PDA

View Full Version : What is Hawk & D.J.'s mood these days?

SpringfldFan
09-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Folks, I have been pretty busy with work and family committments the last week or two so I haven't been able to catch much of the Sox on television (which I guess is a blessing these days). Anyway, nobody has really commented on what Hawk and DJ have been saying about the team's fortunes these days. How have they been reacting to the choking and elimination of the Sox? Are they dejected, pissed, confused or what? Also, what remarks have they made regarding Jerry Manuel and the managerial situation? Just wondering.

SouthBendSox
09-25-2003, 04:21 PM
DJ is mad

thepaulbowski
09-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
DJ is mad

Awwww...DJ's mad. What a shame. :whiner:

(I couldn't resist)

Chisox353014
09-25-2003, 05:08 PM
One thing I've noticed over the years: generally the amount of Hawk play-by-play decreases in direct proportion to how poorly the Sox are doing.

Let's just say I remember loooooong stretches of silence during that Minnesota series.

Whenever there are those long pauses I always picture him turning off the mike and swearing into a bucket or something. :D:

GoSox2K3
09-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Here's hoping that after Sunday, we've heard the last of Hawk's annoying "He Gone!" call.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
One thing I've noticed over the years: generally the amount of Hawk play-by-play decreases in direct proportion to how poorly the Sox are doing.

Let's just say I remember loooooong stretches of silence during that Minnesota series.

Whenever there are those long pauses I always picture him turning off the mike and swearing into a bucket or something. :D:

Or when the other team hits a home run, Hawk's delivery becomes this quiet monotone "and you can put it on the board." You know he's hurting, too.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Here's hoping that after Sunday, we've heard the last of Hawk's annoying "He Gone!" call.

Oh man, I LOVE "hegawn!" Cracks me up.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

That is Hawk's schtick. If he is mad about something one of the Sox ballplayers does (like walk a hitter after having him down 0-2 in the count), he doesn't complain. He just leaves a long, long, silence on the air. There were plenty of long silences during the Minnesota series.

I prefer Rooney and Farmer on the radio. They rarely mince words, and sometimes they become quite pointed in their criticism (like Magglio not hitting the cut-off man in Minnesota).

Of course nobody compares to Harry and Jimmy when it came to calling 'em like they see 'em.

:harry&jimmy
"The strangest things seem to happen when Bee Bee Richards is on the field."

SouthBendSox
09-25-2003, 06:57 PM
1) Hawk must keep "hegawn". Its really weird since he dropepd the "he's" and went with the "he" but still.

2) DJ needs out. He hates baseball and hates life.

3) I'd love to hear what Farmer really thinks. He needs to open up more.

SoxFan76
09-25-2003, 07:09 PM
hawk is the man. definitely the best active announcer going right now. i guess they had a "best home run call" list on ESPN, and hawk was number 1.

i dont mind those long silences when the sox do something bad. i bet you hawk is swearing with the mike off. he is really into the game of baseball. God Bless em. because from what i hear on the TV or radio, chip caray doesnt really seem like a baseball fan. neither does DJ or farmer. it seems like hawk, stone, and rooney are the only baseball fans.

LASOXFAN
09-26-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3

love that call. signature. even the guys on sportscenter use it when covering a sox game.

LASOXFAN
09-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
That is Hawk's schtick. If he is mad about something one of the Sox ballplayers does (like walk a hitter after having him down 0-2 in the count), he doesn't complain. He just leaves a long, long, silence on the air. There were plenty of long silences during the Minnesota series.

I prefer Rooney and Farmer on the radio. They rarely mince words, and sometimes they become quite pointed in their criticism (like Magglio not hitting the cut-off man in Minnesota).

Of course nobody compares to Harry and Jimmy when it came to calling 'em like they see 'em.

:harry&jimmy
"The strangest things seem to happen when Bee Bee Richards is on the field."

they were the best. hands down. Does anybody know how you can get your hands on some of those old games, particularly that '77 season? That would be a blast to watch a couple of those games again with Harry and Jimmy!

soxtalker
09-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Have there been any rumors about possible changes in the broadcasting staffs for next year?

Procol Harum
09-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
1) Hawk must keep "hegawn". Its really weird since he dropepd the "he's" and went with the "he" but still.

"He Gone!" is an absolute keeper!! As for dropping the possessive 's' it's a Southern thang (or "it a Southern thang." :smile: ).

