PDA

View Full Version : I'm no 2003 Sox apologist, but...

1951Campbell
09-24-2003, 01:02 AM
The Twinkies just reeled off 10 in a row after laying in the weeds all season. What in God's good name finally happened to them? And why didn't it happen to us?

*sigh*

koch44
09-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
The Twinkies just reeled off 10 in a row after laying in the weeds all season. What in God's good name finally happened to them? And why didn't it happen to us?

*sigh*

Does the middle to late July ring a bell?

VeeckAsInWreck
09-24-2003, 01:08 AM
Major League Baseball gave them the easiest schedule at the end , but that would be too easy to say .......... Actually, the Twins managed to beat those "easy" teams that the Sox couldn't beat. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

It's better not to ask yourself what went wrong, because even if we do get an answer, it doesn't matter. The Twinkies clinched the A.L. Central where 1st place would get you 3rd in any other division! :(:

1951Campbell
09-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by koch44
Does the middle to late July ring a bell?

Come to think of it, April, May and June ring a bell. But 1st place was solely ours a short time ago.

I think JM knows he's getting canned and and carved up Frank's Hummer.

Yes, conspiracy theorists unite. I'm too stressed and too hammered to deal. A month ago I was looking forward to the Sox in October and the Pack in January...now I've got no solace for my law school woes. Damn you JM. Damn you Favre.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Damn you JM. Damn you Favre.

I'll agree with the JM, but I will damn Jauron and Shoop! :angry:

Bucktown
09-24-2003, 02:26 AM
Minnesota has won 10 straight games and is 45-20 since the All-Star break, the best record in baseball. The Twins trailed by 7 1/2 games at the break.

I believe a lot of that has to do with beating up on the worst teams in baseball. I agree that we would still be in this had we not been the team that provided the Tigers more wins than any other team. Getting swept by the Tigers TWICE killed us. I still think Manuel should have been fired after each of those series.

Having said that, I appreciate the Sox making something of a comeback and playing some very good baseball at times. Despite returning to bad form at the end of the season.

Dan H
09-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Blaming the schedule doesn't cut it. The simple fact is the Sox were five games under at the 95 game mark. Playing better for the first 95 games would have helped. Secondly, the Sox lost five straight to the Twins. If you are a contender, you don't do things like that. What we have to remember is that the Sox were in first, two games ahead just a short time ago. They should look in the mirror before they look at the schedule. Losing eight games in the standings in two weeks in inexcusable, I don't care how hot the other team is.

dougs78
09-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Yeah, this is something that one cannot overlook. Sure, the Sox have collapsed including the sweep to the Twins, but we still had an amazing second half.

But lets face it, the Twins have been unbelievable down the stretch. This team has gotten extremely hot and won 17 or their last 20 games including 10 in a row. In fact of those 20, two of the losses were at our hands in the first series at Comiskey.
Going back even further they are 43-20 since the break!! Thats truly an amazing run no matter what schedule you play.

However, nothing about that changes the fact that had the Sox played up the potential they have, it would have been a moot point. It would have been a classic case of "too little too late." The analysts would have been drooling over the Twins winning their last 15 games, but still finishing with only 93 wins while we should probably have 95+.

So while we can say that the Twins have been amazing in the second half, it should not have been enough overcome their first half. (sounds pretty similar to our season)

Hangar18
09-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Difference is, they beat the TIGERS when we couldnt

LuvSox
09-24-2003, 09:43 AM
What in God's good name finally happened to them? And why didn't it happen to us?

:jerry
"I'm what happened to us. I have no idea how to motivate a team with an enormous amount of talent. I don't have the sack to tell guys to stop swinging for the fences. I have no control over this team. I'm like a turd that won't flush, I just keep going around in circles."

Jerko
09-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Many reasons abound for the general malaise that has befallen this franchise since the playoffs of 2000 and remain to this day.
First and foremost, the manager. Nice guy and all, but no business at all as a manager, I will not even rehash the reasons here. Also, this team doesn't even TRY to avoid hitting into double plays. Nobody can hit a fly ball? Nobody can steal a base or send a runner on the pitch? Nobody can bunt? Isn't that stuff you practice in spring training? Also, I am sick of Valentin batting right handed EVER, he should be TOLD to STOP THAT or YOU'RE BENCHED! I can see keeping a .230 hitter around for his defense maybe, that's not the case with Valentin. I am sick of the bullpen merry go round; I don't think the Sox have had a 20 save man in 2 seasons now and Foulke will have almost 50, I'm sick of people getting skipped in the rotation and then sucking for the next 2 games (Garland 13 ERA since he was moved from his turn for a sick Loaiza) because they are pouting, I am sick of .100 hitters being in the linuep every year until it is too late (Julio Ramirez, Willie Harris, Paul Konerko), I am sick of people not knowing how to run the bases, how to hit the cutoff man on a conistant basis etc. Like I said before, the players change, the pitching staff is different every year, the bench coaches are gone, the base coaches have been replaced, and yet, the same exact script happens. Well, if the script sucks for so bad so long, maybe it's time to blame the writers instead of the actors.

chuckn98229
09-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Everyone in the Sox organization had a role in this disgraceful 2003 pennant run - some more that others. But the fact remains that they shoulda but they didn't! Laziness, apathy, mismanagement, stupidity - take your pick.