PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal On manuel / White Sox

Lip Man 1
09-25-2003, 06:29 PM
I just got this week's issue of The Sporting News. Ken Rosenthal has a story on four teams that didn't make the playoffs and what might happen. The four were the Sox, Cards, Dodgers and Mariners.

Each team had a caption describing their season, for the sox it was "Too Weird."

Some comments / quotes.

"All of the questions about the White Sox enigmatic character resurfaced when they lost five straight games to the twins all but deciding the divisional title and leaving G.M. Ken Williams in a self described "in shock."

"Manager Jerry Manuel will be fired three months too late. And the team's failure to reap postseason revenue will lead to significant changes, the Sox home attendence doesn't justify keeping the team intact."

"The loss of several free agents would reopen major holes."

"My mentality won't allow me to do anything but go for it." Williams says. "I know Jerry (Resindorf) is at a point in his life...it's been 23 years for him. He was looking forward to having this team in the playoffs."

"I don't have any quibble whether the payroll is 55 million, 60 million or hopefully even above that. We'll make it work!"

"Williams can start by hiring a more effective manager."

Lip

Gumshoe
09-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Lip, do you still have sources that indicate JR will go for it?

HE MUST SELL > we knew it mid year.

Jerry is the WORST. Another in the line of terrible Sox owners...

Gumshoe

Lip Man 1
09-25-2003, 08:05 PM
I have nothing more then what Ed Herrmann told me...that one of the Sox minority owners told him at the Sox fantasy camp last Winter in Arizona that Uncle Jerry had begun the paperwork to sell the club to other minority owners.

I passed this info on to Bob Vanderberg of the Tribune.

Lip

MRKARNO
09-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I have nothing more then what Ed Herrmann told me...that one of the Sox minority owners told him at the Sox fantasy camp last Winter in Arizona that Uncle Jerry had begun the paperwork to sell the club to other minority owners.

Lip

Shouldnt this be pretty big news?????

:selljerry

Daver
09-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Shouldnt this be pretty big news?????

Only if it was really happening,I would bet you a dollar to a donut it isn't.

MRKARNO
09-25-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Daver

if he does is there any possibility that the new president would be willing to spend more money? What I'm also sort of asking is what percent does reinsy own

RichH55
09-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Lip, do you still have sources that indicate JR will go for it?

HE MUST SELL > we knew it mid year.

Jerry is the WORST. Another in the line of terrible Sox owners...

Gumshoe

We dealt for Everett, Sullivan, Alomar, Colon(earlier than mid year), hell Schoenweis was nice out of the bullpen..........What at mid season meant "He Must Sell" --> If you thought he needed to sell all along....then mid year wouldnt be the time "we knew it"

gosox41
09-26-2003, 07:51 AM

Lip

I haven't heard this one, but I've heard other news that relates directly to payroll that if true will hopefully be announced soon.

Bob

dickallen15
09-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Reinsdorf's share of the team, at least initially, isn't that great. So for not so great of a financial investment he took all the power. No way he'll sell his interest to minority owners. I think this story is erroneous. If the other shareholders pressured him to sell to an outside interest, to make a big profit, maybe I would buy it, but this scenerio makes no sense. Reinsdorf is here to stay IMHO.

joecrede
09-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I haven't heard this one, but I've heard other news that relates directly to payroll that if true will hopefully be announced soon.

Bob

Is this news a new revenue stream for the Chairman, perhaps a big money sponsorship, similar to the one the Yankees have with Addidas, or is it a commitment to raise the payroll?

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 09:35 AM
...when they lost five straight games to the twins all but deciding the divisional title and leaving G.M. Ken Williams in a self described "in shock."

I believe it...

I bet KW was bouncing off the walls when he watched this team piss away a golden (no pun intended) opportunity!

I fully expect him to stay aggressive...

Someone please enlighten me; what would have been an acceptable attendance for this club??? :?:

Procol Harum
09-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Someone please enlighten me; what would have been an acceptable attendance for this club??? :?:

Don't know what Reinsy and pals think acceptable attendance would be (more than the Cubs?), but this year's attendance story was definitely a positive one.

Final numbers indicate that our attendance this year was a total of 1,939,594 for an average of 23,946 which is a 16% increase over 2002 (1,675,591/20,656). That this team ended up with almost 2 million after flopping out of the gate and playing corpseball until mid-June is actually pretty amazing.

If Reinsdorf actually ponies up some money for a quality manager and improving the team, it's hard to imagine him doing under 2 million next year. And if they would actually cut some of the ticket prices ($40 for Club Level--unbelievable)...but that's another post.

If Lip's info might actually turn out to be true that JR is in a sellin' mood, Sox attendance might hit 3 million....

Mammoo
09-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
That this team ended up with almost 2 million after flopping out of the gate and playing corpseball until mid-June is actually pretty amazing.

I agree wholeheartedly!!

Considering the way this team started out and the "show me" attitude White Sox fans being to the table, it is "truly amazing"!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-26-2003, 10:07 AM
I think JR is a shrewd enough businessman to know that all those extra ticket packages he sold in 2003 thanks to the all-star game are coming up for renewal this winter. He has a one-time shot to hold on to these customers by showing he is serious about fielding a champion team. The all-star game is over and he had better think of something to retain those sales or risk losing all of them. He won't even come close to 1.9 million if he doesn't.

Speaking strictly from a financial standpoint, this is no time for the chairman to be signaling that the Sox are shedding ballplayers and payroll for 2004.

Show us how smart you are, Jerry. :smile:

:reinsy
"Add LaRussa, add payroll, trade for some top-talent... MONEY!!!"

voodoochile
09-26-2003, 10:08 AM
If JR sells within the group, it might be due to pressure. Maybe the other owners are finally fed up with his negative public image in both fan and media circles. I would expect Einhorn to be named the President if that is the case.

fquaye149
09-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Daver

with the price of donuts going through the roof, you're making out like a bandit on this one!