PDA

View Full Version : WCR: Don’t Let The Door Hit You…

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 09:10 AM
If it’s true that every cloud has a silver lining, White Sox fans have found theirs, namely, the possible end of the Jerry Manuel era. The White Sox manager sure sounded like a guy saying so long after Thursday’s victory over the play-off bound Yankees. In fact, the Daily Southtown is reporting that Manuel has already been informed of his imminent launching.

"It's somewhat sad," said Manuel. "And also probably empty, to a degree. Regardless, I'll rise again somewhere.”

There isn’t a manager alive that hasn’t rolled out a few boneheaded moves during his tenure with a team and Manuel has given us more than his share. The final nail in his coffin appears to be his incredible decision to start Neil Cotts against the Yankees on August 28th. The Sox pounded the Yankees on two consecutive days with Mark Buehrle due to pitch the finale. Inexplicably, Manuel started the rookie Cotts who was horrible, pushing Buehrle back to open against the Tigers the next day. Since then, the White Sox have gone 12-11, losing five of seven to the Twins along the way.

Many Sox players are backing Manuel as the manager for them, but it appears to be a case of the “devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know”. A replacement with a disciplinarian style would not be welcomed on 35th Street.

“I figure it would do a lot worse," opined Carl Everett. "I figure we would do a lot worse because we have some guys in here that don't take criticism well. As I said before, Jerry Manuel didn't lose this for this team. This is a team full of veterans.”

Therein lies the problem, they didn’t win for a guy they claim to like and respect and won’t play for a demanding type like Larry Bowa or Wally Backman. Sounds like GM Ken Williams needs to change some faces in the locker room.

Kilroy
09-26-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
The Sox pounded the Yankees on two consecutive days with Mark Buehrle due to pitch the finale. Inexplicably, Manuel started the rookie Cotts who was horrible, pushing Buehrle back to open against the Tigers the next day.

This is a little bit revisionist. As I remember it, everyone was expecting Manuel to move Buehrle up a day to face the Yanks in the finale because of an off day earlier in the week. Manuel decided not to do anything.

That said, I don't think Manuel getting fired will be because of any one thing this year. It will be because of 6 years of not getting where we want to be.

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
That said, I don't think Manuel getting fired will be because of any one thing this year. It will be because of 6 years of not getting where we want to be.

Agreed, his body of work doesn't warrant continued employment.

However, the Cotts/Buehrle incident brought into focus his inability to make important decisions regarding 25 athletes over a 162 game span!

Kilroy
09-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Agreed, his body of work doesn't warrant continued employment.

However, the Cotts/Buehrle incident brought into focus his inability to make important decisions regarding 25 athletes over a 162 game span!

I think he made the decision that considering how the Sox had played against the Tigers to that point, he'd rather have Buehrle going against them than against the Yanks. And given that, I agree. Of course, Buehrle got his ass kicked, and the rest is history.

hose
09-26-2003, 10:19 AM
I wonder if Joe Nossak will be gone also?

If a guy like Cito Gaston comes in he might keep Joe around.

Viva Magglio
09-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hose
I wonder if Joe Nossak will be gone also?

If a guy like Cito Gaston comes in he might keep Joe around.

I would suspect that Nossek, as well as Greg Walker and Art Kusyner, will still be around...especially if they hire TLR.