PDA

View Full Version : Black Tuesday

Chisox353014
09-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Well, it can't possibly get any worse than this. Not only are the Sox officially eliminated, but the Twins clinch the Central, the Yanks win yet another (yawwwnnnn...) East title in our house, and the freaking Scrubs take over first.
I had a feeling something bad was going down tonight, but never in my wildest dreams did I think the Sox, Jndjans, Stros and Reds would combine for a grand total of 4 measly runs in 4 horrid losses. Oh well... time to put Emergency Plan 9: Avoid All Papers, Local News and ESPN Until the Scrubs are Eliminated, into full effect.
:angry:

Kilroy
09-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Oh well... time to put Emergency Plan 9: Avoid All Papers, Local News and ESPN Until the Scrubs are Eliminated, into full effect.

I agree, its time for plan 9. But the thing that really sux is that the way Prior and Zambrano have pitched, and not to mention Wood, I hate to say it, but they could make some noise in October. I'd rather have someone drive a nail thru my sack than live in Chi-Town and have the Cubs make the series this year. And if driving such a nail would prevent it, grab the ****ing hammer.

Viva Magglio
09-23-2003, 11:36 PM
We just experienced Cataclysmic Tuesday.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Maybe I am saying this because I can't avoid it tonight, but doesn't tonight feel worse to be a Sox fan than July 31, 1997?

Is it just me? :(:

Viva Magglio
09-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Maybe I am saying this because I can't avoid it tonight, but doesn't tonight feel worse to be a Sox fan than July 31, 1997?

Is it just me? :(:

This is FAR worse than the White Flag Trade. That trade, while controversial at the time, helped us win the 2000 AL Central title. All tonight does is possibly does (other than assuring that JM is canned) is provide us misery for years to come.

voodoochile
09-24-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
This is FAR worse than the White Flag Trade. That trade, while controversial at the time, helped us win the 2000 AL Central title. All tonight does is possibly does (other than assuring that JM is canned) is provide us misery for years to come.

No, this is bad, but that was disaterous on a grander scale. The Sox shoulda', coulda', woulda' won the division this year with a few more breaks and a different manager, but the WFT decimated the fan base and made the team the laughing stock of professional sports. In fact the term "White Flag Trade" is now a permanent part of the sporting world lexicon and we have JR to thank for it.

5 years from now, no one is going to remember this season, but you can bet someone will bring up July 31, 1997 on a regular basis and with good reason.

Why would the flubbies making the playoffs this year be worse for the Sox than it was in 1998. The Sox image is way better than it was back then and the fans showed up in greater numbers than at any time since 1993. All they need to do is prove they aren't going back to square one and next year the fans will continue to come out. Then it will be a matter of them making something happen on the field just like every year.

This hurts like hell, but in the grander scheme of things, this is a blip on the radar...

mandmandm
09-24-2003, 08:12 AM
The upside to today is that you do not have to watch the Sox suck up the place tonight. Rent a good movie. Read a book, hang with the family, many good options and you do not need to watch the Sox lose and see scores of other games.

chuckn98229
09-24-2003, 08:24 AM
I, too, could not believe how the baseball gods conspired against us already suffering White Sox fans yesterday. Is there no justice to be found? I am now just happy for little comforts - like the fact I live 2000 miles from Chicago and do not have to listen to all the cub-crap day-in and day-out.

Dick Allen
09-24-2003, 08:49 AM
I was at the game last night and saw all those #%&#@!! scores on the out-of-town board. Combined with the crap I saw on the field, I amazed myself for not murdering someone last night.

Procol Harum
09-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
The upside to today is that you do not have to watch the Sox suck up the place tonight. Rent a good movie. Read a book, hang with the family, many good options and you do not need to watch the Sox lose and see scores of other games.

Good points, all. Although I would have been ecstatic to be watching the Sox into early October, it'll be more relaxed around the house for other doin's. The only mild items of interest for the rest of the year are: 1.) If Loaiza can get #20; and, 2.) Seeing if the Sox have the intestinal fortitude to finish ahead of the Royals. Personally, I'm not real optimistic about either.

cheeses_h_rice
09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Good points, all. Although I would have been ecstatic to be watching the Sox into early October, it'll be more relaxed around the house for other doin's. The only mild items of interest for the rest of the year are: 1.) If Loaiza can get #20; and, 2.) Seeing if the Sox have the intestinal fortitude to finish ahead of the Royals. Personally, I'm not real optimistic about either.

Also, Maggs is 1 HR and 4 RBIs shy of another 30/100 year.

Paulwny
09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
If Loaiza can get #20; and,

The yank announcers mentioned that Loaiza was looking past 20 wins and wanted 21. It would either tie or break the record of a Mexican born pitcher pitching in the mlb. My wife was talking at the time and I didn't get all the info.

Maybe NYSOXFAN heard this.

jortafan
09-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The yank announcers mentioned that Loaiza was looking past 20 wins and wanted 21. It would either tie or break the record of a Mexican born pitcher pitching in the mlb. My wife was talking at the time and I didn't get all the info.

Maybe NYSOXFAN heard this.

Fernando Valenzuela won 21 games in 1986, the most ever in a season by a Mexican-born pitcher in the U.S. major leagues. Loaiza actually argued for Manuel to give him two more starts this season so he would have a chance to match that mark.

alohafri
09-24-2003, 09:45 AM
first thing this morning the scrub fan boss starts in on me. "Looks like the Sox are done" and I said yes, then he asks if I saw what kerry wood did yesterday (like I give a rat's butt!) to which I reply, "I don't care--not a cubs fan", so then he accuses me of being "angry".

Who, me? angry? why in the world would I be angry? I mean, I have to work for a scrub fan, and now that the Sox are done, I can listen to all the scrub crap day in and day out now. Me, angry? Bwahhahahahaha!!

--Mrs. Aloha

Dick Allen
09-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Tell him to let you know the next time Kerry baby faces a major league team. He'll probably be rolled up somewhere in a fetal position.

harwar
09-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Its times like this that i'm glad that i live up here on lake wisconsin.I can avoid the cub fans around her and i just have to put up with the packer fans.
However;If the cubs go far into the postseason(and i think this likely with their pitching)there will be no escape and i may be taking that overseas trip earlier than i planned.
What a bummer!!!
When do pitchers & catchers report?

South Sider
09-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by chuckn98229
I, too, could not believe how the baseball gods conspired against us already suffering White Sox fans yesterday. Is there no justice to be found? I am now just happy for little comforts - like the fact I live 2000 miles from Chicago and do not have to listen to all the cub-crap day-in and day-out.

:) :) :)

I'm not sure how far away I am (maybe 6000 miles ????)
but believe me.....it really really really hurts here too :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Yesterday was really a BLACK DAY FOR THE SOX

I can't wait 'til April !!!!!