PDA

View Full Version : The Cubs are imploding

CHISOXFAN13
09-25-2003, 08:06 PM
The Reds have scored six runs and counting in the bottom of the sixth to take an 8-4 lead.

First place Cubbies—THEY GONE.

Let's go 'Stros.

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 08:09 PM
The Cubs may be in trouble, but so is Houston.

Richie Sexson just tied the game by putting it on the board, and the Brewers have one on with nobody out.

oheeoh...magglio
09-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Am I the only one that considers the headline of this thread an oxymoron?? :)

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Cubs down 8-6...Astros up 3-1.

And in the 8th, Chip did something his grandfather was famous for..

"THERE'S A DRIVE!!!!!.....but it's caught in deep left center..."

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Dear God,

Thank you for listening to Sox fans' prayers today.

Let's go Stros.

:gulp:

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Dear God,

Thank you for listening to Sox fans' prayers today.

Let's go Stros.

The Good Lord did not come completely through for us, considering our wonderful performance tonight.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The Good Lord did not come completely through for us, considering our wonderful performance tonight.

To be honest, I watched "Survivor" and "Temptation Island 3" instead. I just checked scores a minute ago; ignorance is truly bliss this time o' year.

So, we're now in third place, right?

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 09:25 PM

Tied for second. We have to take two of the remaining three to clinch the silver medal.

doublem23
09-25-2003, 09:25 PM

I'll also be honest and my intense following of the White Sox has waned, but I think this ties us for 2nd with KC.

2 more...

doublem23
09-25-2003, 09:26 PM
Tied for second. We have to take two of the remaining three to clinch the silver medal.

I wonder if any team has won more silver medals than us since the divisions realinged in 1994.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I wonder if any team has won more silver medals than us since the divisions realinged in 1994.

Possibly Boston?

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Maybe the Red Sox, but I'm not sure.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:32 PM
I checked the team stats for the BoSox and Chisox, and right now they're tied since '95.

White Sox:

'95 - 3
'96 - 2
'97 - 2
'98 - 2
'99 - 2
'00 - 1
'01 - 3
'02 - 2

Boston:

'95 - 1
'96 - 3
'97 - 4
'98 - 2
'99 - 2
'00 - 2
'01 - 2
'02 - 2

So, if the White Sox finish 2nd this year, they'll still be tied.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Astros up 5-1, with the sacks packed in the 8th, only 1 out.

:D: :gulp: :smile:

doublem23
09-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Hmmm... I checked...

Five
Red Sox, White Sox, Giants (1994)

Four
Angels, Astros (1994), Mets

Three
Dodgers, Athletics (1994)

Two
Orioles (1994), Reds, Indians (1994), Expos, Yankees, Mariners

One
Braves (1994), Cubs, Rockies, Marlins, Royals, Twins, Phillies, Pirates, Rangers

Zero
Diamondbacks, Tigers, Brewers, Padres, Cardinals, Devil Rays, Blue Jays

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 09:41 PM
And that's an Astros winner!!!! :gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Baaaa-aaaaa! Baaaaa-aaaaa!

(Hey, who let that goat in here?)

:) :gulp: :D:

ChiSox21
09-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Astros Win Cubs Lose we need two more days like this please please please God just two more days like this

ChiSox21
09-25-2003, 09:45 PM
could we get an Astros winner thing enlarged like it is when the sox win just for these next 3 days

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox21
could we get an Astros winner thing enlarged like it is when the sox win just for these next 3 days

How about this?

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 10:14 PM
If the Cubs and Astros end up tied on Sunday, where would the playoff be?

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 10:16 PM
If the Cubs and Astros end up tied on Sunday, where would the playoff be?

I think a coin-toss has been done, and the game would be at Wrigley.

I think I'll help pay down part of my mortgage by buying as many tix to that as I can...

StillMissOzzie
09-26-2003, 12:41 AM
How about this?

Oh please oh please oh please!!! Let me hear this a few more times this year! I actually want the Scrubs to lose more than I care about whether the Sox finish 2nd or not. I want all of the smart-ass Scrub fans who asked me what happened to "my" White Sox to feel my pain. Maybe it will hurt even more since they're a little closer to the end, but... GO 'STROS!!!

SMO

Dan H
09-26-2003, 06:20 AM
We have one big hope this weekend: Kerry Wood.

