PDA

View Full Version : Quotable Harry Caray

Jim Joyce
09-24-2003, 05:30 PM
My favorite Harry Caray quote was his reference to Lee BEE BEE Richard. He's a wizard on the base paths but a butcher with the glove...and after Richard booted an easy double play ball Harry remarked,
"if I had a gun, I'd shoot him"

voodoochile
09-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Welcome Aboard! :D:

Viva Magglio
09-24-2003, 08:00 PM
I am too young to have heard this at the time, but I have heard the best Harryism of all time took place during the early '70s when the Sox were playing at Kansas City with very hot temperatures. After perhaps a Falstaff (that is what Harry drank at the time, right?), or two, or three, or more, Harry says "It's so hot the third baseman is Melton."

LASOXFAN
09-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Or how about when Harry turned to Piersall and said "Jimmy, you're nuts."

"Yeah, and I've got the papers to prove it." said Jimmy.

Those two are largely responsible for me being a fan of the Sox. Good old channel 44...

RichH55
09-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Is it an urban legend that at one point Harry said something like(after an error)...."Tell me Steve, how does a Mexican lose a ball in the sun?"

I honestly don't know, don't mean to flame, but someone I know tells it all the time and I was wondering if there was any validity

Vsahajpal
09-25-2003, 05:19 AM
It's true. The quote was:

"Aw, how could he (Jorge Orta) lose the ball in the sun, he's from Mexico."

THE_HOOTER
09-25-2003, 09:02 AM
Once in the Houston Astrodome, Arnie Harris was scoping the crowd during the 8th inning of a Cub/ Astros blowout game.

They found a couple making out, and Harry said "Hey Steve, I bet he kisses her on the strikes and she kisses him on the balls!"

I still laugh when I think about it.

There was silence in the booth for quite a while.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Caray's Mexican quote is true. It's included in WSI's White Sox Quotables section.

Just keep clicking... and clicking... and clicking... (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/MainPages/Quotes.htm)

A great way to ignore the Sox game as they're getting eliminated. :smile: :smile:

voodoochile
09-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Once in the Houston Astrodome, Arnie Harris was scoping the crowd during the 8th inning of a Cub/ Astros blowout game.

They found a couple making out, and Harry said "Hey Steve, I bet he kisses her on the strikes and she kisses him on the balls!"

I still laugh when I think about it.

There was silence in the booth for quite a while.

They probably had to kill the mikes because they were laughing so hard...

Viva Magglio
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
They probably had to kill the mikes because they were laughing so hard...

Like the time Hawk (or was it Don Drysdale?) said after a player's bat broke, "You can't get a good piece of ash anymore."

TornLabrum
09-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Or how about when Harry turned to Piersall and said "Jimmy, you're nuts."

"Yeah, and I've got the papers to prove it." said Jimmy.

Those two are largely responsible for me being a fan of the Sox. Good old channel 44...

When Jimmy would go on one of his frequent rants, Harry would eventually ask him, "Hey, Jimmy! Did you take your pill today?"

Lip Man 1
09-25-2003, 10:38 PM
October 1, 1975:

Owner John Allyn appears on Johnny Morris’ sports on WBBM-TV. While talking about the pending sale of the club he says if he does own the team in 1976, Harry Caray won’t be back. Allyn is tired of Caray and wants to fire him. The next day Caray has this retort, " I can’t believe any man can own a ballclub and be as dumb as John Allyn. Did he make enough to own it or did he inherit it?"

Lip

RichH55
09-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
October 1, 1975:

Owner John Allyn appears on Johnny Morris’ sports on WBBM-TV. While talking about the pending sale of the club he says if he does own the team in 1976, Harry Caray won’t be back. Allyn is tired of Caray and wants to fire him. The next day Caray has this retort, " I can’t believe any man can own a ballclub and be as dumb as John Allyn. Did he make enough to own it or did he inherit it?"

Lip

I'm rather sad I was too young for those days(well maybe not the losing)...but as close as I can get is reading old Mike Royco columns......Have to love the retort to Rupert Murdoch owning the paper

LASOXFAN
09-26-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
When Jimmy would go on one of his frequent rants, Harry would eventually ask him, "Hey, Jimmy! Did you take your pill today?"

:D:

LASOXFAN
09-26-2003, 01:29 AM
I'm not the Cub hater many on this site are, but it will forever irk the hell out of me that they make Harry such a Cub icon. I bet you one in twenty Cub fans even knows that Harry used to call Sox games, if that many.

jabrch
09-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I'm not the Cub hater many on this site are, but it will forever irk the hell out of me that they make Harry such a Cub icon. I bet you one in twenty Cub fans even knows that Harry used to call Sox games, if that many.

That Harry was with us for a long time, but that he spent a large portion of his career as a Cardinal...

What do Cubs fans hate more? Cardinals or Sox?