PDA

View Full Version : Flubs.....(cry)

HawkDJ
09-23-2003, 09:29 PM
The Flubs are a few innings away from taking the lead in the NL central.
:whiner:
Cubs winning 6-0
Astros losing 10-0
:whiner:

This should be a Flubs are making the playoffs emotitional support thread.

MRKARNO
09-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Well at least Wood's no hitter bid fell short or else it might have been worse

Nick@Nite
09-23-2003, 09:44 PM
... they will get bounced by the Braves. After which the Braves will then make their post season exit.

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2003, 09:49 PM
I had to laugh when Hawk said the Giants scored 10 in the 2nd inning against the Stros.

Meanwhile, the Flubbies are playing the Reds. This is after playing the Pirates. And the Mets.

I guess they can still choke, but I'm not counting on it anymore.

MRKARNO
09-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
... they will get bounced by the Braves. After which the Braves will then make their post season exit.

The Giants have just proved that they are the team to beat in the NL, if not the MLB....

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The Giants have just proved that they are the team to beat in the NL, if not the MLB....

I agree and to be honest, the flubbies making the playoffs isn't that big of a deal to me. They will lose to whomever they play in the first round, IMO. No offense and they won't be playing the dregs of the NL anymore.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 11:18 PM
I hate to bring more bad news but I'm not so sure the Braves can beat the Cubs.

Atlanta doesn't have the superlative pitching anymore, while Prior has been unbeatable. He could easily beat the Braves twice himself.

I was shocked when I read this in the paper this morning but the story said with the half dozen veteran acquisitions by the Cubs their payroll was almost 90 million dollars!

There is absolutely, positively no way the White Sox can compete against that with a payroll in the mid 50's at best.

If the Cubs are going to finally flex their muscles and become a big market club while the Sox from the same city continue to think "small," they are done.

Lip

MHOUSE
09-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Woods was dealing despite that fluke hit. 12 K? I still think he's overrated, but tonight he was on. 14 wins is his new career high IIRC. At least one Chicago team is doing well.

oheeoh...magglio
09-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Am I the only one here that doesn't care about the Cubs?? I mean, yeah, if they win I have to listen to their Idiot fans, but when they lose, I STILL have to listen to their idiot fans say how they should have won, and how the umps screwed them over or how they got a bad break or whatever. I am a White Sox fan, die hard, but I really don't wanna waste my time worrying about what the real "evil empire" is doing. If they lose, great, but if they win, who cares??? I know i'll take heat for saying that, but it's just my opinion, and that's why WSI is here right?? So Sox fans can speak out on what they think.

Kilroy
09-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
At least one Chicago team is doing well.

Don't start that **** in here! I'm pretty disgusted with the Sox, and it is 10 times worse because the Cubs are about skid into the playoffs on the cream filling of the cupcakes they are playing down the stretch. And God help us Sox fans if they even so much as win a game in the post season. Chicago life will be unbearable.

MarkEdward
09-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I hate to bring more bad news but I'm not so sure the Braves can beat the Cubs.

Atlanta doesn't have the superlative pitching anymore, while Prior has been unbeatable. He could easily beat the Braves twice himself.

Yeah, it's not like Russ Ortiz, Greg Maddux, and Mike Hampton have been pitching well this year...

I was shocked when I read this in the paper this morning but the story said with the half dozen veteran acquisitions by the Cubs their payroll was almost 90 million dollars!

You're right Lip. The Sox should be pursuing the Lenny Harris', Tom Goodwins, and Doug Glanvilles of Major League Baseball.

There is absolutely, positively no way the White Sox can compete against that with a payroll in the mid 50's at best.

You're right again. Teams like the Twins, Athletics, and Marlins just can't compete with a low payroll.

HawkDJ
09-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Logically you would think the Cubs would lose in the first round, but at least they have a chance. That's more than the Sox can say. With their starting pitching you never know what could happen. Now with the Sox out of it, that's what I'm worried about.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey stat boy here's something for you to choke on.

