PDA

View Full Version : Being a Chicago White Sox fan

carltonfisk
08-29-2001, 01:37 PM
I recently visited my old college roommate who lives in Pittsburgh. He admits that the Pirates suck and loves to give me **** about the Sox. However, I always lay into the Cubs and how they suck. I've especially been enjoying their 2nd half demise. I guess I've been so brutal that he asked me why I had to say those things. They're from Chicago, so "obviously" I should want them to do well a little bit. Of course, I had to give him the story behind being a Sox fan. It's either one team or another. It's either a smelly beer garden and drunk, stupid fans, or a real major league baseball team with fans that care. You can't go both ways. Being right out of college, he's looking for a job here in Chi-town. Maybe he'll realize what I'm talking about after a year or so here.

CubKiller
08-29-2001, 01:44 PM
Try and make sure your buddy doesn't head down the wrong path, or else you will have no choice but to end the friendship.

Originally being a Pirate fan, he should automatically be anti-Cub. But you never really know for sure.

Major League Baseball: 8.1 miles South of Wrigley

chisoxt
08-29-2001, 05:05 PM
It's a hopeless cause. Ofcourse, being out of college, he'll have to live in Wrigleyville. And then' he'll get sucked into the vortext odf other brain-dead cub fans and blindly follow others to the north side beer garden.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
It's a hopeless cause. Ofcourse, being out of college, he'll have to live in Wrigleyville. And then' he'll get sucked into the vortext odf other brain-dead cub fans and blindly follow others to the north side beer garden.

This is so true. When I was dating the future Mrs. PaleHoseGeorge, she had just moved from Michigan to share an apartment in Lakeview (just 2 miles from the Urinal) with her high school girlfriend. Her roommate had moved to Chicago a couple of years earlier and had become a big Cubs fan, regularly attending games and getting drunk with her friends. Needless to say, she knew not one damned thing about baseball.

It was only the intervention of ME that kept the future Mrs. PHG from becoming a Cubs fan. I set her straight and we've been happily married ever since!

See--a happy ending!

FarWestChicago
08-29-2001, 07:59 PM
It was only the intervention of ME that kept the future Mrs. PHG from becoming a Cubs fan. I set her straight and we've been happily married ever since!

And I'm glad the Boss, I mean Mrs. PHG, sees the value of allowing you to provide this web site to Sox fans the world over. :)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2001, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

And I'm glad the Boss, I mean Mrs. PHG, sees the value of allowing you to provide this web site to Sox fans the world over. :)

Yes--and thanks to her acquiescence, we now have two lovely children who are being properly raised as Sox Fans, too. That means I've had a hand in developing THREE new Sox Fans in this world.

That's roughly two more than Reinsdorf has.

"What, don't you like Flying Elvis Night?"
:reinsy

Dadawg_77
08-29-2001, 08:12 PM
Well I lived about five or four miles directly west of most overrated beer garden, swarmed with flubbers. But still became a die hard sox fan, hel when my grade school in 89 allow kids to where cub color, i chosed to wear my catholic school uni, and SFG hat.

ihatethecubs
08-30-2001, 01:03 AM
i never go north of madison street. the northside sucks its all gay and artsy and theres all these coffee places and weird stores. we should seperate from the northside and have a civil war to become our own city.
and i hate how people who arent from chicago think of chicago. "oh youre from chicago? so you must eat deep dish pizza and listen to blues. and you must be a huge cubbies fan. do you live in the sears tower? so what do you do for fun, hang out at navy pier?"

FarWestChicago
08-30-2001, 01:08 AM
and i hate how people who arent from chicago think of chicago. "oh youre from chicago? so you must eat deep dish pizza and listen to blues. and you must be a huge cubbies fan. do you live in the sears tower? so what do you do for fun, hang out at navy pier?"

LOL! That's nothing. You should live in California. I can't tell you how many times people have responded to my telling them I grew up in Chicago with, "Oh, so you're from the East Coast".

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2001, 01:35 AM
Having literally raised myself the huge sports fanatic that I am, I am proud to call myself a Sox fan! Frank Thomas, Ozzie, Robin, Sgt. Karko, and now Carlos Lee. All these names, plus others that have doaned (or still doan) the Sox jersey all possess their own unique spot in my heart and have their own meaning. I have been a fan since the earliest Frank Thomas days in 1990, when I was almost nine, and my love for the greatest franchise (take that, Yankee fans!) in MLB history has grown ever since!

And, above all, the thrust of all Sox fans is to HATE THE NORTHSIDE MINOR LEAGUE TEAM! At least WE have a MAJOR LEAGUE team!

White Sox Fanship......Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

Heather the Redbird

Mathew
08-30-2001, 03:53 AM
Hey how about a Sox fan in Canada? I have made two little brothers Sox fans (although on is a F-ing Royce Clayton fan?) and hey I now hate the Cubs which never happened untill I came to this website.

Kilroy
08-30-2001, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
And, above all, the thrust of all Sox fans is to HATE THE NORTHSIDE MINOR LEAGUE TEAM!

While all true Sox fans enjoy Cub failure, don't make that your main focus. Cub fans have been spreading the lie that Sox fans love to hate the Cubs more than they love the Sox for years.

That's just part of their arrogance in that they think that they have the most fans of all teams, and that Sox fans have a complex about the Cubs.

While I know your intentions are good, just make sure you have your ducks in a row...

Moses_Scurry
08-30-2001, 07:56 AM
In about a month, I will be moving from the cozy village of Schaumburg (worlds largest stripmall!) into hostile enemy territory! A couple friends and I got a place about 6 blocks from Wigley. I'd like to say that I'll have Sox flags flying outside and stickers on my car, but I don't want any drunks messin' with my stuff!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2001, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

While all true Sox fans enjoy Cub failure, don't make that your main focus. Cub fans have been spreading the lie that Sox fans love to hate the Cubs more than they love the Sox for years.

That's just part of their arrogance in that they think that they have the most fans of all teams, and that Sox fans have a complex about the Cubs.

While I know your intentions are good, just make sure you have your ducks in a row...

Well put Kilroy. Cubs fans invent dozens of excuses for their team's losing. They've perverted the whole point to playing the game.

If Sox Fans care at all about them, it's for amusement purposes only. Sort of like "There but for the grace of God go I."

If winning is what you seek, you're a Sox Fan first. Don't let those morons tell you otherwise.

fado
08-30-2001, 09:38 AM
I have relatives that live a Alabama and of course, the love the Cubs. But one of my younger cousins allowed me to take him to a Sox game. He had a great time - and proceeded to buy a Sox hat. And then professed his love for the Sox. On the walk back to my house after the game, I took him into Grandstand and bought him a Mags jersey.

He called me from Bama and couldn't stop telling me how the kids in his school love his jersey. So I'm hoping that I may start a plague in Huntsville and turn that stinkin' Cubs infested town into a Southern South Side!

Iwritecode
08-30-2001, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

LOL! That's nothing. You should live in California. I can't tell you how many times people have responded to my telling them I grew up in Chicago with, "Oh, so you're from the East Coast".

Chicago? Oh yea, it's that state right there next to the big lake.
What's the capital of Chicago again?

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2001, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by fado
He called me from Bama and couldn't stop telling me how the kids in his school love his jersey. So I'm hoping that I may start a plague in Huntsville and turn that stinkin' Cubs infested town into a Southern South Side!

Shouldn't Alabama have more Sox fans than Cub fans, due to their affiliation with us via the Birmingham Barons?

Heather the Redbird