PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox bring back the Alomars?

maurice
09-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Sandy: Really old and really bad. Can't hit, can't field, can't throw, and I really hate the way he calls games. Extra-super-bonus-negative for kissing Jerry's ass all season. Burke, Rivera, or some cheapo FA vet surely couldn't do any worse. Let him ride off into the sunset with JM.

Robbie: Solid D but, at best, he will give you only around a .260 AVE and .330 OBP with little power and little speed. That's pretty bad for a leadoff hitter. There's a good chance he'll post something more like the .230/.300 he's given us down the stretch this season. Currently, the Sox only alternative is Graffy, who's comparable with the bat but worse with the glove. Hummel and Jimenez are Reds, and Harris and Miles probably can't hit any better than either Alomar. Good alternatives at 2B will be available this offseason. KW should go out and get one. If Valentin is returning, it would be nice to have at least one middle infielder who can catch the ball and get on base. It's been a long time.

JRIG
09-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Sandy: Really old and really bad. Can't hit, can't field, can't throw, and I really hate the way he calls games. Extra-super-bonus-negative for kissing Jerry's ass all season. Burke, Rivera, or some cheapo FA vet surely couldn't do any worse. Let him ride off into the sunset with JM.

Robbie: Solid D but, at best, he will give you only around a .260 AVE and .330 OBP with little power and little speed. That's pretty bad for a leadoff hitter. There's a good chance he'll post something more like the .230/.300 he's given us down the stretch this season. Currently, the Sox only alternative is Graffy, who's comparable with the bat but worse with the glove. Hummel and Jimenez are Reds, and Harris and Miles probably can't hit any better than either Alomar. Good alternatives at 2B will be available this offseason. KW should go out and get one. If Valentin is returning, it would be nice to have at least one middle infielder who can catch the ball and get on base.

To answer your question, NO.

Sandy is completely worthless at this point in his career, has been for a couple of years. His initial signing was a testament to KW's love affair with veteran players.

Robbie has played worse here than he did in New York, even though he's moved from a great pitcher's park to a great hitter's park. He's always been overrated defensively, IMHO, making the easy plays look very hard. He's lost all power. The only thing Alomar has going for him is that it appears the Sox may have very few options at 2B.

MetalliSox
09-24-2003, 03:02 PM
I say yes to both.

Sandy as manager/coach of some sort, Robbie to play 2B and bat 2nd. But then who bats lead off?

If no to Robbie, you want Willie starting at 2B?

Randar68
09-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
I say yes to both.

Sandy as manager/coach of some sort, Robbie to play 2B and bat 2nd. But then who bats lead off?

Reed batting first? It's a lot of pressure to put on a young player.

Sign a Castillo or trade for Pierre?

I don't know, but we have too many low-OBP base-cloggers. It's mind-numbing watching this team try to take walks (sans Frank) and running the bases.

MetalliSox
09-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Reed batting first? It's a lot of pressure to put on a young player.

Sign a Castillo or trade for Pierre?

I don't know, but we have too many low-OBP base-cloggers. It's mind-numbing watching this team try to take walks (sans Frank) and running the bases.

Kind of sad that I think Graffanino is the best lead off guy we have on the roster right now.

Mammoo
09-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
I say yes to both.

I agree...I like 'em both.

Some one said Sandy calls a bad game. Please explain :?:

maurice
09-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Reed may bat leadoff eventually, but I'd hate to throw him into that spot out of spring training after only half a season (albeit an extremely good one) at AA. To state the obvious, Castillo or Vidro would be a huge upgrade over our current crop of potential leadoff hitters and 2Bs.

MetalliSox
09-24-2003, 03:33 PM
RBI Double by Everett. 3-2 Yanks.

2nd and 3rd, nobody out!

Nick@Nite
09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Yes