PDA

View Full Version : Thomas' last game?

MarqSox
09-24-2003, 08:25 PM
I expect Thomas to be back with the Sox next season, but there's a fairly decent chance that he won't ... did the fans do anything nice today to thank him, such as a standing O?

JRIG
09-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I expect Thomas to be back with the Sox next season, but there's a fairly decent chance that he won't ... did the fans do anything nice today to thank him, such as a standing O?

I'm sure they might have liked to, but Manuel pinch hit Armando Rios for Thomas in his last scheduled at bat.

TDog
09-24-2003, 10:56 PM
I wonder if Thomas opted out of his last at bat because he didn't appreciate the fan reaction to his last home at bat last year.

DSpivack
09-24-2003, 11:00 PM
He was a lot better this year than last, to say the least.

Despite the team's paltry performance this past season, I think the fans would have given the Big Hurt what he deserves: a big standing O; just in case this was his last game in Chicago.

Of course, I went to the Blazers-Bulls game last January at the UC, supposedly Pip's last game in Chicago; hehe.

I hope he comes back.

Jerry_Manuel
09-24-2003, 11:02 PM
This is so lame.

While I disagree with Manuel pinch hitting Rios for him, how many times are we going to do this?

Last season in his final home at-bat the crowd gave him a big ovation, since it was clear the DSC would be used and it maybe his last game. Since his contract is setup with year to year options, is this gonna come up at the end of every season? My god.

Deadguy
09-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by TDog
I wonder if Thomas opted out of his last at bat because he didn't appreciate the fan reaction to his last home at bat last year.

What happened?

I thought the reaction was somewhat mixed, yet mostly positive.

MarqSox
09-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Since his contract is setup with year to year options, is this gonna come up at the end of every season?
Well, yes.

TDog
09-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
What happened?

I thought the reaction was somewhat mixed, yet mostly positive.

I wasn't at the last home game of 2002, but I heard that Thomas said he didn't appreciate the warm reception he got from the fans. (In court this would be inadmissible hearsay, but this is sports so we're taking our journalistic standards down a couple of notches.)

voodoochile
09-25-2003, 12:11 AM
This is so lame.

While I disagree with Manuel pinch hitting Rios for him, how many times are we going to do this?

Last season in his final home at-bat the crowd gave him a big ovation, since it was clear the DSC would be used and it maybe his last game. Since his contract is setup with year to year options, is this gonna come up at the end of every season? My god.

Well, hopefully the Sox have a real manager next year and it won't come up again...

RichH55
09-25-2003, 12:48 AM
This is so lame.

Giving a guy a Standing O once a year just in case....This is so horrible? Do your hands hurt from last year or something?

ChiSoxBobette
09-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
We never got the chance Manuel took him out for a pitch hitter - Armando Rios no less. What a bush thing to do to Frank, way to go Manuel. Manuel probably thought it would be his last shot at Big Frank so he took it.

BeerHandle
09-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Who cares about standing O's? I would like to see Thomas back at his $6.0 million. For the numbers he put up, he is a lot cheaper then a lot of other DH's. If I had it my way, I would trade Kornerko, play Thomas at 1B and have Hot Carl be our DH. I guess that is why I'm not a manager.