As dominating as Wood can be, he's just as capable of going out there and walking ten guys. Just get him rattled a little, and we can be spared this awful nightmare. You don't want to hear about the "magical" season of 2003 forever, do you?

One more thing to put sunshine in our lives: If the Cubs and Houston tie, niether Wood or Prior would be available for a one game playoff. And the Astros would have Oswalt going in that last game.

If Houston wins, I'll be the first to buy an Astors Central Division Champions T-shirt.

Hangar18
09-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox21
Astros Win Cubs Lose we need two more days like this please please please God just two more days like this

I cant tell you how ecstatic I was listening the the end of the
flub game last nite. I like them better this way actually, reminds me of my childhood, innocence and good times. I feel better when they lose, its like its the way its supposed to be. theres nothing wrong with them losing ...... they'll always have 39K in the park .......

jabrch
09-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Frankly, I am so damn depressed about the Sox choking this thing away (and the Twins kicking our asses all over the field for 5 games) that I don't care anymore. I know I should cheer for Houston. I know I should not want the Cubs to win a series before we do. I know I should want to see Carrie's arm fall off. I know I should root for Prior to be stupid... But I can't right now. I spent all my baseball emotion this year on the Sox; most of it in July, August and September and was rewarded with this...

The Cubs losing will be a mere consolation prize. Kinda like winning the 3 inch trophy for coming in third in the sack race at the company picnick rather than the lottery for $25,000,000. I just am too hurt to be happy right now.

Until I hear our managerial selection, I can't see baseball exciting me for a while...

Chisox353014
09-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Caught the last full inning or so of the Flubs game (the boycott of all things Baby Blue can be lifted when you stumble across the knowledge that they are about to blow a huge game) and I have 2 observations;
1. The Reds aren't a AAA team, they are an A team. Who in the heck were all those guys out there, and how could anyone lose to them? If the Scrubs do pull this thing out they're in for a rude awakening when they have to face a major league opponent again.
2. If the Sox could somehow transplant Sean Casey's heart into all their players, they'd never lose a game. The guy dives 5 rows into the seats to catch a ball he had no chance to get to in a game that means nothing to his team, then turns to Jimenez and says "I shoulda had that one". Gotta love it.

Iwritecode
09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Frankly, I am so damn depressed about the Sox choking this thing away (and the Twins kicking our asses all over the field for 5 games) that I don't care anymore. I know I should cheer for Houston. I know I should not want the Cubs to win a series before we do. I know I should want to see Carrie's arm fall off. I know I should root for Prior to be stupid... But I can't right now. I spent all my baseball emotion this year on the Sox; most of it in July, August and September and was rewarded with this...

The Cubs losing will be a mere consolation prize. Kinda like winning the 3 inch trophy for coming in third in the sack race at the company picnick rather than the lottery for $25,000,000. I just am too hurt to be happy right now.

Until I hear our managerial selection, I can't see baseball exciting me for a while...

Well, it's not so much about getting excited that the Cubs are losing, it's the fact that misery loves company.

We are all wounded right now and if they win, that would be pouring salt into it. If they don't win, then at least we don't have to suffer quite as much...

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 10:31 AM
I don't really get into all the anti-flubbie stuff as much as some of you, but I am in no mood to have the lovable loser fans in my face 24/7. Besides, I have young nephews who (God help them) are flubbie fans for life, so I try to be "Uncle Jimi the Sox fan", not "Uncle Jimi that viscious bastard who hates my favorite team". Still, I took some pleasure in watching them lose last night and watching the Astros come on strong to win their game.

I even got to watch the Sean Casey 2-run homer that made it 8-4 and the single in the bottom of the 8th that made it 9-6. Why would the pitch to him in that situation? 1B was open and there were two outs. Baker "the genius" didn't look to good pitching to him in those situations. I can't even imagine how ticked off this board would be today if JM had made similar mistakes last night.

JRIG
09-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
We have one big hope this weekend: Kerry Wood.

As dominating as Wood can be, he's just as capable of going out there and walking ten guys. Just get him rattled a little, and we can be spared this awful nightmare. You don't want to hear about the "magical" season of 2003 forever, do you?

One of the things I hate most about the Cubs is that every freaking season is "magical." The Cubs go 68-94 and it's a "magical" season because Sammy hits 60. The Cubs go 81-81 and it's a "magical" season because no one expected them to play this well. The Cubs blow the division this year and I'm sure it will still be "magical" because of the karma Dusty brought in.

