PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Dent - new manager?

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 02:45 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=37889195

Rosner says that he was #2 to JM back in '97....

fledgedrallycap
09-25-2003, 02:51 PM
I read that too. I have also heard a lot of Tony Larussa talk, has everyone forgot who owns this team and that Manuel still has 1.2 million coming to him next year??

How soon until a replacement is named? They probably won't waste too much time so they can start greasing the wheels with Colon and other free-agents.

WinningUgly!
09-25-2003, 02:52 PM
White Sox general manager Ron Schueler said Manuel beat out a strong field of candidates to replace Terry Bevington, who was fired Sept. 30.
According to reports, Bucky Dent, Larry Parrish, Alan Trammell and Jerry Royster also were interviewed for the job.
"Jerry was at the bottom of the list before the World Series but once I had interviewed him, in my mind there was no doubt," Schueler said of Manuel.
Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf also interviewed Manuel and agreed. Schueler told Manuel he was bringing the two finalists to town Wednesday but when Manuel arrived - surprise - he was the only one there. Schueler had made up his mind.

Linky (http://www.onlineathens.com/1997/120597/1205.s4whitesox.html)

jortafan
09-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Personally, I'd love it if Bucky Dent were to become the White Sox manager. Just think of how apoplectic Red Sox fans would get every time our team played in Fenway.

But I was always under the impression that Bucky was the heir to the throne in New York, should Joe Torre actually step down after this season. Would he want to come back to the White Sox organization?

Personally, I'm bracing myself for Wally Backman. That is, unless Harold Baines now has some desire to manage. Does anyone know what it is Harold wants to do?

Randar68
09-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Personally, I'm bracing myself for Wally Backman. That is, unless Harold Baines now has some desire to manage. Does anyone know what it is Harold wants to do?

I heard Harold was seen with Crede impersonating a Mime in the Clubhouse.

Hullett_Fan
09-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I heard Harold was seen with Crede impersonating a Mime in the Clubhouse.

*****! :D:

Yeah, Harold's the one for the job if you're looking for someone even more apathetic, sleepy and unmotivating than Manuel.

I say heck no to that idea.

Chisox353014
09-25-2003, 03:39 PM

If you thought Jerry Manuel had a laid-back approach, what would Baines be like?

mandmandm
09-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
If you thought Jerry Manuel had a laid-back approach, what would Baines be like?

His first move would be to replace the bench with a row of Lazy Boy recliners.

white sox bill
09-25-2003, 04:05 PM
I think Harolds stoned!

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
His first move would be to replace the bench with a row of Lazy Boy recliners.

Cool. That's a great first step in begging this man to come back:

:hitless

Can I wear my sneakers, too?

voodoochile
09-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
I think Harolds stoned!

No sure about that, but if anyone ever watches the 5 minute pre-game chat with DJ and Hawk, you have to believe that DJ has been smoking something.

Hullett_Fan
09-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No sure about that, but if anyone ever watches the 5 minute pre-game chat with DJ and Hawk, you have to believe that DJ has been smoking something.

I've thought that as well. Looks like his eyelids wear a ton and he's always got that peculiar grin on his face (if any expression at all). You may be onto something...

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Yes, it always seems to be 4:20 in DJ Land...

GoSox2K3
09-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Does Bucky Dent have any managerial experience or skills?

I don't want to get too wrapped up in the sentimentality of someone because they were once one of the more popular players on the Sox.

jortafan
09-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Does Bucky Dent have any managerial experience or skills?

I don't want to get too wrapped up in the sentimentality of someone because they were once one of the more popular players on the Sox.

Bucky is the manager of the Yankees' triple-A affiliate this year. He was the Yankees manager in the late 1980s (when they sunk really low, although Steinbrenner is on record as saying that wasn't Dent's fault). In between that, he was a coach with the Texas Rangers and a manager in the Kansas City Royals minor league system.

soxwon
09-25-2003, 10:04 PM
i want Larusa and only tony-bring back cub hatter matt morris with him.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2003, 10:28 PM
I could live with "Bucky."

Lip

MRKARNO
09-25-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I could live with "Bucky."

Lip

I guess we'd all be glad with a manager that we could all not be displeased with

Nick@Nite
09-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Personally, I'd love it if Bucky Dent were to become the White Sox manager. Just think of how apoplectic Red Sox fans would get every time our team played in Fenway.

I think all of New England still refer to him as "Bucky 'Bleeping' Dent".

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-25-2003, 11:44 PM
don't mind my stupidness of asking, but is this the same dude who messed up that play at first in game 6 of the 86 WS for the red sox?[/stupid young person]

WinningUgly!
09-26-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
don't mind my stupidness of asking, but is this the same dude who messed up that play at first in game 6 of the 86 WS for the red sox?[/stupid young person]
You're thinking of Bill Buckner...ex-sCrUB.

chosk8
09-26-2003, 08:42 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030925soxgamer,1,641857.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

While some believe the Sox would rather save money by promoting Double-A manager Wally Backman or hitting coach Greg Walker, a source within the organization said he expected club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf to commit the necessary funds to hire a proven manager .

