PDA

View Full Version : A real Sox funeral

hose
09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
In today's Sun-Times, Richard Roeper , who happens to be a die-hard Sox fan, wrote about a young man's passion for his beloved White Sox and how his family recognized it at his funeral.

I don't know if this belongs in the clubhouse or parking lot sections , but check this article out.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep25.html

::sea of silver and black'

Schmitz's family picked out a casket in White Sox colors, and they put a Sox decoration on the casket. At the funeral mass at St. Emeric Catholic Church in Country Club Hills, the pallbearers wore White Sox hats and black shirts with White Sox logos.

"We bought out Sportmart," said Schmitz. "Everybody in the procession wore White Sox clothing, except his friend who just got back from Iraq about a month ago and wore his Marine dress blues.

"[The church] was a sea of silver and black. Little nieces and nephews [wore Sox-logo clothing]. A woman in her 60s, who never wears anything but dresses or pantsuits, was in a Sox outfit."

Even the priest donned a White Sox jersey.

At Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, as Philip Schmitz was laid to rest, his father sang "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." Everyone joined in.

"I just didn't want the service to end," Schmitz explained.

"He was a good kid."

Here's the thing about fans and their teams:

We know it's just a game.

We know the players on our teams are mostly from out of state or out of the country, and don't live here in the off-season. We know they move from team to team, either by trade or free agency, and rarely look back.

We know a lot of them are great guys -- and at least as many are selfish dolts or pure jerks.

And we know there are 1,000 things more important than whether the Sox (Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks) win or lose.

But that doesn't mean our emotional investment in a team isn't valid and vital. You inherit team loyalties almost at birth -- think of newborns who wear those tiny team pajama/uniforms -- and it becomes a constant element in your personal makeup. Over the course of a lifetime, you'll be asked to name your favorite team as often as you'll be asked about your favorite food or your favorite holiday or your favorite love song.::

ChiSox14305635
09-25-2003, 11:07 PM
I read that article this morning. It was tragic he lost his life, but it was a touching story nevertheless.

Hangar18
09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
I read that, and meant to post a link to it. Good article for
an unfortunate incident

doublem23
09-26-2003, 03:14 PM
I hope someone posts this story in every MLB clubhouse... Dedication like that is what baseball is all about. RIP, Phillip Schmitz... Hopefully the Sox win the World Series every year where he is now.