I still remember the 2001 season where the Cubs were up something like 5 or 6 games in July. They trade for Fred McGriff, fade terribly down the stretch, and NOBODY CARES. It was still a "magical" season. Sox fans would be apoplectic if the Sox blew a lead like that. Should the White Sox 2003 season be considered "magical" because the team fought back from 9 games under and briefly held 1st place before blowing it? If we were the Cubs you can be sure Dan Roan would refer to it that way.

TDog
09-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
One of the things I hate most about the Cubs is that every freaking season is "magical." ...

The Cubs don't have to win to make their fans happy. It's not an original observation and one that has inspired multitudes of WSI posts.

This wasn't a magical year for the Sox. Maybe there were a few magical innings, maybe a magical game or two. Sox fans know better than to throw this "magical" stuff around.

The best of times this year were more than balanced out by the worst of times.

KingXerxes
09-26-2003, 11:53 AM
The Cub game was on in the bowling alley yesterday. About 1/2 of the league is Cub fans, the other 1/2 Sox fans.

To say that "The Cubs don't have to win in order to make their fans happy" is flat out wrong.

Now I'll readily admit to not being a big Anti-Cub guy (like some others on this board). That being said - I don't think the Cubs are going to win their division this year. But I quietly watched a whole slew of guys suffer in silent agony last night when the Cubs lost a game they should have probably won. They weren't happy to any extent over their team. (This was much the same situation the week before amongst White Sox fans at the lanes when the White Sox lost the third game in Minnesota). Maybe it's where I live as well, but you didn't get Cub fans shoving it in my (or anybody's) face last week, and the same held true for last night.

We, as White Sox fans, do not have a monopoly on baseball knowledge or the misery that accompanies a losing team, that I guarantee you. To think or say otherwise - and do so in a serious fashion - is unbridled arrogance. It doesn't foment a pro-White Sox fandom, it only fosters and anti-Cub fandom. To say that this doesn't matter is to miss the reality:

Pro White Sox attitude:

White Sox win pennant, Cubs don't - Very Happy
White Sox win pennant, Cubs also - Very Happy
White Sox lose pennant, Cubs also - Not Happy
White Sox lose pennant, Cubs win one - Not Happy

Anti-Cubs attitude:

White Sox win pennant, Cubs don't - Very Happy
White Sox win pennant, Cubs also - Worried about losing WS
White Sox lose pennant, Cubs also - Not Happy
White Sox lose pennant, Cubs win one - Head in the Oven

I like my 50/50 odds.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 12:03 PM
I have to say today's been a very bad day of crawling-from-the-woodwork Flub fans, at least during my commute, elevator conversations, etc.

Yeah, that backwards blue cap you're wearing to work looks really professional.

I just want this annoyance to be over.

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 12:17 PM
...it will be bigger than 1969!!!

This one was totally in their grasp whereas in 1969, the Mets played lights out and there was almost two months left when they started their swoon, highlighted by an eight game losing streak in September.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2003, 12:30 PM
If the Flubs choke, here's what we'll hear out of the mouths of their fans:

1. "At least we were still playing meaningful games this late in the season...unlike the Sox."

2. "At least we didn't lose 5 games head-to-head with the team that beat us in the division...unlike the Sox."

3. "Sammy got 100 RBIs again."

4. "Prior's gonna win the Cy Young."

5. "We still got a good team for next year."

None of which addresses the issue of not making it to the postseason again, even with a cake schedule down the stretch.

KingXerxes
09-26-2003, 12:30 PM
2003 vs. 1969.

Sorry but there is no way in the world this Cub team will ever be taken as a bigger dissappointment than in 1969. In '69 Cub fans were celebrating their pennant in late May and it went on and on until they finally fell out of first (which I think was some time in August). Not too unlike the Mariners this year.

This team - while still in it - has played pretty well in the second half and will be viewed as having come up just short.

=

jabrch
09-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
...it will be bigger than 1969!!!

This one was totally in their grasp whereas in 1969, the Mets played lights out and there was almost two months left when they started their swoon, highlighted by an eight game losing streak in September.

Are you nuts? 69 was one of the top 5 chokes in professional sports history...Prof. Grobber, come on...give Mammoo a little history lesson. This will pale in comparison to 69.