PDA

View Full Version : Thomas tells his critics to ****

maurice
09-25-2003, 12:13 PM
"I'm not putting up average numbers year-in and year-out, and I think people got to stop expecting me to do a lot more than everyone else.''

Linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug25.html)

jabrch
09-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by maurice
"I'm not putting up average numbers year-in and year-out, and I think people got to stop expecting me to do a lot more than everyone else.''

Linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug25.html)

Every time he opens his mouth, he sticks his foot into it. I read the whole article - and I understand what he was saying. However, the soundbite will reverberate "I think people got to stop expecting me to do a lot more than everyone else.''

Um, Frank, I do expect you to do a lot more than everyone else. You are the veteran of this team. You are the best hitter. You should be the captain. You should be a leader. I do expect more from you than I do from any other player on this team. You are better than any player on this team. You want us to pay you more than everyone else next year (except Mags $14) I have ever right to be "expecting" you to do more.

****..You are a great hitter, but a humungous crybaby. Nobody likes a crybaby. Here's a suggestion for you. Go home, work on your defense. Work on your hitting. Come back a 1B who hits .280+ and I promise you you will find people love you the same way they did in the 90s. But if you come back hitting .250 and another manager says your defense is still not good enough to play 1B every day, you will find the fans still expect more out of you.

By the way, Paulie - we expect more from you as well. You have sucked far worse than Frank. The only difference is we hadn't been accustomed to years of outstanding performance from you and you don't bitch as much about things....

34 Inch Stick
09-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Isn't it inconsistent to say that you always put up big numbers but people shouldn't expect more out of you than other players?

jabrch
09-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Isn't it inconsistent to say that you always put up big numbers but people shouldn't expect more out of you than other players?

No, that is the burden of being a star. People expect you to be a star forever and tolerate nothing less than what they believe to be your best.

Is it a large buden on Frank? Yes, but he is part responsible for it. He knew when he signed the initial deal that he would be under that pressure as a Sox player. Now is is reaping the rewards of the deal he sowed.

Bobby Thigpen
09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
I imagine you won't hear too much from the Frank supporters on this one. This is just another example of why Frank should not be a centerpiece to any organization, let alone the Sox. This is the same guy who said he was going to "set the tone" for the team by swinging for the fences everytime up, but at the same time doesn't want people to blame him when he has an average year (here we go with the stats) and the Sox end up being an average team. You can't have it both ways Frank. You're either a leader who takes the blame for the bad along with the praise for the good, or please do us a favor and finally **** for good.

But everything would be allright if he only played first everyday.

voodoochile
09-25-2003, 03:01 PM
The full quote:

"It seems like I am always having a comeback,'' Thomas said. "I don't understand what I got to do as a player to stop it being worded as a comeback season. I have had a historical career so far. I'm not putting up average numbers year-in and year-out, and I think people got to stop expecting me to do a lot more than everyone else.''

I think he is more talking about the way his season is being portrayed than anything else. He isn't saying he isn't a good/great player, but that people either expect greatness or expect a "bust". Leave him alone and see how he plays and then evaluate his season based on the numbers, not on whether it lives up to previous expectations.

I agree, Frank can't seem to say the right thing.

BT: How will we know unless we try playing the big man at first? The numbers bear it out, don't they?

RichH55
09-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Every time he opens his mouth, he sticks his foot into it. I read the whole article - and I understand what he was saying. However, the soundbite will reverberate "I think people got to stop expecting me to do a lot more than everyone else.''

Um, Frank, I do expect you to do a lot more than everyone else. You are the veteran of this team. You are the best hitter. You should be the captain. You should be a leader. I do expect more from you than I do from any other player on this team. You are better than any player on this team. You want us to pay you more than everyone else next year (except Mags $14) I have ever right to be "expecting" you to do more.

****..You are a great hitter, but a humungous crybaby. Nobody likes a crybaby. Here's a suggestion for you. Go home, work on your defense. Work on your hitting. Come back a 1B who hits .280+ and I promise you you will find people love you the same way they did in the 90s. But if you come back hitting .250 and another manager says your defense is still not good enough to play 1B every day, you will find the fans still expect more out of you.

By the way, Paulie - we expect more from you as well. You have sucked far worse than Frank. The only difference is we hadn't been accustomed to years of outstanding performance from you and you don't bitch as much about things....

You read the whole quote...get whats he's saying...then bash the soundbite

At least you are consistent

RichH55
09-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Yeah Frank you punk! If only you had maybe worked on your hitting...hell why not bring back Walt in, at your own expense, maybe that would work.

And how dare he say he never wanted to play 1B! Remember when they asked him and he kept saying, NO! I'm sure Jerry played a role in that too, and that just shows how bad Frank is....I mean if a manager as great as Jerry could do that, well then its all on Frank.

