PDA

View Full Version : #1 culprit in 2003....inconsistent offense

captain54
09-25-2003, 02:59 AM
If I were Kenny Williams, I would do all I can to figure out why the Sox offense was so unbelievably inconsisent in 2003....to me, that is the key to why things fell apart...

I can't ever remember a team this inconsistent from one game to the next offensively....wait, I take that back....the Sox in the 2000 playoffs....

What is it about this group of players that goes from killing opponents to playing their brand of "Corpseball"...its been a trend since the 2000 playoffs....totally choke and die offensively when it most counts...

the Sox go to NYC and beat the crap out of the ball, but can't beat Tampa, Detroit, and Cleveland earlier in the year.....I can't remember how many great ballgames were pitched where the Sox lost 1-0, 2-1, 2-0......

all the pitching in the world isnt going to help if this doesnt get straightened out for 2004...a new manager might be the key, but if it isn't, we're screwed unless someone can get to the bottom of this disease....

jabrch
09-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by captain54
If I were Kenny Williams, I would do all I can to figure out why the Sox offense was so unbelievably inconsisent in 2003....to me, that is the key to why things fell apart...

I can't ever remember a team this inconsistent from one game to the next offensively....wait, I take that back....the Sox in the 2000 playoffs....

What is it about this group of players that goes from killing opponents to playing their brand of "Corpseball"...its been a trend since the 2000 playoffs....totally choke and die offensively when it most counts...

the Sox go to NYC and beat the crap out of the ball, but can't beat Tampa, Detroit, and Cleveland earlier in the year.....I can't remember how many great ballgames were pitched where the Sox lost 1-0, 2-1, 2-0......

all the pitching in the world isnt going to help if this doesnt get straightened out for 2004...a new manager might be the key, but if it isn't, we're screwed unless someone can get to the bottom of this disease....

I know nothing more than any of us - Most of us are in that clubhouse on a regular basis to tell. But my guess is on-the-field leadership. We don't have a captain or a team leader. Our best hitters lead by example (a good thing) but do not fire guys up. We could use a Carlton Fisk type player who does the job, but also gets on guys when they don't. We couild kill for a Don Mattingly at 1B or a Pete Rose in the OF. They guys who made the most to hit this year, Frank, PK and Mags just aren't the type of guys that get people going. We don't need all of them to be that way, but one of them should. I imagine all three are not back next year. (about 30mm total) I just hope we eventually find that leader on the field.

soxnut
09-25-2003, 09:16 AM
I agree about the offense. To me that was the only thing holding this team back. I've never seen an offense so inconsistent. It seemed to start during the 2000 season. They discovered that they could hit alot of home runs, and kept trying to do that.

I remember the game against Minn when Abbott hit that game winning home run. I was saying to a friend, just before that homer, that this team hits too many home runs, and if they keep doing that it's going to hurt them in the long run. Next thing you know, he hits one out to win the game, and I said, "this teams' in trouble"....... :(:

They really do need a "Charlie Hustle" type guy on this team--a guy that hits for average and really doesn't know what a home run is, but can get on, get em over and get em in. And also he must have a little personality.

Also, I hope that they keep Carl Everett, because he can come through in the clutch and dosen't swing for the fences every time up. Oh well, lets see what KW has up his sleeve. :D: