PDA

View Full Version : SOX Sept of 2000...Anyone remember if Radio Stations had parties for the SOX?


Hangar18
09-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Im curious. If I remember correctly, the Sox went Quietly into the playoffs, without any stations Doing anything Bombastic. Am I correct?

ewokpelts
09-25-2003, 12:14 PM
nope...no parties...only empty blue seat jokes
Gene

Hangar18
09-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Interesting. Thats what I remember also. Anyone else?

Brian26
09-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Hangar, what do you mean by stations?

The flagship station, AM 1000, did a ton of stuff surrounding the Sox. Not sure why any other station would even care.

I think Lou Cannelis and his afternoon partner (what the heck was his name? Big?) did some stuff from Riley's daughter in Oak Lawn. The morning team did a live remote from the Cell on the morning of the first playoff game.

I'm assumuing that there are stations doing Cubs stuff right now. Other than WGN?

thepaulbowski
09-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Im curious. If I remember correctly, the Sox went Quietly into the playoffs, without any stations Doing anything Bombastic. Am I correct?

I remember some station (not ESPN 1000) doing live stuff from Harry Carey's restaraunt around the end of the season.

Hangar18
09-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hangar, what do you mean by stations?

The flagship station, AM 1000, did a ton of stuff surrounding the Sox. Not sure why any other station would even care.

I think Lou Cannelis and his afternoon partner (what the heck was his name? Big?) did some stuff from Riley's daughter in Oak Lawn. The morning team did a live remote from the Cell on the morning of the first playoff game.

I'm assumuing that there are stations doing Cubs stuff right now. Other than WGN?

I just heard WXRT promoting their Cub Bash just now. Sounds pretty cool actually, at Barleycorn, 2 bands, lots of beer and food giveaways. Wish theyd done that for the Sox this year/2000.
Im going to have to give them a Call this afternoon and chew them a new one again I guess .......

The Score is doing a Live Remote from HiTops, making it sound like its going to be MardiGras, wild, crazy good times. theyre promoting the hell out of that. Wish they wouldve done that last week for the SOX also or in 2000. FOX and WGN are in
HIGHALERT STATUS, theyve got remote Trucks EVERYWHERE tonite and tomorrow, on street corners. Wish they wouldve done that for the SOX/in 2000

Brian26
09-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Well, that's all very interesting.

Keep in mind where Barleycorn and Hi Tops are located. You and I know those are kick ass bars with plenty of hot ass.

Now imagine the 'XRT throwing a Sox bash at "Jimbo's".
Nah, doesn't sound quite as cool.

Hangar18
09-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Well, that's all very interesting.

Keep in mind where Barleycorn and Hi Tops are located. You and I know those are kick ass bars with plenty of hot ass.

Now imagine the 'XRT throwing a Sox bash at "Jimbo's".
Nah, doesn't sound quite as cool.

Mr Reinsdorf....Did you just read this?

kittle42
09-25-2003, 02:06 PM
As much as it aggravates me, as well, I think we need to get over pointing out how the media loves the Cubs so much, often to the detriment of the Sox. The reason our boys are ignored is because Cub "fans" outnumber Sox fans 8 to 1 in this city, at least. The media gives people what they want, and they want the Cubs.

Despite all this, I will be at local Wrigley establishments cheering on the Cub-looted Pirates this weekend.

Go....um...um...um..............Jeff Reboulet!

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 02:37 PM
'XRT is just going where the $ is, that's all. For every diehard Sox fan they may alienate in the process, they'll possibly win over 10 know-nothings who just want to baste in the Eternal Pleasures of the World's Biggest Beer Garden and possibly see an actual meaningful game at the Urinal.

It's simple capitalism 101; how can anyone fault them for that?

dirty_k
09-25-2003, 02:51 PM
being thrown for the Sox. But I did like Lynn Brahmer saying "the Cubs are getting three extra games this year".

Hangar18
09-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
...... The reason our boys are ignored is because Cub "fans" outnumber Sox fans 8 to 1 in this city, at least. The media gives people what they want, and they want the Cubs.



Umm No. The reason Cub fans "Outnumber" sox fans is because the Media KEEP IGNORING THE WHITE SOX. The media, not realizing the disparity theyve caused, Then Cover the Cubs even more because .... "cub 'fans' outnumber Sox fans 8 to 1 in this city". Its a vicious vicious circle

kittle42
09-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Maybe you're right, but I question how long it would take to have any effect if the media reversed the emphasis of its coverage of each team. I would say it would still take several years to get any interest revved up on the south side, and casual fans would still be reluctant to go to the Cell because "where are we all gonna drink afterwards?"

Hangar18
09-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Maybe you're right, but I question how long it would take to have any effect if the media reversed the emphasis of its coverage of each team. I would say it would still take several years to get any interest revved up on the south side, and casual fans would still be reluctant to go to the Cell because "where are we all gonna drink afterwards?"


Exactly. thats what makes me so mad, this bogus disparity makes it harder every year for the sox to "compete" in this market. This division title, courtesy of the Pirates & Reds, will now allow the cubs to live off the fumes of this season for about
8 more years, as Mike Kiley and Mariotti talk about that "magical" year, and dustys snowflakes, and other assorted bs made to sell papers and ad time, all the while, attracting japanese businessmen, pseudo hollywood stars, frat boys and the lincoln park Trixies to love the team even more. Its funny, but Hillary Clintons New Book was CENSORED in China, and she was pretty upset about it (rightly so). SHe pointed out Very Correctly ......
"Why does the (media) control what is being fed to the population? TO CONTROL THEIR THOUGHTS and Actions...thats why" something to think about.

steff
09-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Well, that's all very interesting.

Keep in mind where Barleycorn and Hi Tops are located. You and I know those are kick ass bars with plenty of hot ass.

Now imagine the 'XRT throwing a Sox bash at "Jimbo's".
Nah, doesn't sound quite as cool.



Not unless I'm there anyway.. :D:

For the record.. we had a kick arse time there last night. It is what you make it.

Brian26
09-25-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by steff
Not unless I'm there anyway.. :D:

For the record.. we had a kick arse time there last night. It is what you make it.

Honey, you could make Omega Pancake House a good time.

Still, people have a misconception that a couple of bars or a restaurant next to the Cell would change the entire perception of the neighborhood. That's far from true. Wrigleyville is a way of life. It's not just one or two bars, or even 20. There are hundreds of places to go within a 10 minute walk or a 5-minute cab-ride. Plus, hundreds of thousands of people live and work around there. It's a state of mind and a way-of-life. It can't be replicated down south by putting up McCuddy's 2 and a Chili's. Is someone from the northside going to pay for a 20 dollar cab ride to just hang out around Comiskey, even when a game isn't going on? It's just not going to happen, ever. It's just on the wrong side of town, which is unfortunate.

maurice
09-25-2003, 06:54 PM
By far, the number one complaint about the Cell made by casual Chicago baseball fans is that there are no bars and restaurants within two blocks of the park. They're too scared of the S. Side to walk two blocks + 20 feet to Jimbos, or half a mile to the many other good places. A strip mall or mixed-use development across 35th Street from the park would help much more than the expensive architectual changes to the park proposed here and elsewhere.

Cab rides and distances to work really are non-issues. The distance to the Cell from downtown is about the same as the distance to the Urinal. A cab is not necessary, since the same el line services both parks and the entire downtown area.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Hanger:

Simple solution to your media problem for the Sox...

JUST WIN BABY.

Get to a World Series and your media troubles are over.

Lip

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Score is doing a Live Remote from HiTops,

One good thing about the remote is that Larry Horse will be there.

cheeses_h_rice
09-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
One good thing about the remote is that Larry Horse will be there.

Who is Larry Horse?

ChiSox21
09-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Larry Horse: this has to be the funniest story ever. One friday afternoon over the summer i was listening to the score and they were ripping on Sosa. This cub fan calls in and says "Larry" instead of Terry and says that sammy he is a great human being blah blah blah and that he can't believe hes ripping on him. Then Borse interupts him and says wait a second what did u call me? And he says Larry? Larry Horse and that name has stuck ever since.

ewokpelts
09-25-2003, 11:25 PM
From Hanger18:

Its funny, but Hillary Clintons New Book was CENSORED in China, and she was pretty upset about it (rightly so). SHe pointed out Very Correctly ......
"Why does the (media) control what is being fed to the population? TO CONTROL THEIR THOUGHTS and Actions...thats why" something to think about.


This is coming from Hillary Clinton, a scru.....sorry, Yank-me fan.

Gene

woodenleg
09-26-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Umm No. The reason Cub fans "Outnumber" sox fans is because the Media KEEP IGNORING THE WHITE SOX. The media, not realizing the disparity theyve caused, Then Cover the Cubs even more because .... "cub 'fans' outnumber Sox fans 8 to 1 in this city". Its a vicious vicious circle

A lot of people who work in Chicago media are not from Chicago. The same goes for a lot of North Siders.

People graduate from schools in Michigan or Iowa, where they've watched WGN on cable.

Everywhere you go, there are Cub fans.

I lived in Nebraska for five years. I showed up at my new job, and who should be in the cubicle next to me but a Cub fan. A Cub fan who had never set foot in Chicago. I would get asked, "ooo, so you're a Cub fan??" "No, I'm a Sox fan." I always got the same reaction - the corners of their mouth would sink downward.

And they think we're all scary thugs who go to games in a "bad neighborhood". Some of them even still bring up 1919.

jortafan
09-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
This is coming from Hillary Clinton, a scru.....sorry, Yank-me fan.

Gene

Hillary is NOT a Yankees fan. She's just a political opportunist who doesn't know anything about baseball because she grew up following the Cubs.

ewokpelts
09-26-2003, 11:34 AM
jortafan,

I know that....hence my "correcting" myself. Suprised she aint a bills fan.....
Gene

Dan H
09-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hanger:

Simple solution to your media problem for the Sox...

JUST WIN BABY.

Get to a World Series and your media troubles are over.

Lip

There you go, Lip, defending the media again.

I'll tell you what the media did in 2000. They couldn't run enough stories bad mouthing Sox fans in 2000, especially in September.

I care more about how they treat us than the team. And their treatment of Sox fans is condescending, starting with Ron Rapoport.

joecrede
09-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
There you go, Lip, defending the media again.

I'll tell you what the media did in 2000. They couldn't run enough stories bad mouthing Sox fans in 2000, especially in September.

I care more about how they treat us than the team. And their treatment of Sox fans is condescending, starting with Ron Rapoport.

Couldn't agree more. The media was tripping over themselves pointing out the empty blue seats in September of '00. Not surprisingly, the ~40% attendance increase over '99 was never mentioned.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2003, 01:06 PM
Folks:

Just a few thoughts.

One I'm not defending the media, I simply think that many of you are far, far too "conspiracy minded," and play every incident no matter how small as being a "plot" by the media to "get the Sox" and "insult" their fans.

I think the media frankly has more important things to do with their time.

Also the bottom line is that in 2000 the Sox were a fluke, most people (including many fans and the White Sox organization themselves said so. Remember the quotes from Sox management saying the team was "a year ahead of schedule...") realized this and it was shown to be the case in the ADS and in 2001.

I guarantee you had the Sox gone to the World Sries there wouldn't be any "empty blue seat" columns or comments.

Ergo my original comment, actually WIN SOMETHING, get to a World Sries and your perceived "media troubles," are over.

Do the Cubs get the same mandate...absolutely not, but that's life in Chicago...deal with it. Win something and you'll get the respect that the organization deserves.

Lip

Iwritecode
09-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
A lot of people who work in Chicago media are not from Chicago. The same goes for a lot of North Siders.

People graduate from schools in Michigan or Iowa, where they've watched WGN on cable.

Everywhere you go, there are Cub fans.

I lived in Nebraska for five years. I showed up at my new job, and who should be in the cubicle next to me but a Cub fan. A Cub fan who had never set foot in Chicago. I would get asked, "ooo, so you're a Cub fan??" "No, I'm a Sox fan." I always got the same reaction - the corners of their mouth would sink downward.

And they think we're all scary thugs who go to games in a "bad neighborhood". Some of them even still bring up 1919.

This makes me wonder which of these statements is true:

"The Cubs are popular because they get a lot of media attention."

OR

"The Cubs get a lot of media attention because they are popular."


I'm thinking it's the former rather than the latter...

Irishsox1
09-26-2003, 02:23 PM
The 2000 Sox blew away the division some time in May and were never really threatened for the lead. The 2003 Cubs have been in and out of first place all year and are tied for first with 3 games to go. The Cubs are in a more exciting penant race that the 2000 Sox and that is why they are getting parties and bigger coverage. The 2000 Sox would have received more parties and press during the playoff run had they not been totally embarased in the playoffs.

Dan H
09-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

Just a few thoughts.

One I'm not defending the media, I simply think that many of you are far, far too "conspiracy minded," and play every incident no matter how small as being a "plot" by the media to "get the Sox" and "insult" their fans.

I think the media frankly has more important things to do with their time.

Also the bottom line is that in 2000 the Sox were a fluke, most people (including many fans and the White Sox organization themselves said so. Remember the quotes from Sox management saying the team was "a year ahead of schedule...") realized this and it was shown to be the case in the ADS and in 2001.

I guarantee you had the Sox gone to the World Sries there wouldn't be any "empty blue seat" columns or comments.

Ergo my original comment, actually WIN SOMETHING, get to a World Sries and your perceived "media troubles," are over.

Do the Cubs get the same mandate...absolutely not, but that's life in Chicago...deal with it. Win something and you'll get the respect that the organization deserves.

Lip

Lip:

I am not conspiracy minded except when it comes to the JFK assasination and I have good reason not to believe the official government verdict there.

My main point is this: there shouldn't be any attendance stories in the first place. The media in this town takes one stupid stance: That if someone builds something, like a baseball team, we peons ( or fans) should march into the stadium they built to see the team they built like a bunch of mindless sheep.

My other contention is that the media has not looked into or considered the history of the club and why the fan base has eroded. We just get mindless lectures on loyalty and mindless columns asking for our opinions when they really don't want those opinions.

Finally, attendance has improved, not at the level the Sox or the media wanted it to, but it has improved. I truly think they started winning back some fans this year, but that effort won't mean much if they don't have an active off season.

I once really liked reading the sports pages at one time because I thought sportswriters identified with the fans more. Now they are just compromised by the media's interlocking interests with major league sports.