PDA

View Full Version : Tribune: Reinsdorf may spend $$$ for new manager, TLR's name mentioned

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 11:06 AM
In the Tribune this morning, it is reported that Jerry Reinsdorf may shell out the dough to bring in a proven manager to succeed Jerry Manuel. The article discusses the possibility of Tony LaRussa coming back.

For those of you Tribune-registered (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030925soxgamer,1,641857.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

soxnut
09-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Today, I went on the Cardinals official mlb website. I wanted to find out what their comments were, if any about how they felt about what happened to the Cards this September.

They were talking about how their manager made blunders in the batting order, handling the pitching staff and so on. You'd think they were talking about Manuel--not LaRussa. So......I don't know.......... :?:

But, I think I'd still rather have TLR than any of the other candidates.

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 01:23 PM
TL has won in Chicago, Oakland and St. Louis, so maybe he would be a good choice :?:

Hangar18
09-26-2003, 01:28 PM
I dont know, but the FACT that JR is talking about Going For It, spending the $$$$ and getting a proven MLB manager has me EXCITED again. We were THISCLOSE this year. a couple of tweaks here and there.....and Next Year could be a Blast. I can personally tell everyone, that a lot of people are waiting to see if they want to Renew Season Tix, my cousin included. But if they talk the talk and walk the walk, I will COMMIT and be there Next year. Its only Fair. If Jerry Commits......SO WILL I. Mr Reinsdorf, we'll get you that WS Ring yet......

MarkEdward
09-26-2003, 01:28 PM
If we're going to spend money, please JR, spend it on anything *but* an expensive manager. Use that money to bring back Thomas and Ordonez, maybe even use it to re-sign Colon. If we have a lot of talent out there, even the dumbest of managers can get thier team to win (see Jim Riggleman and the Cubs, 1998; or Bob Brenly and the Diamondbacks, 2001).

pudge
09-26-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm close to a lot of Cards fans, and they were not happy with LaRussa... I am very weary of him... he "rests" guys a lot, reminds me of another manager named Manuel... Torre rests guys too, but he knows he has the luxury to do so... every manager rests players to a certain extent, but some of LaRussa's decisions this year were ridiculous, especially since he was in such a close race.

I don't know, I fear whoever we get will have his own problems. Sigh.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2003, 01:36 PM
By reading the Chicago papers today NOBODY really knows what's going to happen.

I mean the Daily Southtown said a source told them Wally Backman isn't even going to be considered.

A paper said Ozzie Guillen's name was sweeping the clubhouse Thursday and that Uncle Jerry would NOT spend money on a manager.

Buddy Bell's name was mentioned today, ditto Cito Gaston's

It's all speculation at this point. We'll see... but remember these are the White Sox where the truth is always stranger then fiction.

Lip

SoxxoS
09-26-2003, 01:38 PM
Tony LaRussa is one of the best managers in the game. Bar none, IMO.

Did you see what happened to his rotation this year? They were still in the hunt, even though his whole rotation was injured at one point. When you have to start Jason Simontacchi for any period of time, you know you are in trouble.

J.D. Drew is also walking injury. He needed to Tinker, when Jerry didn't.

Most importantly, he brings immediate RESPECT to the players. They all loved to play for Jerry b/c he was such a nice guy. Well nice guys finish last (or in this case, third). Bring TLR in.

CHISOXFAN13
09-26-2003, 01:38 PM
The Cardinals pitching staff is horrendous so I think it's unfair to critiize LaRaussa for this season. All I know is he has a solid history of reaching the playoffs. I could get used to being in the playoffs on an annual basis.

If we commit money to a manager like LaRussa, I'm sure Reisndorf will also open up the purse to pursue/re-sign key free agents.

KingXerxes
09-26-2003, 01:39 PM
I could swear that I saw somewhere that LaRussa was re-upping with St. Louis for 2004.......EPSN I think. Was this wrong?

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Buddy Bell's name was mentioned today....

What does BB bring to the table???

Lip Man 1
09-26-2003, 01:58 PM
The only thing that matters...according to one of the papers a few days ago, he's a favorite of the owner from when he worked in the Sox organization in the early 90's.

Lip

DrCrawdad
09-26-2003, 02:17 PM
The only thing that matters...according to one of the papers a few days ago, he's a favorite of the owner from when he worked in the Sox organization in the early 90's.

Lip

I believe that there is a very good chance that Tony will be managing the Sox next year.

My reasons for believing this center primarily on Reinsdorf, and the relationship that you've mentioned. What would be extra cool about hiring Tony would be bringing Dave Duncan over here.

IMO if the Sox don't bring in Tony then I expect that we'll be disappointed by the manager picked by KW. I wouldn't be surprised if Cito, Backman or some guy who we haven't even considered is brought in.

Frankly, if it's not Tony then I expect that KW will choose a minority for manager.

duke of dorwood
09-26-2003, 02:26 PM
If history tells us anything, its that the $ will not be spent on a manager. At best, we'll end up with a middle of the road, moderatly experienced guy-like a Don Baylor. Its a feeling I have

jabrch
09-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
If history tells us anything, its that the $ will not be spent on a manager. At best, we'll end up with a middle of the road, moderatly experienced guy-like a Don Baylor. Its a feeling I have

I would love to see Baylor ONLY IF we could guarantee that we'd win next year and laugh at the Cubs for firing him...

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I could swear that I saw somewhere that LaRussa was re-upping with St. Louis for 2004.......EPSN I think. Was this wrong?

LaRussa does have 2004 on his current contract, but I believe the Cardinals would let us talk to TLR if we asked them.

thepaulbowski
09-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Cito Gaston

I'll take Cito Gaston. Nothing was better than watching him puff on cigarettes in the hallway to clubhouse when things got tough during games. Oh...and he won a couple of rings, too.

thepaulbowski
09-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
LaRussa does have 2004 on his current contract, but I believe the Cardinals would let us talk to TLR if we asked them.

I know the perfect compensation

:wright

"Did someboy mention my name?"

idseer
09-26-2003, 05:31 PM

why? what could we POSSIBLY offer the CARDINALS for the opportunity of getting larussa, hmmmmmmm?

think about it!

guillen4life13
09-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by idseer
why? what could we POSSIBLY offer the CARDINALS for the opportunity of getting larussa, hmmmmmmm?

think about it!

JM also has a year left on his contract. You thinkin' what I'm thinkin?

Manuel for La Russa!

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 05:39 PM

think about it!

:burly
"I'd be happy for the Sox to offer me."

Paulwny
09-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

I also read this and also can't remember where.

idseer
09-26-2003, 06:45 PM
:burly
"I'd be happy for the Sox to offer me."

this is what i'm thinking. future considerations.

RichH55
09-27-2003, 03:48 AM
this is what i'm thinking. future considerations.

Ridiculous. C.Lee for Rick Helling bad