PDA

View Full Version : In The New Sports Weekly...

jeremyb1
09-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Bob Nightengale had a few items that should be of interest. The first was that obviously Manuel is gone but - somewhat suprisingly - he also claims Backman will not be considered and that the replacement will come from outside the organization. The second item I found interesting was that he also claims the Dodgers are going to trade Odalis Perez this season after he refused to make a start due to a broken fingernail. Personally, I'd be pretty interested in acquiring a 26 year old lefty one year removed from a 3.00 ERA especially if we may be losing Colon.

hold2dibber
09-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Bob Nightengale had a few items that should be of interest. The first was that obviously Manuel is gone but - somewhat suprisingly - he also claims Backman will not be considered and that the replacement will come from outside the organization. The second item I found interesting was that he also claims the Dodgers are going to trade Odalis Perez this season after he refused to make a start due to a broken fingernail. Personally, I'd be pretty interested in acquiring a 26 year old lefty one year removed from a 3.00 ERA especially if we may be losing Colon.

Odalis has potential, but he seems pretty inconsistent and has been shelled this year (although not in the past) away from Dodgers Stadium. In other words, he's a guy I'd certainly be willing to have at the back of the rotation, but I wouldn't consider him a replacement for Colon. If you're lucky, he reverts to his 2002 form. If not, he's still better than Danny Wright in the 5th starter hole.

34 Inch Stick
09-26-2003, 11:10 AM
And with Fred McGriff leaving they have a need at first base. Paulie what do you think of LA the second time around?

fledgedrallycap
09-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
And with Fred McGriff leaving they have a need at first base. Paulie what do you think of LA the second time around?

Paulie was a Danny Evans kid who started in the Dodger organization....too good to be true :gulp:

hold2dibber
09-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

The problem with that is, Dodgers management does not give Evans unlimited resources to work with. And there is every reason to believe that they'll make a play for Tejada. I doubt they'd be willing to eat Paul's salary anyway, but there surely wouldn't be willing to do so if they're going to commit big $ to Tejada. KW would have to be creative.

RichH55
09-27-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The problem with that is, Dodgers management does not give Evans unlimited resources to work with. And there is every reason to believe that they'll make a play for Tejada. I doubt they'd be willing to eat Paul's salary anyway, but there surely wouldn't be willing to do so if they're going to commit big $ to Tejada. KW would have to be creative.

Are any of those monstrous contracts due to come off the books anytime soon? Perez for Konerko would add about 4-5 million to their payroll?(Please let me know if my math is fuzzy here)....What does Mcgriff make? Even if they add Tejada, they still will need a 1B, and I think Evans was here when we dealt for Paulie originally

voodoochile
09-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Are any of those monstrous contracts due to come off the books anytime soon? Perez for Konerko would add about 4-5 million to their payroll?(Please let me know if my math is fuzzy here)....What does Mcgriff make? Even if they add Tejada, they still will need a 1B, and I think Evans was here when we dealt for Paulie originally

After last years disasterous deal for Hundley, I think Evans will be a little gun shy about paying for a guy coming off his worst year. Add in the persistent rumors about Konerko's hip condition (which Evans has first hand knowledge about) and I just don't see this happening.

soxtalker
09-27-2003, 10:04 AM
How safe is Evans job with the new Dodger ownership?