KingXerxes
09-26-2003, 11:11 AM
Hawk is "hurting" during the broadcasts? Did somebody really write that on this thread?

ESPN is showing a replay of the Red Sox / Yankees one game playoff from 1978 (I think that's the year) in the next few days. I've already seen it, and I've seen it with Harrelson doing the play-by-play. Hopefully this is the one they'll show.

I wish every White Sox fan who loves this guy could see it - because there you'll see a Hawk Harrelson "who was really hurting for the Red Sox." and I'm sure, although I can't prove it when he did Yankee games for a couple of years he was "really hurting" when it came to those games as well.

It's all an act with this guy as it is with most if not all announcers. Nothing more. And that's fine as long as it's taken as such - but please don't kid yourself into thinking that this guy bleeds for the White Sox like some of the fans do.

Brian26
09-26-2003, 09:32 PM
C'mon King. Hawk's been doing Sox games for 21 years (except for '87-'89). The guy's basically been with the organization for two decades. There's no doubt in my mind he bleeds silver and black.

KingXerxes
10-30-2003, 04:35 PM
And when he finally moves onto St. Louis he'll bleed "Redbird Red", or in Detroit he'll bleed "Tiger Blue"

Ken Harrelson - like all announcers - bleeds what ever color the team paying him wears. The only exception I have ever seen to this rule was Jimmy Piersall - who actually broadcast games like he hated the White Sox.

john2499
10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
The only exception I have ever seen to this rule was Jimmy Piersall - who actually broadcast games like he hated the White Sox. [/B][/QUOTE]

And their wives!!!

batmanZoSo
10-30-2003, 04:44 PM
KingXerxes,

No, you're wrong. Hawk cares big time. If he were that good an actor, he'd be in Hollywood.

Just because he wasn't a Sox fan his whole life doesn't mean he's not a Sox fan. When you cover 155+ games a year for 20 years, a team tends to grow on you.

KingXerxes
10-30-2003, 04:55 PM
All actors are not in Hollywood.

Here's the way I see it:

Every single announcer I have ever seen (on a local station) is a HUGE fan of that club. Every single announcer I have ever seen make the switch from that club to another club immediately becomes a HUGE fan of his new club (Harry Caray did it from St. Louis to the White Sox to the Cubs - I can't speak to his one year in Oakland. Ken Harrelson did it from Boston to Chicago. Jack Brickhouse used to do it for both the Cubs and Sox at the same time. Turn on 620 am some Sunday afternoon and if the weather is clear you'll hear Wayne Laravee - now the World's Biggest Packer fan doing their play-by-play. Ron Santo and Mike Shannon (St. Louis) may be exceptions due to their playing days with their clubs.

Is Harrelson more attached to the White Sox over these last twenty years or so? Sure - who wouldn't be, but don't kid yourself - he's not attached like a regular fan - no way. This is his living, and "acting" is a very big part of it. Steve Stone sits in the Cubs booth, and acts like a Cubs fan - even while he's negotiating to buy the Montreal Expos.

There - I have the weight of almost 40 years of observation on my side here. Other than the fact that you think Harrelson is a huge White Sox fan -- please explain why.

DSpivack
10-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
[I] Turn on 620 am some Sunday afternoon and if the weather is clear you'll hear Wayne Laravee - now the World's Biggest Packer fan doing their play-by-play.

Wayne Laravee, if I am not mistaken is from Wisconsin. Sure, he was a [I]great Bears announcer, but I do believe the Packers were always his love. He just had so much excitement in his voice- I loved it. Both as Bears and Bulls announcer.

KingXerxes
10-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Wayne Laravee may very well be a Packer fan - but there is no way you ever would have known it when he was doing the Bear games and they were playing against the Packers. He was 100% Bears at that time.

This is not a slight of Laravee - he was excellent at doing his job, and his job was announcing Bear games as if he were a Bear fan. My only point is that the same thing holds true of Ken Harrelson. I really hope fans out in the audience don't really think that Harrelson cares in the same way as they do. Not just Harrelson - but any announcer (with rare exception).

DSpivack
10-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
My only point is that the same thing holds true of Ken Harrelson. I really hope fans out in the audience don't really think that Harrelson cares in the same way as they do. Not just Harrelson - but any announcer (with rare exception).

