PDA

View Full Version : What do you think JR/KW will do?

Viva Magglio
09-23-2003, 09:11 AM
There are two main schools of thought. They will either go for it next year or they will launch a youth movement. I am hopeful that they will go for it, especially considering Bruce Levine's theory about ballpark renovations. Also, with success happening on the North Side, the resulting jealous rage among us Sox fans is very much felt in the front office. Reinsdorf hates the Cubs as much as we do, despite his "Cubs town" comments. Hence, the front office would feel the need to field a competitive team.

Hokiesox
09-23-2003, 09:41 AM
I being the optimist hope they will go for it. Talk of "white flags" around the White sox brings some awful memories and continued pain in every WS fan's side. NO MORE WHITE FLAGS! PLEASE!

Dadawg_77
09-23-2003, 09:48 AM
The Sox will make a move in December. The taste of disappointment will still be fresh in everyones mouths, the Sox will need to do something in order to prevent a bad drop of season ticket renewals. First off people will not renew since there will be no All Star Game, secondly I know some season ticket holders, myself included, who are seriously considering not renewing just because of the bitter taste this season has left. If you didn't know I believe the first payment for renewed season tickets is due in Dec.

Hokiesox
09-23-2003, 10:27 AM
would the firing of JM get you to renew?

Dadawg_77
09-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
would the firing of JM get you to renew?

No, they could replace him with Terry Bevington.

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 10:41 AM
There isn't enough young talent that is MLB ready in AAA to try a youth movement.

They have to sign some free agents unless they want to guarantee a 3rd or 4th place finish next year.

harwar
09-23-2003, 11:08 AM
I don't expect a youth movement but i expect that some key players will be delt and be replaced with CHEAP older players available on the FA market.I think that JR told KW to go for it this year because any extra money next year will be used for the ballpark.

idseer
09-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I don't expect a youth movement but i expect that some key players will be delt and be replaced with CHEAP older players available on the FA market.I think that JR told KW to go for it this year because any extra money next year will be used for the ballpark.

ditto

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 12:32 PM
All very good points and certainly these things could happen (i.e. "go for it...")

However in my opinion, the most pressing issue to Uncle Jerry isn't his hated of the Cubs, or the fact that the Sox don't have enough "Kids Can Play III" but this....

Nothing in this world means as much to him as the size of his profit margin and his obsessive desire to break the players union.

Therefore he will not be a party to raising the payroll nor to signing players to large, big money long term contracts.

Unfortunately that's reality....but take hope, he's not getting any younger. Maybe we can outlive him and hang around for better days on the South Side.

(Let that be an incentive to all of you to start working out!)

Lip

Clarkdog
09-23-2003, 12:55 PM
This is a business/marketing decision pure and simple.

The Sox must compete and contend in order to sustain the marketing momentum generated by the Sox relative "success" this year. I say "success" because the Sox generated interest in the marketplace and improved attendance among the casual fan in spite of the Cubs success.

If the Chicago baseball consumer is looking at a reason why the Sox momentum was stymied late in the season against the Twins, they are looking no further than Manuel. He will be gone on Monday - book it.

No replacement will be named - yet. That is a marketing decision as much as it is a baseball decision - it will make news for the Sox, and spark debate and discussion among fans while the Cubs either are in the playoffs or sitting at home. It's to assure the Sox do not go dark from a media perspective while the Cubs attempt to garner all the attention if in fact they do play in October. Don't be surprised if KW hints at who he is looking to keep and he he will seek to obtain in the offseason as well. They will not rebuild - they are going to retool.

The Sox must make some news. Shortly after the playoffs are concluded - the Sox will leak their preferred managerial candidates. The new manager will be hired just before the winter meetings, then speculation will begin on who the Sox will entertain in the free agent market. Leading up to Sox Fest to generate buzz among fans about the prospects of the upcoming season.

That's what I would do.

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 01:03 PM
One point about this issue.

The flubbies are at capacity for their stadium for the year. They will end up selling 93%+ of their available seats this year. With their playoff run, they will be sure to sell that many seats next year too. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Cleveland Indians type situation where the whole season is sold out before the first pitch is thrown.

So, if casual fans want to watch live major league baseball next year, they will have to watch the Sox. If the Sox suck, they won't draw that fan nearly as well as they will if they are successful. We saw some of it this year when weeknight crowds were stronger because of raised expectations and lack of availability of flubbie tickets.

I expect the Sox to go after that casual dollar next year by fielding a strong team. If they don't then we will know once and for all that JR is an idiot who just doesn't get it...

duke of dorwood
09-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Might be a good time to test some young pitchers while there are some vets in the field behind them. May be different vets that what you see now, however