Atlanta's 9th in the league in pitching.

Those guys have pitched well (as I said back in the spring when the doomsayers were saying the Braves were through) but the days when Atlanta's big three were unbeatable are over. Ortiz, Maddux and Hampton don't compare to what Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux did in their prime.

Lip

oheeoh...magglio
09-23-2003, 11:52 PM

Those guys have pitched well (as I said back in the spring when the doomsayers were saying the Braves were through) but the days when Atlanta's big three were unbeatable are over. Ortiz, Maddux and Hampton don't compare to what Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux did in their prime.

Lip

Oh yeah, the cubs offense is real potent, it will rip up the braves weak pitching staff. Come on man, get real, the cubs have no shot at the braves. Atlanta will score plenty of runs on the cubs, because of their superior offense, and the cubs won't be able to buy a run. Cubs might win a game, but that's it.

ChiSox21
09-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Don't forget the fact that the flubs bullpen sucks and there hitting is inconsistent. Atlanta has the best hitting in the league plus a decent bullpen to go along with ok starters.

ChiSox21
09-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Im thinking about whether or not i should make a bet w/ another flub fan on the Atlanta series cuz im not sure who would win but i wanna make the bet just to shut him up. Then again i normally don't give a crap what the flubs do but this is different cuz its the playoffs and we'll never hear the end of it if they win

ChiSox21
09-24-2003, 12:01 AM
The Braves strategy should be to just get to the bullpen and hold the Cubs offense to low runs. Prior and Wood will be tough but just make them throw a lotta pitches. I can't wait for this season to be over cuz im sick of Jerry and i want the Flubs to be eliminated so i dont have to here about them anymore.

oheeoh...magglio
09-24-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox21
Im thinking about whether or not i should make a bet w/ another flub fan on the Atlanta series cuz im not sure who would win but i wanna make the bet just to shut him up. Then again i normally don't give a crap what the flubs do but this is different cuz its the playoffs and we'll never hear the end of it if they win

They won't win, I have faith in the Billy Goat, pick the Braves my friend.

ChiSox21
09-24-2003, 12:09 AM
I hope your right, if not ill just go double or nuthing the next series, but i gotta decide how much to bet, But from now until the first game of next season its go Astros and since they sucked yet again it will be GO Braves in the playoffs. Lets go Atlanta at least 1/4 of chicago will be rooting for Atlanta.

Viva Magglio
09-24-2003, 12:32 AM
The Cubs' moving into sole possession into first place is salt on the open wound of what happened to us tonight. With apologies to Les (who, despite his fondness for the Cubs, is a good friend of ours and an even bigger friend of WSI) and all the genuinely good people who cheer for the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc., I hope the Cubs fall flat on their faces.

This 2003 Cub team making the playoffs would bother me much more than the 1984, 1989, and even 1998 teams making the playoffs did. Why? Because as Boers and Bernstein said the other day, a lot of these Cub players are jerkoffs. Dusty Baker is a JO. Mark Prior is a JO. Moises Alou is a JO (read If They Don't Win It's a Shame if you don't believe me). And you will be shocked to see me call Sammy Sosa a JO.

In another thread on this topic earlier in the week, someone compared this Cub team to Chuck Daly's "Bad Boys" Detroit Pistons. That is too mild for me. This Cub team is Forrest Gregg's "JO" Green Bay Packers. And Forrest Baker/Dusty Gregg is the leader of this current motley crew of JO's. He defends his players whenever they do something of ill repute (i.e., Corkgate), yet he gets all bent out of shape when someone from a opposing team does something he does not like (i.e., yelling "F*** you!!!" at Tony LaRussa or complaining about lame duck manager Jerry Manuel celebrating a Sox win over the Cubs).

I am hoping for a complete and total Cub collapse and a steamroll by the Astros and the Marlins. You know damn well that a Cub postseason appearance alone, coupled with our choke, will make this winter totally unbearable.

We are dealing with our extreme worst nightmare here.

