PDA

View Full Version : Williams Has Work To Do

Mammoo
09-24-2003, 11:04 AM
http://www.chicagosportsreview.com/news/newsview.asp?c=75237 :smile:

MisterB
09-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Comments:

1) Koch is going nowhere. They won't release him and he has less trade value than Konerko.

2) Why would Garland and Wright be trade bait? Wright would be no great loss at this point, but unless we re-sign Colon and add another pitcher, that leaves three rotation slots to some combination of Schoeneweis, Rauch, Stewart, Adkins or Cotts. That's not good.

idseer
09-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Comments:

1) Koch is going nowhere. They won't release him and he has less trade value than Konerko.

2) Why would Garland and Wright be trade bait? Wright would be no great loss at this point, but unless we re-sign Colon and add another pitcher, that leaves three rotation slots to some combination of Schoeneweis, Rauch, Stewart, Adkins or Cotts. That's not good.

doesn't anyone feel wright has value as a long reliever or set up?

FarmerAndy
09-24-2003, 12:25 PM
I love how some guy who doesn't know anymore than any of us do at this point writes down his guess on who will stay or go, and somehow it is considered worthy of print.

My 2 cents... (Although I would never consider this newspaper worthy.)

*I believe Kenny will try to re-sign Colon, but the Yankees will out bid any offer Kenny makes. Our rotation won't look good next year.

*Kenny will try to deal Konerko, but nobody will want him. If he does get lucky though, then I'm sure he would re-sign Daubach. If Paulie stays though, which he probably will, then Daubach is gone.

*Frank will be back.

*Kenny will make at least one huge move around Sox-Fest time to get us all excited.

*The Sox will still fall short in 2004. (I'd like to be proved wrong.)

Mammoo
09-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I love how some guy who doesn't know anymore than any of us do at this point writes down his guess on who will stay or go, and somehow it is considered worthy of print.

Andy...isn't that the whole idea...it's fun to conjecture about what might happen. Besides, we are all experts in that we devout countless hours following, observing and analyzing our team. :smile:

....since that's all that's left to us... :(:

CHISOXFAN13
09-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Ofcourse it's fun to speculate, but this guy loses all credibility when I see the Koch will be gone. That's when I stopped reading it.

soxtalker
09-24-2003, 01:55 PM
If Koch returns to form, no problem. If he doesn't do so right away, do the Sox have to keep him on the major league roster? They shipped him down to the minors for a short rehab stint this year, but I don't know if they can send him down indefinitely to work out his problems. If they can't, they might have to bite the bullet and release him. That, of course, incurs the risk that he'll suddenly turn in around with another team -- and we'll foot the bill.

Mammoo
09-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Koch was of no use to the team in the second half.

Why have a closer around in whom you have no confidence. Now, if they don't sign Gordon they'll have to take a flyer on the guy.

We've all seen the guy pitch this year and it was sad the way he got beat around. If they don't move him, it will only be because there are no takers.

He's due to earn $6,375,000 next year...you do the math!!!

Huisj
09-24-2003, 03:19 PM
unless konerko gets traded, i don't think daubach will re-sign with the sox.

akingamongstmen
09-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Scott Schoeneweis is going to be a disaster if he starts for us next year?

DSpivack
09-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Is it just me, or did he fail to mention some guy Magglio Ordonez on this list?

gosox41
09-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
Am I the only one that thinks Scott Schoeneweis is going to be a disaster if he starts for us next year?

No

JRIG
09-25-2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by gosox41

No

What, just because his ERA as a starter in his career is well over 5.00?

Chisox_cali
09-25-2003, 12:13 AM
Jerry Manuel & Staff?

I can see the JM part, but I think it would be quite stupid to fire Cooper as well, he's done a hell of a job with the pitching staff, and it shows. Get rid of Jerry, Kimm, Santana, Walker, but not Coop.

LASOXFAN
09-25-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Is it just me, or did he fail to mention some guy Magglio Ordonez on this list?

I was wondering the same thing!

voodoochile
09-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Jerry Manuel & Staff?

I can see the JM part, but I think it would be quite stupid to fire Cooper as well, he's done a hell of a job with the pitching staff, and it shows. Get rid of Jerry, Kimm, Santana, Walker, but not Coop.

It will come down to who the new manager is. If they actually get an experienced guy, he will want to bring in his own staff.

That is one more reason I expect the Sox to go cheap and inexperienced, because they can make back the money they have to pay JM by letting the assisstant coaches play out their contracts.

Cooper, Nossek, Santana (the defensive coach and clearly worth retaining, IMO) and Walker will all be retained. Kimm may go simply because he is JM's guy and hasn't exactly been spectacular this year.

RichH55
09-25-2003, 12:43 AM

Agreed....He is nice to have coming out of the pen....But is pure gasoline as a Starter