PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Clinching here may be the best thing for us this Year

dllrbll7
09-23-2003, 10:42 PM
The way i look at these players should have to sit and watch how it feels to win and how much it hurts to be the one not celebrating. We went and celebrated in Minnesota in 2000 and look whats happened since then, they have been the ones celebrating for the past 2 of 3 years

Daver
09-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
The way i look at these players should have to sit and watch how it feels to win and how much it hurts to be the one not celebrating. We went and celebrated in Minnesota in 2000 and look whats happened since then, they have been the ones celebrating for the past 3 years

The Yankees better win tomorrow then,because they can't clinch tonite,the Red Sox won in the tenth.

OurBitchinMinny
09-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Cleveland won in 2001..The twins have just won the last 2 years, with less talent than the white sox both years

dllrbll7
09-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Cleveland won in 2001..The twins have just won the last 2 years, with less talent than the white sox both years

Thats right ill fix that

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 10:58 PM
Yankees magic number was 1. Boston HAD to win to avoid elimination. They did, but the Yankees won. Magic number = 0.

A pathetic effort by the Sox.

LASOXFAN
09-24-2003, 12:28 AM
The way i look at these players should have to sit and watch how it feels to win and how much it hurts to be the one not celebrating. We went and celebrated in Minnesota in 2000 and look whats happened since then, they have been the ones celebrating for the past 2 of 3 years

B.S.

Paulwny
09-24-2003, 07:25 AM

One of the yank announcers last night ~ I doubt they'll do much celebrating. The play-offs were a given at the start of the season. The real season begins next week.

The yankmee arrogance is too much.

NewyorkSoxFan
09-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
One of the yank announcers last night ~ I doubt they'll do much celebrating. The play-offs were a given at the start of the season. The real season begins next week.

The yankmee arrogance is too much.

I don't see that as arrogance, I see it as expecting to win every year. I see it as an attitude. The Bulls had that same attitude during the 90's. The season was just a prelude to what they were playing for and that was "Championships".

Jim Kaat who I like alot as an analyst (we should have DJ take tapes home to listen to Kaat, and Singleton) anyway made a point about Jose's comments about only coming back if we were trying to be a winner. Kaat blasted him by saying that maybe if he stop trying to hit homeruns and worked on getting on base, and playing better defense and do some little things maybe he would already be on a winner. Kaat doesn't do that often so I found it interesting.

NYSF

Paulwny
09-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I don't see that as arrogance, I see it as expecting to win every year. I see it as an attitude. The Bulls had that same attitude during the 90's. The season was just a prelude to what they were playing for and that was "Championships".

Jim Kaat who I like alot as an analyst (we should have DJ take tapes home to listen to Kaat, and Singleton) anyway made a point about Jose's comments about only coming back if we were trying to be a winner. Kaat blasted him by saying that maybe if he stop trying to hit homeruns and worked on getting on base, and playing better defense and do some little things maybe he would already be on a winner. Kaat doesn't do that often so I found it interesting.

NYSF

Agree, I also like Kaat.

I believe it was Kay who made the statement about the play-offs..., he's the typical arrogant yankee fan although, I also like his observations on the game.

NewyorkSoxFan
09-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Agree, I also like Kaat.

I believe it was Kay who made the statement, he's the typical arrogant yankee fan although, I also like his observations on the game.

No it was Kaat, b/c it kinda shocked me coming from him. But I agree Kay is very arrogant, but I guess Hawk would be the same way if we went to the playoffs 8 yrs in a row.

NYSF

Paulwny
09-24-2003, 07:51 AM
No it was Kaat, b/c it kinda shocked me coming from him. But I agree Kay is very arrogant, but I guess Hawk would be the same way if we went to the playoffs 8 yrs in a row.

NYSF

Agree, Kaat mentioned Jose but wasn't it Kay who talked, season, play-offs?

NewyorkSoxFan
09-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Agree, Kaat mentioned Jose but wasn't it Kay who talked, season, play-offs?

Yea that was Kay. Living in NY and watching George freak out every other day you would think they were 5 games over .500. But I guess it works, they win. But Torre did a great job putting up with all that and still keeping that team focused.

NYSF

Hangar18
09-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Yup. hope they do it right here, right in their faces, so they can
see what they missed out

KingXerxes
09-24-2003, 10:04 AM
As much as I dislike the Yankees, I have to hand it to them. Their "celebration" on the field last night epitomized the organization. They realize they have simply accomplished what they were supposed to do, and now the real job starts - this is a team of pros. Teams like this don't panic, and they don't choke.....like some I know.

I've railed on this before, but just look back to the night before when Ordonez hit the walk-off home run. Now I'll admit to being happy that we just beat the Yankees, but come on - the celebrating at home plate was too over the top. This team had just played themselves right out of what most people thought (myself included) of a sure division title. The home run was nice - but it was an empty victory to say the least. The hopping and back slapping and such must have looked like a joke in the opposite dugout. I'm sure the emotion and happiness of all the White Sox players was legitimate - and that's the scary part. How can this team be such a gleeful bunch when they've just kicked away a playoff opportunity?

Viva Magglio
09-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Yea that was Kay. Living in NY and watching George freak out every other day you would think they were 5 games over .500. But I guess it works, they win. But Torre did a great job putting up with all that and still keeping that team focused.

NYSF

I wish we had an owner that would freak out every other day.

jortafan
09-24-2003, 10:33 AM
At least one Yankee type got a bit carried away

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=1455137&nav=3YeXI9sg

Hullett_Fan
09-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jortafan

Does that mean the asst. to the traveling secretary, Mr. George Costanza, takes over for this guy??? :D:

cheeses_h_rice
09-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jortafan

Travelling secretary?

Wasn't that George Costanza's title?

(Yeah, I know, he was the ASSISTANT to the Travelling Secretary. Work with me.)

:)

Hullett_Fan
09-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Travelling secretary?

Wasn't that George Costanza's title?

(Yeah, I know, he was the ASSISTANT to the Travelling Secretary. Work with me.)

:)

Beat you to it! :D:

harwar
09-24-2003, 10:48 AM
I listened to the yankee broadcast and i didn't have a problem with anything they said.When you win as much as they do its just a different mindset then what we(who usually lose) have.
One thing tho.I guess Big Frank said that the yankees should win with all the money that they spend.It was derek jeter who heard about that and said that the twins don't spend much money and they didn't have any trouble beating the White Sox...touchy(as in touche)..derek..very touchy.

voodoochile
09-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I wish we had an owner that would freak out every other day.

I don't know if this was sarcasm or not, but I don't care if the owner runs down State Street naked every hour on the hour if they spend $180M on the payroll...

jortafan
09-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Does that mean the asst. to the traveling secretary, Mr. George Costanza, takes over for this guy??? :D:

I thought the Yankees traded George Costanza to Tyler Chicken of Arkansas in exchange for chicken-flavored beer, or some other inanity.

Foulke You
09-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I've railed on this before, but just look back to the night before when Ordonez hit the walk-off home run. Now I'll admit to being happy that we just beat the Yankees, but come on - the celebrating at home plate was too over the top. This team had just played themselves right out of what most people thought (myself included) of a sure division title. The home run was nice - but it was an empty victory to say the least. The hopping and back slapping and such must have looked like a joke in the opposite dugout. I'm sure the emotion and happiness of all the White Sox players was legitimate - and that's the scary part. How can this team be such a gleeful bunch when they've just kicked away a playoff opportunity?

I think most of that emotion was directed at Magglio Ordonez. It was his first ever career walk off homer. I think that is why most of the team was celebrating a little more than usual.