Bobby Valentine and Cito Gaston are among the former managers who might be considered.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by chosk8
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030925soxgamer,1,641857.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

LaRussa is mentioned prominently in that story, too. Teddy G. specifically notes the close relationship that seems to have been built this summer between the ex-Sox manager and the Sox front office. It was LaRussa who somehow managed to attend the '83 Sox reunion dinner (even while managing the Cardinals), and gave the address at the Sox' Field of Greens charity golf outing. I recall somebody here at WSI noting the same facts earlier this week. Hmmm...

My 2 cents...

LaRussa has been a candidate in past years the Sox were looking to hire a manager, but it was always the Sox chasing Tony, not the other way around like it appears this time.

The smart money is on LaRussa as next Sox manager. I think he would be a great fit for this team. Smart (too smart?), does his homework on the competition, and definitely not afraid to step on a few inflated egos for the good of the team. You need to break some eggs to make an omelet, and LaRussa can be trusted to get our clubhouse in order.

The fact that LaRussa is well-respected by the chairman ought to pay dividends, too. If LaRussa says he needs some help with the roster, JR is far more likely to open the purse strings--especially after openly expressing regret over losing LaRussa the first time back in '86. The chairman doesn't admit making mistakes easily, so we can trust his sincerity in this matter.

Do the deal, Kenny. This time we can get LaRussa.

:reinsy
"Yes, Kenny. Do the deal!"

jortafan
09-26-2003, 09:15 AM
Noticed in the Friday (9/26) Chicago papers that the Tribune was touting Buddy Bell as the frontrunner for the job, while the Daily Herald pushed Cito Gaston and the Daily Southtown touted Ozzie Guillen. Sun-Times copy was so vague that I couldn't tell what they were saying.

So we'll probably get stuck with whoever fits within the budget and couldn't find a job elsewhere. By the way, what other managers are in danger of losing their jobs at season's end. I'm kind of curious as to where Jerry Manuel could wind up next year (and yes, I do believe he will manage again).

PaleHoseGeorge
09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
So we'll probably get stuck with whoever fits within the budget and couldn't find a job elsewhere. By the way, what other managers are in danger of losing their jobs at season's end. I'm kind of curious as to where Jerry Manuel could wind up next year (and yes, I do believe he will manage again).

I doubt Manuel will step directly into another manager's job. That fiasco in New York's Yankee Stadium before Labor Day probably opened way too many eyes to what a bust this former manager of the year truly is. Manuel's got friends, and he'll wind up on somebody else's staff. My guess would be Alou's in San Francisco.

Eventually somebody with a young team will bring in the great Jerry Manuel to tutor their young ballclub and get them "ready to battle." If Manuel has learned anything, he'll be a better manager for the experience of being such a walking talking disaster for the Sox. He might even become a good manager, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Pete Ward
09-26-2003, 09:42 AM
If the Sox have a chance to get LaRussa they would crazy not to!

JR has said that "ONE" of his biggest mistakes was letting Tony go.

I also belive he would spend a few $$$$ to get Tony the resources he needs to get this team over the top.

If Williams gets a NAME (LaRussa) we keep the team intact and go for it.

If Williams gets a "new" manager (Dent, Backman), we rebuild and let the FA go.

34 Inch Stick
09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Manuel is under contract through next year. I bet he goes to his newly built dream house for a year and collects his salary. We will then hear his name in the rotating list of coaches when positions open up after the '04 season.

As for La Russa, that would be great. However part of the La Russa package seems to be Dave Duncan, who is the highest paid coach in baseball. That's a lot of coin for JR to shell out.

soxtalker
09-26-2003, 04:26 PM
I raised this about a week ago in one of the threads, but I don't think anyone responded. Regarding LaRussa, I always had the impression in the past that one of the factors keeping Scheuler from hiring him was that LaRussa did have that direct relationshipi with JR. Now, I don't really have anything to back this up, but I would think that it could be a concern to any GM -- including KW. Any thoughts?

Lip Man 1
09-26-2003, 05:05 PM
For what it's worth:

In the winter of 1997 Bob Nightengale of The Sporting News had a long story detailing an account of how LaRussa met with Reinsdorf over dinner to become the next manager of the Sox.

According to Nightengale the two sides agreed on a multi year multi million dollar contract that also included a sizable deal for Dave Duncan.

Reinsdorf took his "hand shake" agreement to Ron Schueler to get his thoughts on the matter.

According to the story Schueler objected stating that he (Schu) felt his authority was being underminded because as part of the deal Tony wanted some say in personnel matters and insisted that the Sox raise payroll and have a veteran club.

That last point conflicted with Schueler's desire to build from the farm system.

