PDA

View Full Version : Robbie plans off season workout

hose
09-24-2003, 07:25 PM
On today's pre-game show Dave Wills asked Bruce Levine who he thought the Sox should try and resign for next year and Levine said Colon, Colon, Colon.

Next Robbie Alomar and second base came up and Bruce said that Aaron Miles's defense is very shaky and Willie Harris has trouble offensively. Levine then mentioned that Robbie told him that he plans to commit himself in the off season to get in the best shape he possibly can and to finish off the last years of his career strong.

Sounds like Alomar wants to get back to being one of the best second baseman in the game again.

I would like to see him do it on the South side.

voodoochile
09-24-2003, 07:34 PM
I want Alomar back too, but some how I think today's showing by Harris is going to make some people think twice about whether 2B is a need position...

Randar68
09-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I want Alomar back too, but some how I think today's showing by Harris is going to make some people think twice about whether 2B is a need position...

Hopefully not the ones in charge, because if they're wrong, and they think Harris/Miles is the answer, there is no Back-up plan in AA or AAA now.

akingamongstmen
09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Robbie plays the game as it's meant to be played. He still plays above average defense, he moves runners along, he bunts (which is a lost art), and he generally makes the players around him better. SIGN HIM!!!!! I, for one, would love to watch him make his way to the Hall of Fame on a day-by-day basis.

Daver
09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Hopefully not the ones in charge, because if they're wrong, and they think Harris/Miles is the answer, there is no Back-up plan in AA or AAA now.

There is no back up in high A either for that matter.

Randar68
09-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
Robbie plays the game as it's meant to be played. He still plays above average defense, he moves runners along, he bunts (which is a lost art), and he generally makes the players around him better. SIGN HIM!!!!! I, for one, would love to watch him make his way to the Hall of Fame on a day-by-day basis.

Robbie leads the team in sac bunts and it's not even close. He's been here for what, half the season?

Nick@Nite
09-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by hose
On today's pre-game show Dave Wills asked Bruce Levine who he thought the Sox should try and resign for next year and Levine said Colon, Colon, Colon.

Next Robbie Alomar and second base came up and Bruce said that Aaron Miles's defense is very shaky and Willie Harris has trouble offensively. Levine then mentioned that Robbie told him that he plans to commit himself in the off season to get in the best shape he possibly can and to finish off the last years of his career strong.

Sounds like Alomar wants to get back to being one of the best second baseman in the game again.

Me too!

After Robbie became persona non grata in NYC, his comments would be hard to immediately dismiss as disingenuous.

hose
09-24-2003, 07:57 PM

Look at the results of Big Hurt's off season training.

Alomar mentioned that his strength wasn't there for him the last couple of years. The drop in offensive numbers are real obvious when you look at Alomar's production from his last year in Cleveland to his NY/Sox years.

Two years ago Alomar was being called one of the greatest second baseman ever. I think he wants to try and reclaim some of that notoriety.

JRIG
09-24-2003, 08:02 PM

And ignore the other 304 at bats of his career and Harris' .498 career OPS?

duke of dorwood
09-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Its no choice sign Alomar - we have enough .230 hitters (Harris)

voodoochile
09-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
And ignore the other 304 at bats of his career and Harris' .498 career OPS?

:reinsy
"Hi, have you heard of me? I run this team and the only stat I care about is how much ROI I can generate every year. My partners love me and the fans are crazy, so who cares what they want..."

jabrch
09-24-2003, 08:27 PM
but that's 3.5MM at least. I know we can not afford everyone we want back. We can not afford Frank, Robbie, Carl, Carlos, Mags Colon and Valentin. We can't get rid of Koch and Konerko assumedly without taking on other bad salary.

I just don't see an easy way out of this. I wouldn't want to be Kenny this winter.

ncfan
09-24-2003, 11:20 PM

It might be worth a try for Harris at shortstop. He has the speed, range and hopefully the arm for the posistion. He
would bring another dimension to the infield, if Alomar returns.
And he does put the bat on the ball, a lot . It is just not to the right places. That comes from not being used enough. He is
a natural infielder, with a lot of enthusiam. .

JRIG
09-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by ncfan
It might be worth a try for Harris at shortstop. He has the speed, range and hopefully the arm for the posistion. He
would bring another dimension to the infield, if Alomar returns.
And he does put the bat on the ball, a lot . It is just not to the right places. That comes from not being used enough. He is
a natural infielder, with a lot of enthusiam. .

He certainly would add an element of non-production to the infield.

Harris has struck out 54 times in 308 career at bats. That projects to about 110 Ks over the course of a season. That's hardly what I'd call putting the bat on the ball. And for a guy that doesn't walk and doesn't hit for power (.498 career OPS!) that's not a good combo.

LASOXFAN
09-24-2003, 11:57 PM
Feels like the Sox need to choose between re-tooling/re-building and going for it again full steam ahead. If it's the latter then sign Alomar. If not, then give Willie the experience (along with dumping Konerko, Thomas, Valentin and saying so long to Flash and Colon).

BTW, wasn't Willie ranked as the top prospect in the Orioles organization at one time?

gosox41
09-24-2003, 11:57 PM

I want him back, but for the right price. No sense tying up millions in payroll for a guy with no SLG% and an avetage OBP.

Bob

pudge
09-25-2003, 03:03 AM
Look at the results of Big Hurt's off season training.

Oh great, just what we need, another guy who swings for the fences.

I do want Robbie back because of his D, I just hope he can hit above .250. More like .300 would help.

thepaulbowski
09-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Daver
There is no back up in high A either for that matter.

How about Vina from St. Louis, I believe he is going to be a free agent & the Cardinals have Bo Hart waiting in the wings?

thepaulbowski
09-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
BTW, wasn't Willie ranked as the top prospect in the Orioles organization at one time?

I don't put much into those rankings....remember Ruffcorn? Where is he now?

kempsted
09-25-2003, 11:17 AM
I am amazed at people complaining about Robbie. When we did our offensive collapse at the end he was the only one producing. He is still a smart baseball player which is something that is seen by the plays he makes and the players he knows better than to try to make ( a big problem in the stretch for some of our other players). He works the count, works the basepaths. Makes pitchers nervous when he takes a lead and he knows how to bunt. We need this guy. He is a classic #2 for the lineup. We need a guy for the leadoff spot so he can bat second.

JRIG
09-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
I am amazed at people complaining about Robbie. When we did our offensive collapse at the end he was the only one producing.

Since the 3rd game of the Twins series at Comiskey (12 games) Alomar has gone 11-42 (.261) with only two extra base hits (both doubles), 4 BB and 6 Ks. If that's considered good production, we'd be in an "offensive collapse" all season long.

BeerHandle
09-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Bring back Robbie. That gives Harris another year to learn under one of the best second basemen in history. Harris will be agood bench player because he can play two postions and can be used as a pinch hitter.

RichH55
09-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Oh great, just what we need, another guy who swings for the fences.

I do want Robbie back because of his D, I just hope he can hit above .250. More like .300 would help.

How about he just get on base.....

RichH55
09-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I don't put much into those rankings....remember Ruffcorn? Where is he now?

A) There is a difference between a pitching prospect and a hitting prospect

B) Despite problems with prospects at large....>Ruffcorn would be proof that no prospect ever pans out? A bitof a stretch

RichH55
09-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Bring back Robbie. That gives Harris another year to learn under one of the best second basemen in history. Harris will be agood bench player because he can play two postions and can be used as a pinch hitter.

Utility Guy....His present and future