They are doing their job; guys like Wayne Llarivee [however you spell his name] and Ken Harrelson are just those who do their jobs very well. We should have no expectation that they would be as emotional, excited or enraged at the team's performance when they did not grow up with the team.

batmanZoSo
10-30-2003, 11:44 PM
KingXerxes,

What's a regular fan? In my experience, there aren't too many people who care as much as I do, and the Sox still aren't my life. From everyone I've ever met, I'd say I'm a bigger fan than 95% of them. But there are bigger fans than me who buy season tickets, who go to games in Birmingham and Kansas City. That's nuts. But if that's your definition of a regular fan, I'm not even one. I don't think Hawk cried when they tore down Old Comiskey, but I know a few guys who did. Hawk tows the line, as you can see by the way he never badmouths the team. But if you don't see any authenticity in the way he does the games, you must be jaded as all hell. And that's okay, you have been a Sox fan for 40 years. That's where I'm headed. Frankly, you should be honored for sticking around so long.

I mean he really gets p-d off at times and so down and out that he's almost unprofessional about it. He's passionate and he cares. He's no differen't when he goes on the Score. Chip Caray screams and yells when the Pirates hit a long ball. He's one of the guys that apply to your theory. And there are a bunch of others too. I never tried to disagree with you on that, just on Hawk.

Brian26
10-30-2003, 11:49 PM
King,

You bring up some excellent points that are very, very difficult to argue with.

Hawk's said in the past that after a tough loss he'll go back home and stay up and think about the game until 4am because it eats him up so much. Call me crazy, but I believe him. I guess that could be a line of BS (per your argument), but there's a certain passion with Hawk that is too genuine to deny.

Anyone who's watched Hawk broadcast games (3 hr games, 162 games a year, for 20 years) can give you examples of his passion really coming out. I think there's more passion involved in announcing baseball games every night for 20 years than doing 16 football games a year.

KingXerxes
10-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Okay - Let's look at it this way.

If the White Sox organization stopped employing Ken Harrelson - not anything acrimonious, but they just let him go - would he buy tickets and go watch the White Sox on a regular basis?

Would he sign up to some sort of special satellite television package from his home down in Florida to watch them regularly?

Would he even subscribe to have the Sun Times/Tribune delivered to his home so he could follow them?

There is no doubt that I'm jaded - in certain areas, I'm jaded beyond belief, but I don't think one has to be too jaded to say that the answers to the above are "probably not". My guess is that he would probably try to land another gig with another team and, if he does his job well, will come off sounding like he's a huge fan of that team. That's not to say he doesn't care about the White Sox - of course he does. He's watched this team for the past twenty years, but if his employment picture changed I suspect he would be mallable enough to get himself attached to a different team very quickly. He would have to if he was doing his job. The same goes for 99% of all announcers, and these days - unfortunately - players.

To me a "fan" is somebody who has an irrational attraction to a team. If I moved to Los Angeles (it will never happen) and lived there for 40 years (another thing that probably won't happen) I could never see myself cheering for Anaheim or Los Angeles - because I'm a White Sox fan.

Now a disclaimer - just to show how honest I am. I readily admit I have never liked Ken Harrelson - although I guarantee you that has nothing to do with this discussion as to whether he's a "fan" or not. My reasons for this are many, and mostly are second handed, but they all fit nicely together for me to form a picture of this guy. I realize everybody can have their opinions on whether he is a great White Sox fan, a paid mercenary, or a scheming sycophant. I just trust my gut with this guy and it tells me to stay clear.

:hawk

"I would buy as many tickets as Mr. Reinsdorf told me to buy."

:reinsy

"That's a good Hawk."

miker
10-31-2003, 04:48 PM
I thought Hawk and JR were good buddies, even after the disastrous stint as GM. You can look at it a couple ways: has Hawk grown attached to his employer or is he the ultimate suck-up?

As for Ken Harrelson the broadcaster, I've always enjoyed his trademark calls and mannerisms. Isn't the complaint by the anti-Sox crowd that the organization doesn't have a personality? Well, Hawk has personality.

He's also seems difficult to work with if the the "Can of Corn" incident with DJ is any indication.

So what is the complaint: Ron Santo bleeds blue and is hailed as a saint and Hawk cares and is dismissed as a paid shill? Would you rather listen to Chimp Caray and the KY-lubed Tribune Company stroke-a-thon for 162 games?

I swear, we Sox fans are never happy...

Stoky44
11-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by miker

He's also seems difficult to work with if the the "Can of Corn" incident with DJ is any indication.

