PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Thread - Sox vs. Yankees - September 23, 2003

VeeckAsInWreck
09-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Is anyone still watching? :?:

Unregistered
09-23-2003, 08:01 PM
zzzz... does anyone care? :?:

(cue tumbleweed)

1-0 Yanks, Bottom 4

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Mrs. PHG grabbed the TV for Queer Eye. It's a measure of how far the Sox have fallen that they've been replaced by the Fab Five in the PHG household.

:smile:

Unregistered
09-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Heh, funny how no one puts one up for an hour and yet we manage to post one within seconds of each other...

VeeckAsInWreck
09-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Heh, funny how no one puts one up for an hour and yet we manage to post one within seconds of each other...

Great minds think alike! :smile:

or so it was explained to me by someone smarter! :D:

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2003, 08:12 PM
I'm here. Not exactly paying "close" attention to the game, but whatever.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'm here. Not exactly paying "close" attention to the game, but whatever.

Wow! You just described High School for many folks here! :D:

Daver
09-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Wow! You just described High School for many folks here! :D:

I resemble that remark,but in my case it was college........

Nick@Nite
09-23-2003, 08:27 PM
My date tonight with both of those "twins" from that beer commercial fell through due to them being quarantined after their exposure to the Guatemalan Flu. :o:

So instead I thought I'd listen to the Sox game. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 08:27 PM
Would this tag be too obvious to use...

:corpseball ?

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2003, 08:29 PM
How 'bout a tag for crappy, rag-assed defense by Jose V.?

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 08:29 PM
More happy news...

Tonight, September 23, the Flubbies will take sole possession of FIRST PLACE in the NL Central.

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
More happy news...

Tonight, September 23, the Flubbies will take sole possession of FIRST PLACE in the NL Central.

Break out the Schlitz.

SoxEd
09-23-2003, 08:46 PM
Break out the Schlitz.

I know you used teal, but after tonight I'm thinking that a descent into the strange and terrible world of Absinthe may be more appropriate (though God knows, only a short one).
Ugh.

SoxEd
09-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Another question, if anyone's out there;

After last night's sellout, what's tonight's attendance figure?
What proportion are Yanks fans?
Is it another half-price biggy, or has everyone decided to stay home and/or enjoy the game in a bar?

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2003, 09:14 PM
I don't think last night was a sellout; I thought the attendance was in the upper 30s. Tonight I thought heard Hawk say 30 something. I do hear a decent amount of Yankee fans in the crowd.

Twins will have clinched the division before all's said and done tonight, sad to say. Sox offense is still buried in Roselawn Cemetery 2nite.

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2003, 09:36 PM
And our season is sealed on yet another Jason Giambi home run (similar to 2002).

How fitting.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 09:37 PM
If the Sox can't win (and we know they won't), I'm glad a team like the Yankees will clinch it in front of the lifeless corpses inside the Sox dugout and for all Sox Fans to see right inside U.S. Cellular Field.

They are winners. Our team is losers. Please note the difference.

:reinsy
"No problem. It's all your fault. Thank you, and good night!"

Nick@Nite
09-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Why don't they set up a batting-tee at home plate and let the Yankee hitters simply swing away to their hearts content.

FJA
09-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Ugh ... so we're probably going to get shut out big time, see the Twins clinch the division and and the Flubs move into first all on the same day.

Who needs a drink?

At least Sox Fest tickets are on sale.

Seriously, who is going to buy Sox Fest tickets: 1) Watching this particular ballgame, and 2) In September.

Daver
09-23-2003, 09:40 PM
If the Sox can't win (and we know they won't), I'm glad a team like the Yankees will clinch it in front of the lifeless corpses inside the Sox dugout and for all Sox Fans to see right inside U.S. Cellular Field.

The Yankees can't clinch tonite,the Red Sox won in the tenth.

SoxEd
09-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by FJA

Who needs a drink?

Yep, it's definitely absinthe time...

P.S. yes, I have pre-warned the local hospital's Emergency Dept.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Double-play from Konerko. That's TWO on the night!

Fitting. Perfectly fitting.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-23-2003, 09:53 PM
wow! konerko advanced ordonez to 3rd! of course after grounding out into a double play :angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Valentin swings and misses. Strike three. Sox Lose.

Yankees clinch.

At least somebody is celebrating on the South Side. That's as close as we'll ever get...

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Double-play from Konerko. That's TWO on the night!

Fitting. Perfectly fitting.

Hmm. Say, you think Paulie will be talking any smack about the Twins *this* offseason?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Manuel puts the blame on Twins pitchers getting hot at the right time.

So there you go. We were just unlucky.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Post-game press conference sounds like a post mortem...

:jerry
"Just didn't get it done..."

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 10:14 PM

:reinsy
"No problem. It's all your fault. Thank you, and good night!"

Interesting parallel to the way the Sox clinched in Minnesota in 2000. Hopefully it will inspire the Sox to greatness...

JRIG
09-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Hmm. Say, you think Paulie will be talking any smack about the Twins *this* offseason?

Konerko is now 2 for his last 41.

But at least he makes the throw from first to second more consistently than Frank.

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd
Yep, it's definitely absinthe time...

P.S. yes, I have pre-warned the local hospital's Emergency Dept.

I thought it was only dangerous if you used it for a long period of time like those famous poets and artists of the 19th century.

