candidates. That is the ONLY reason to include Ozzie on the list.

He was an undisciplined hitter and base runner. He never seemed to do anything fundamentally well. This leads me to believe that he would not be a coach who is a stickler for detail and fundamental baseball. He would be of the opinion that natural talent should always win games. I do not know what his managerial philosophy would be, I am just extrapolating from how he played the game here for a decade.

The stickler type of manager is what we need. Day 1 of spring training should be spent on baserunning and defense. After that has been perfected situational thinking (both offensively and defensively) and bunting. Frank, Maggs, Konerko, Lee all must learn how to bunt, not because it will be needed often, but because it disciplines them to think about hitting situations.

At the beginning of the year there was a manager with one of the most powerful lineups in baseball. He had a bona fide #1 pitcher and a good #2. His bullpen was a question mark but competent. That manager's team faded down the stretch. They lost tough, winnable games against teams that were of apparently lesser talent. Who was that manager. No, not our own Ghandi but his National League neighbor to the south, Einstein.

I'm not saying La Russa would not be good for the job. It should probably be though about a little bit more before we roll over for him though.

Reichardt
09-26-2003, 03:16 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Tony L. is working to make this happen. If there is one thing that he brings to the table, it is he understands the history of this franchise. He woudn't be my first choice but we could do worse.

MRKARNO
09-26-2003, 06:28 PM
I really think that Tony LaRussa wants to come back. JR wants him back and would give him a ton of respect. I think it would spark the greatest era in white sox history if we got him back (and that wouldnt be too hard to do!)

PANFIRECRACKER
09-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think it is always good to include at least one alum's name on the list of candidates. That is the ONLY reason to include Ozzie on the list.

He was an undisciplined hitter and base runner. He never seemed to do anything fundamentally well. This leads me to believe that he would not be a coach who is a stickler for detail and fundamental baseball. He would be of the opinion that natural talent should always win games. I do not know what his managerial philosophy would be, I am just extrapolating from how he played the game here for a decade.

The stickler type of manager is what we need. Day 1 of spring training should be spent on baserunning and defense. After that has been perfected situational thinking (both offensively and defensively) and bunting. Frank, Maggs, Konerko, Lee all must learn how to bunt, not because it will be needed often, but because it disciplines them to think about hitting situations.

At the beginning of the year there was a manager with one of the most powerful lineups in baseball. He had a bona fide #1 pitcher and a good #2. His bullpen was a question mark but competent. That manager's team faded down the stretch. They lost tough, winnable games against teams that were of apparently lesser talent. Who was that manager. No, not our own Ghandi but his National League neighbor to the south, Einstein.

I'm not saying La Russa would not be good for the job. It should probably be though about a little bit more before we roll over for him though.

34, you are correct. say NO to ozzie.

Tragg
09-26-2003, 11:18 PM
Where's Darryl Boston?

The last name on the list is interesting - I'll pass on the rest. (okay, Torre, but I'm trying to be realistic).

MisterB
09-27-2003, 12:14 AM
One little tidbit to add to this discussion - only 4 times has a World Series been won by a team with a rookie manager. The odds say go for experience.

TDog
09-27-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
One little tidbit to add to this discussion - only 4 times has a World Series been won by a team with a rookie manager. The odds say go for experience.

Does that include Gary Coleman in the 1970s made-for-TV remake of "The Kid from Leftfield"?

In case you missed it, Padres owner Ed McMahon fired his veteran manager midseason and hired Gary Coleman, who was still a cute kids a the time. The veteran manager got a job with the White Sox, who had apparently fired their manager despite being in first place. The Sox also apparently had no trouble making it to the World Series and grab the first three games. But they end up losing to the Padres with their rookie manager.

The movie still haunts me.

Irishsox1
09-27-2003, 12:40 AM
I havn't seen the Gary Coleman movie, but would it surprise me that the Sox grab a 3-0 series lead and lose it to Gary Coleman?...No, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

WinningUgly!
09-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

Only 2 times has a World Series been won by a White Sox manager, so would hiring a rookie manager double our chances? :D:

Bisco Stu
09-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Haha! I saw that movie, I forgot it was the White Sox! Only in the movies do we win a pennant.

And as long we're doing pop culture references, it's not "Bachman Turner Overweight," it's Wally BACKman.

soxtalker
09-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I really think that Tony LaRussa wants to come back. JR wants him back and would give him a ton of respect. I think it would spark the greatest era in white sox history if we got him back (and that wouldnt be too hard to do!)

I just spent some time on the web site of the St. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper. I got the impression that all of the management in St. Louis -- owner on down -- want him back. So, what sort of scenario allows him to come here?