"Can of Corn" incident...??? Could someone please explain, I was wondering why I haven't heard that much lately in the last few years, I thought he just grew tired of saying that just like "Grab some bench" that line was dropped after nearly every strikeout in the early to mid 90's.

batmanZoSo
11-02-2003, 11:20 PM
KX,

It all depends on whose definition is of which word.

I'm glad you brought up the moving thing. If I moved to San Fran I'd follow them and go to games (well, partly because I'm a casual Giants fan as it is, but nonetheless). I would still be a Sox fan first. But I imagine it would really suck to live in a town where there isn't any buzz or media attention about a baseball team you root for (wait a minute, it's like that NOW!). You know what I mean though....I gotta be able to turn on AM and listen about baseball, and get whatever local paper and read about it. I think my natural instinct would be to take on whatever team plays in my town. I mean no team would ever replace the Sox, ever. I would absolutely get a dish and try to fly back here at least once a year to go to the cell. But I don't see anything wrong with liking two teams provided that you always root for one of them to beat whomever they're playing no matter what. But I'm kinda getting off track here.

I just disagree. I think he would still follow the Sox in whatever way he could, probably wouldn't go totally out of his way. It wouldn't be the same as you or I being transplanted most likely, because I said before that he's not the same kind of fan we are having grown up somewhere else and having played and worked for other teams in the past. But he does care about this team a lot. I think your definiton of fan would be better suited for "diehard fan." And to be a diehard you have to have grown up in the area. His love of the Sox lies mainly with the players I think. He has an affinity with them, watching all of them take their first strike and last ball, watching Frank's first at-bat and his entire hall of fame career. He refers to all of them by their first names or nicknames that he made up. I absolutely sense something there that couldn't be broken by a canning or a retirement.

That's what I feel. This is an agree-to-disagree if I ever seen one.

WhiteSox = Life
11-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
"Can of Corn" incident...??? Could someone please explain, I was wondering why I haven't heard that much lately in the last few years, I thought he just grew tired of saying that just like "Grab some bench" that line was dropped after nearly every strikeout in the early to mid 90's.

All I can recall is that Hawk said "can of corn" one time and DJ replied with a sardonic comment. Hawk obviously didn't care for that too much (as it was one of his pet phrases), and there was silence for a few moments.

Since then, I haven't heard Hawk use "can of corn" very often, though he still says it sometimes.

I don't know how this all transpired, but I believe I caught the gist of it. Can anyone elaborate upon the tale, or if need be, type up the correct one? I, too, am interested in remembering the exact circumstances.

batmanZoSo
11-02-2003, 11:42 PM
It happened in Baltimore around July 2000 if I'm thinking of the same thing you are.

DJ said something like (and in a rather chippy voice, not sounding critical at all): "I think you should come up with a new catch phrase. Can of corn's gettin a little old, what do you think?"

And Hawk was like "you never come up with anything." Then the booth was silent for a good minute. Later on the score Hawk was adament in denying there was any bad blood there. My friend, he must be Henry Rollins, because he's a LIIIIIIARRRRR!

soxnut
11-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Well, if there is bad blood, I think it's because DJ doesn't give Hawk enough respect. I was at Soxfest the year that DJ was hired as announcer. As I hung around, Hawk and DJ were together, and it seemed Hawk was giving pointers to DJ about the whole announcing thing. I think Hawk wanted to take DJ under his wing and to me DJ seems to be unappreciateive of that and it probably rubs Hawk the wrong way.

So as long as we're talking about Sox announcers, did anyone catch the last Sox post-game show on the radio? To me, it sounded like Dave Wills will not be back. He said something about wanting to be a play-by-play man, and as much as he loves the Sox, he may look elsewhere to get a job. Sounded like he has an opporutinity somewhere else. Anyone know? :?:

mike squires
11-03-2003, 10:02 AM
I have heard a coupl times in the past the Hawk is someteimes used as a marketing too for the organization. It cringed about 20 times toward the end of the season when it was clean the Sox were out of the race when Hawk would say..."This team has a chance to do some special season next year. They have a chance to be good, REAL GOOD." Hawk says that every year including at Sox fest during the seminars. I'm willing to bet he made those same comments in 86, 87 and 88 when they REALLY sucked. It's Hawks job to do that but I cringe when he does. I sent him an e-mail awhile back asking him that very question (how do you go to another team and "become a fan" of that team.) He never replied but the answer is that is his job and that's what he is paid to do. IMO, Hawk loves the WhiteSox. He wouldn't have stuck around through all of these losing seasons if he didn't.