He doesnt get along with managers, JM and Bevington...those are HOFers right there

RichH55
09-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I imagine you won't hear too much from the Frank supporters on this one. This is just another example of why Frank should not be a centerpiece to any organization, let alone the Sox. This is the same guy who said he was going to "set the tone" for the team by swinging for the fences everytime up, but at the same time doesn't want people to blame him when he has an average year (here we go with the stats) and the Sox end up being an average team. You can't have it both ways Frank. You're either a leader who takes the blame for the bad along with the praise for the good, or please do us a favor and finally **** for good.

You want a guy the opposite of Frank? Great Quotes and Low Production?

:walnuts
I'm the new Choice!

hose
09-25-2003, 10:14 PM

I am a Big Hurt supporter and don't have any problem with the quotes.

RKMeibalane
09-25-2003, 10:32 PM
All Frank meant by that quote was that people shouldn't look at his numbers and say that he's had a bad season because they may not match up with what he's done in the past. I think he also meant that people shouldn't expect him to continue doing more than everyone else, because he is thirty five years old, and the game may not be as easy for him as it was when he was twenty five.

Frank is notorious for making stupid and inapporpriate comments. I don't think this was one of them, however.

Just leave the man alone and let him hit. A baseball bat does not care about the disposition of the man who uses it, only that he uses it well, and Frank has done that for a long time. Period.

RichH55
09-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
All Frank meant by that quote was that people shouldn't look at his numbers and say that he's had a bad season because they may not match up with what he's done in the past. I think he also meant that people shouldn't expect him to continue doing more than everyone else, because he is thirty five years old, and the game may not be as easy for him as it was when he was twenty five.

Frank is notorious for making stupid and inapporpriate comments. I don't think this was one of them, however.

Just leave the man alone and let him hit. A baseball bat does not care about the disposition of the man who uses it, only that he uses it well, and Frank has done that for a long time. Period.

Can you win a pennant by being treated nicely by the media?

Give me Steve Carlton and Barry Bonds anyday over a quotable guy

RKMeibalane
09-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Can you win a pennant by being treated nicely by the media?

Give me Steve Carlton and Barry Bonds anyday over a quotable guy

I agree. I just think that the Frank-haters have taken another quote out of context. I would much rather have a Barry Bonds-type player on my team than someone who makes nice with the media.

Like I said earlier, I think people should just leave Frank alone and let him hit.

TommyJohn
09-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I agree. I just think that the Frank-haters have taken another quote out of context. I would much rather have a Barry Bonds-type player on my team than someone who makes nice with the media.

Like I said earlier, I think people should just leave Frank alone and let him hit.

:moron

Heh! Heh! Heh! Heeeeeeehhhh!!!!! Cackle!!
(Rubs hands together with glee.)

StepsInSC
09-25-2003, 11:40 PM
I fail to see anything wrong with these quotes. Its not a matter of Frank supporters having to find ways to support this, its about the bashers stretching this crap to mean something.

Bobby Thigpen
09-26-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm not stretching THIS particular quote to mean anything. What I am pointing out that this is an ongoing ordeal with Frank. He never takes any sort of blame for anything, yet wants desperately to be the centerpiece when things go right. You can't have it both ways as a leader. Frank is an extremely selfish individual and this quote, combined with the hundreds of others that he has made in the past, makes for a cumulative effect. I do not in my heart of hearts ever believe that the Sox will win anything having to rely on Frank Thomas. He isn't a leader, and while he and his supporters keep trying to say he doesn't want to be, he constantly rallies in the media to become one. He either needs to shut up or go away.

And the first base thing is absolutely hillarious. Here's a guy (sorry John Madden for borrowing that) that wanted out of playing first not very long ago, but has a couple of hot streaks when he plays there and now he and everyone that follows him screams that he should play there more. HE WANTED OUT OF PLAYING FIRST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Now he wants to. This isn't JM screwing Frank. This is Frank's past screwing Frank.

MisterB
09-26-2003, 10:38 AM
And the first base thing is absolutely hillarious. Here's a guy (sorry John Madden for borrowing that) that wanted out of playing first not very long ago, but has a couple of hot streaks when he plays there and now he and everyone that follows him screams that he should play there more. HE WANTED OUT OF PLAYING FIRST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Now he wants to. This isn't JM screwing Frank. This is Frank's past screwing Frank.

One big problem Frank has is the inability to tune out negative comments from the media. Early in his career, Frank was adamant about not being a DH. Criticism of his defense grew over time, and he eventually decided that he wanted to be a DH exclusively (despite the fact that he performs better at the plate when he's playing in the field). A similar thing happened with people complaining about him taking 'too many' walks or not hitting enough home runs, especially with runners on base. So now he decides that he needs to drive the ball (i.e. go for the extra base hit, not quite 'swing for the fences' as you state), instead of going the other way for a single or taking a walk. I find it interesting that some of the things people rip on Frank for are things he's changed in response to people ripping on him for other things - he's basically screwed either way. I'm all for Frank saying 'I'm going to play the game the way I play it, and if you're not satisfied, so what'. If he'd done that all along, he'd be much better off.