Jagermeister had opiates in it when it first came over, but they made them take the poppy seeds out of the recipe for sale in America. Still, those first few years you would see people doing some funny stuff when they drank a little too much of it and it really came on strong as a shot drink...

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Sure glad the Sox won last night to clinch a winning season because these buffoons are in such a hurry to get out of town and hit the golf courses that I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the last five and finish 82-80.

I'll be curious to see if they can beat the hung over Yankees tomorrow. You'd think they'd give a damn to try to get Loazia his 20th, but you never know with these clowns.

Lip

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sure glad the Sox won last night to clinch a winning season because these buffoons are in such a hurry to get out of town and hit the golf courses that I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the last five and finish 82-80.

I'll be curious to see if they can beat the hung over Yankees tomorrow. You'd think they'd give a damn to try to get Loazia his 20th, but you never know with these clowns.

Lip

Yeah, and a week ago, you said they would lose them all. And if they win tomorrow, you'll predict they'll lose the last four.

Your predicting powers suck too and to be honest, they aren't even fun predictions.

I bet you are a riot at funerals and wakes...

oheeoh...magglio
09-23-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry, but this year should have been so much more. Since I can remember being a sox fan (1992) i've NEVER been this disappointed. I know it's not a long time, but this team should have done so much more. I put some of the blame on Manuel, who MUST be fired, but part of it was the players. This team quit, they had nothing at the baggy dome, and I don't know whether they quit on Manuel or quit in general, but what a dissappointment this team was. There still my boys though, and hopefully we don't dwell on this dissapointment, SPEND SOME MONEY in the offseason to bring ppl back (ie Colon) and try and make a run at it next year with a new skipper.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Voodoo:

My predictive powers are as good as yours then...or don't you recall all those "the Sox are going to win tomorrow posts..." LOL

and for the record: 4-9 in their last 13 games.

You don't like it....talk to the folks responsible or write something for the site explaining your reasoning to be "optimistic."

I'd enjoy reading it.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Hey Voodoo, from the "official AP recap"

"White Sox fans already were disgruntled with their team's late collapse, and Tuesday night's rout didn't help their mood . By the eighth inning, they were more interested in doing "The Wave" than watching the team lose another game.

And when Frank Thomas struck out for the third out in the eighth, fans booed before heading for the exits."

While you're at it try getting pissed off at all of those fans as well.

Lip

Daver
09-23-2003, 11:04 PM

You don't like it....talk to the folks responsible or write something for the site explaining your reasoning to be "optimistic."

I'd enjoy reading it.

Lip

Voodoo is one of the folks responsible,the hours he puts in working for this site at 0 pay are numerous.

I think this argument would be better dropped right now.

oheeoh...magglio
09-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Voodoo:

My predictive powers are as good as yours then...or don't you recall all those "the Sox are going to win tomorrow posts..." LOL

and for the record: 4-9 in their last 13 games.

I'd enjoy reading it.

Lip

Man, you are being too hard on Voodoo, IMO. He is a frusterated Sox fan, just like the rest of us, and he's entitled to an opinion without you trying to basically demerit it as worthless.

voodoochile
09-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Hey Voodoo, from the "official AP recap"

"White Sox fans already were disgruntled with their team's late collapse, and Tuesday night's rout didn't help their mood . By the eighth inning, they were more interested in doing "The Wave" than watching the team lose another game.

And when Frank Thomas struck out for the third out in the eighth, fans booed before heading for the exits."

While you're at it try getting pissed off at all of those fans as well.

Lip

I don't like boobirds, Lip. Never have, never will. I have maybe booed 5 times in my life a team I was a fan of and most of those were players or coaches who were stinking the joint up royally.

1)Cade McNown
2)Jerry Manuel
3)The other Castillo (not Carlos) sometime in the late 90's. He came out the first 5 times that season and got absolutely spanked. He was supposed to be a rock in the bullpen, but he was more like a lead weight.

I can't remember any others actually, so maybe it is only 3. I am sure there are others, but it just isn't in my nature so it isn't common.

I do allow other fans to root as they please, but rarely hear them when at the games. Here, I can see your venom just fine and so you get it back from me. You are a pessimist by nature (when it comes to the Sox at least). I am an optimist by nature in all things. So we clash. Nature of the beast and all that.

Sox fans do have a right to be ticked off when their team stinks it up as badly as they have these last 2 weeks of the season. I have no problem with that. I don't understand the need to say, "They may not win another game" after every win. You said it when they got swept by the Twins (may not make .500). You then said, they may not make it over .500. Now they just will remain at 82 - probably out of spite for you and the rest of the boo birds out there. Like I said, no matter how down I get, you always seem to cheer me up because I can't see the world as darkly as you do. It's just not in my nature.

But, thanks for letting me blow off steam. No hard feelings and all that.

BTW, I write a recap a week at least, so if you want to see my take on things, go back and read the TBGR's that are written by The Warden. Might try a column next year, but I prefer the give and take of the message boards and tend to say what I think here. In addition, I have never complained about the negative nature of the site. In fact, I defend it vigorously against such attacks which I think are unfair. You post negative crap in the forums and I will respond and call you on it when I think you are being silly. That's my right, just as it is your right to post the negative crap you post and the difference in viewpoints and opinions is part of what makes these forums fun.