Basically the story said that Schu told Uncle Jerry that he wouldn't be in favor of the move and if Reinsdrof hired Tony, Schu would be resigning.

The story said Uncle Jerry valued Schueler more then LaRussa and the deal was never consumated.

Lip

dougs78
09-26-2003, 05:19 PM
For what it's worth:

In the winter of 1997 Bob Nightengale of The Sporting News had a long story detailing an account of how LaRussa met with Reinsdorf over dinner to become the next manager of the Sox.

According to Nightengale the two sides agreed on a multi year multi million dollar contract that also included a sizable deal for Dave Duncan.

Reinsdorf took his "hand shake" agreement to Ron Schueler to get his thoughts on the matter.

According to the story Schueler objected stating that he (Schu) felt his authority was being underminded because as part of the deal Tony wanted some say in personnel matters and insisted that the Sox raise payroll and have a veteran club.

That last point conflicted with Schueler's desire to build from the farm system.

Basically the story said that Schu told Uncle Jerry that he wouldn't be in favor of the move and if Reinsdrof hired Tony, Schu would be resigning.

The story said Uncle Jerry valued Schueler more then LaRussa and the deal was never consumated.

Lip

Thats a very interesting story. I particularly like the part about "insisting the Sox raise payroll" lets hope if we manage to get him this demand will be similar this time around.

I'll have to say, for as turned off as I am with White Sox baseball right now, I am intrigued about bringing back Tony, but perhaps more with this notion that we might actually spend some money next year (even if its only at 60-65 million). Of course even adding that 15 million depends on adding it smartly, which I actually have some confidence in Kenny doing.

I'm not anywhere near convinced we'll do anything, but at least the possibility is interesting.

MRKARNO
09-26-2003, 06:41 PM
For what it's worth:

Lip

Kenny Williams is no Schueler. He has a strong desire to win. I dont think kenny williams would get in the way unless his job was in jeopardy because TLR=Win and Kenny williams likes to win

PaleHoseGeorge
09-27-2003, 08:20 AM
For what it's worth:

Lip

I've never heard of that story, though I wouldn't be surprised to know it was reported. If it is true, that's a big indictment of Ron Schueler's commitment to winning. Clearly La Russa was better qualified than any of the managerial candidates Schueler was considering--including Florida's bench coach Jerry Manuel.

We had a chance to get La Russa and we passed because Schu felt threatened? Gimme a break! It was an annual ritual every winter in the sports pages speculating whether Schu was coming back next season. He always fed plenty of quotes to the media to keep the speculation up, too.

One thing I know for sure. The three managers Ron Schueler hired (Lamont, Bevington, and Manuel) are among the three worst this ballclub has ever had. None of them were equipped for the job they were given and they all floundered badly, in spite of the talent they were given to work with.

:jerry
"Go ahead, PHG. Do it!"

****ing idiot ------------------> :schueler

soxtalker
09-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Kenny Williams is no Schueler. He has a strong desire to win. I dont think kenny williams would get in the way unless his job was in jeopardy because TLR=Win and Kenny williams likes to win

I don't think that it is so much the "desire to win" that is the issue. I'm sure that Schueler fully believed that he wanted to win. It strikes me as being very similar to the hiring of almost any mid-level manager in business. Some people will hire the very best people they can under them; some will make sure that they hire someone who will never usurp their authority. If the story is true, Schueler wanted no part of a manager who could and probably would go around him. Whether Williams would be willing to do so is an open question. He seems to run a pretty tight ship.

On the other hand, there are aspects of KW's style that do indicate that he'd be willing to hire TLR. Schueler, given the strong backing from JR, seemed to be willing to wait quite awhile. KW was agressive from the start, and this has only accelerated during his tenure. It is almost as if he realizes that his time is limited. So, he might very well go with a manager who can bring some things to the table that others don't even if it means giving up complete control.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
....Schueler, given the strong backing from JR, seemed to be willing to wait quite awhile. KW was agressive from the start, and this has only accelerated during his tenure. It is almost as if he realizes that his time is limited. So, he might very well go with a manager who can bring some things to the table that others don't even if it means giving up complete control.

Complete control... I believe that might be the key element to all of this. Schueler hired three guys (Lamont, Bevington, and Manuel) that he always had ultimate control over. The fact they were ill-equipped for the job and hurting the ballclub's ability to win were strictly secondary considerations for Schu.

Complete control... it also answers a question I've been asking myself for three years now. Why did Jerry Manuel generally keep to using set line ups his first three years, including the 2000 championship season? Why did he suddenly change and begin tinkering obsessively at the beginning of 2001--changing line ups almost daily and never really quitting until his job was threatened last July? With Schueler gone after 2000, did new Sox GM Kenny Williams (and the chairman) finally put their foot down?

Was Schueler dictating what Manuel could or could not do? Signs point to yes.

:schueler
"See what happens when I'm not around to keep Jerry on a leash?"

:jerry
"Woof! Woof!"