DSpivack
09-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Well, I never have been a big fan of the Braves, but never really minded them. Going to school in Atlanta, I have become somewhat of a Falcons fan.

But I definetely will be rooting for the Braves now.

Go ATL!

Maybe I'll even go to a playoff game here; not like tickets are hard to come by. [Which is much worse than any attendance problems in Chicago; but hey, when you're spoiled you're spoiled]

pudge
09-24-2003, 01:22 AM
I look at it this way - if the Cubs get in, at least we can watch them get eliminated. That will be fun.

Of course, maybe ex-Sox Kip Wells will do us a favor.

Speaking of Kip... man, how nice would it have been to have him this year? For all the praise people gave KW this year, that Ritchie trade was awful...

Win1ForMe
09-24-2003, 01:35 AM

Lip

The good news is that, if anything, the Braves have at least proved that there's more to winning in the playoffs than just great starting pitching. Teams still need to hit and I don't think the Cubs can touch the Braves in hitting. I'm rooting for the Braves and hope they go all the way.

Also, is there a less talented team on paper than the Giants? They have a total of like 3 players which are any damn good. Mark my words, that team isn't going anywhere and I think the Marlins (if that's the matchup) can beat them.

DrCrawdad
09-24-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I had to laugh when Hawk said the Giants scored 10 in the 2nd inning against the Stros.

Meanwhile, the Flubbies are playing the Reds. This is after playing the Pirates. And the Mets.

I guess they can still choke, but I'm not counting on it anymore.

Wait till you read this Cubbie fan's complaint about the Cubbies schedule compared to Houston.

One more thought about schedules -- there have been criticisms by various teams about "differing" schedules due to the way the interleague matchups are now scheduled. Between the Cubs and Astros, the Cubs are the ones with the complaint, if there was one to be made.
The two clubs both played the Yankees, Devil Rays and Orioles. Houston played Boston while the Cubs played Toronto.
But the Astros played two series against the Rangers while the Cubs played two series against the White Sox.
Which one would you say had the tougher time?

This guy has completely glossed over the fact that the Cubbies have the luxury of playing bad teams at the end of the season. These are teams that were bad BEFORE they traded away their much of their ML talent.

The Reds and the Pirates are now AAA teams. Beating them now is not the same as before they traded away their many of their top players.

If the Cubbies get eliminated, it will be by lousy AAA teams. The Sox were eliminated by the AL Central Champions.

white sox bill
09-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Should our fuzzy neighboors to the north get too cocky, remind them who won this years City Championship.

I'm going on Prozac real soon. I don't want to even envision what COULD happen should they advance, kind of like envisioning a nuclear attack from North Korea.
Bill

kittle42
09-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
Should our fuzzy neighboors to the north get too cocky, remind them who won this years City Championship.

Bill

I hate these empty arguments. To me, it's like bragging about 1906.

MarkEdward
09-24-2003, 01:23 PM

The Braves play in a hitters' park. Of course their teams' ERA will be inflated.

Let's take a look at a park-neutral stat, OK? Using SNVA, the Braves are seventh in the NL in pitching. Most of the teams ahead of them play in extreme pitchers' parks (Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Marlins).

Of course, it also takes offense to win a series. The Braves clearly dominate the Cubs in this category.

Well, obviously. I was in no way comparing Maddux, Hampton, and Ortiz to Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz.

alohafri
09-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Don't start that **** in here! I'm pretty disgusted with the Sox, and it is 10 times worse because the Cubs are about skid into the playoffs on the cream filling of the cupcakes they are playing down the stretch. And God help us Sox fans if they even so much as win a game in the post season. Chicago life will be unbearable.

I have to agree 100% on that, it's already becoming unbearable working for a boss who is a scrub fan.

:(:

(Mrs. Aloha)

DrCrawdad
09-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
I have to agree 100% on that, it's already becoming unbearable working for a boss who is a scrub fan.

:(:

(Mrs. Aloha)

This sounds like it qualifies as workplace harassment. You should watch Jerry Springer and contact one of the lawyers that advertise on that type of program.